Am I the greatest Stone Roses fan on the forum?

Peter Hook is a strange one. On the face of it he seems to be a frustrated guitarist, who plays high up the frett on his bass. There was a constant battle with Barney in New Order, as he wanted to use synth basses. Technically Hooky is nowhere near as good as some of the great bass players. You could argue Tom Champan who has replaced him in New Order is a more proficient bassist.

Yet he has a totally distinctive style that just stands out. It has drove and distinguished 2 of the most important, influential and era defining bands this country has ever produced. Hookys bass playing has been a key part of both bands.
Hooky was good in both Joy Division and New Order, don't know Tom Chapman as New Order is not a band I listen to much nowadays.

I think Norman Watt-Roy from The Blockheads (Ian Dury) is a fantastic base guitarist. Do you rate him?

Hooky was good in both Joy Division and New Order, don't know Tom Chapman as New Order is not a band I listen to much nowadays.

I think Norman Watt-Roy from The Blockheads (Ian Dury) is a fantastic base guitarist. Do you rate him?

I have not listened to much of the Blockheads tbh mate. I much prefer my synths to my stringed instruments truth by told. Should listen to more Ian Dury stuff as I know he liked his synths.

Saw the Stone Roses twice. First time, I think it was at UMIST supporting Stereolab. Second time was when they played with James at the International. My opinion of them was the same both times. Not favourable. I just don’t get what people see in them.

Last edited:
Great band but I just can't get past drury being Cockney Wankah out of Viz.
You fuckin' heathen.... He(and Blockheads) never got the recognition they deserved for his brilliant lyrics and their musical brilliance. Gone but never forgotten. Well not forgotten by me. I still play them fairly regularly mate.

Saw the Stone Roses twice. First time, I think it was at UMIST supporting Sterolab. Second time was when they played with James at the International. My opinion of them was the same both times. Not favourable. I just don’t get what people see in them.
Each to their own as they say. You saw them in their prime mate. I had to make do watching them over 100m from stage in Heaton park. I wish I'd have seen them in their prime, although the reunion gig was memorable.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.