Am I the greatest Stone Roses fan on the forum?

Peter hook?

Peter Hook is a strange one. On the face of it he seems to be a frustrated guitarist, who plays high up the frett on his bass. There was a constant battle with Barney in New Order, as he wanted to use synth basses. Technically Hooky is nowhere near as good as some of the great bass players. You could argue Tom Champan who has replaced him in New Order is a more proficient bassist.

Yet he has a totally distinctive style that just stands out. It has drove and distinguished 2 of the most important, influential and era defining bands this country has ever produced. Hookys bass playing has been a key part of both bands.

Peter Hook is a strange one. On the face of it he seems to be a frustrated guitarist, who plays high up the frett on his bass. There was a constant battle with Barney in New Order, as he wanted to use synth basses. Technically Hooky is nowhere near as good as some of the great bass players. You could argue Tom Champan who has replaced him in New Order is a more proficient bassist.

Yet he has a totally distinctive style that just stands out. It has drove and distinguished 2 of the most important, influential and era defining bands this country has ever produced. Hookys bass playing has been a key part of both bands.
There are a lot of technically gifted bass players that all sound the same. Hookys style was probably born of not actually understanding his instrument or its role, but within 2 seconds of hearing him on the radio you know who it is. That makes him great (imho).

Bit of a stone roses trivia test for fans. Who said this about who...

He is a socially inept outcast, really strange fella. I tried engaging in convo but he didn't like me, his squirming pathetic body language gave it away.

I was talking to ************** and his Mrs having the craic and ******** just kept looking over and staring. When either myself or ********noticed he sheepishly turned away. I really couldn't work out whether he wanted to bum me or kill me. Put it this way, I wouldn't of liked him to have babysat my daughters when they were young
Morrissey?

There are a lot of technically gifted bass players that all sound the same. Hookys style was probably born of not actually understanding his instrument or its role, but within 2 seconds of hearing him on the radio you know who it is. That makes him great (imho).

Didn't his bass have a bit of a bend at the top of the neck so the lower notes would not stay in tune? Hence him playing the higher notes.

It must be more than just that - @BlueMoonRisin' has one of those too to cover his big ugly head when hes fishing so he doesn't scare them off.
I have a face like 40 arseholes mate, (thanks @snorky). I prefer to go fishing in a bee keepers hat. Bees can't sting me and people can't see I'm such an ugly twat ; )

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.