An out-and-out winger

pauljv92

What viable option would you guys suggest that we buy in the summer? I think we need an out and out winger (very much unlike johnno). But the options we have looked at dont really seem like that to me. Hazard seems to be more of an CAM, who cuts in alot, is very tricky and has an eye for a goal. This is based on the videos of him and analysis of him I am reading. Milos Krasic seems decent because of his pace and we would be able to get him for 15 million euros. But his crossing ability isn't great apparently. Bale would be the perfect match, he is just a fucking amazing player. But because we have fucking Levy to deal with im absolutely certain he wont be coming to us, especially, for any less than 50 million quid. Gaitan is also one to consider but it seems he will cost quite a bit, in the range of 40 million euros. So who do you folks think is the perfect option we should be looking at, taking into account all the main factors such as crossing ability, speed and value for money (due to FFP)?

there were no out and out wingers at wolfsburg, just attacking full backs and players who knew how to cross at the right time.... instead of taking 200 touches sideways and backwards and ending up going nowhere

i think it's our narrow playing style that's the problem rather than the personell

that being said...any of those players you listed would improve the team ALOT!

We don't need a crossing winger. I posted this in another thread:

Jumanji said:
Stillsy said:
Adam Johnson doesnt cross the ball. He dribbles and cuts in time and time again.

We need a rapid winger for either side that can just pump the ball past a full back and swing one accross the center.

E.G Valencia.

Not true. We don't lack crosses. What we lack is width because we don't have good wide players. There is a difference between width and crosses as I'm sure you know.
I'd rather we left speculative, 1 out of 15 scoring chance crosses to the fullbacks.

In my opinion, Adam Johnson is the absolutely best type of winger. The modern winger. They're simply far, far more versatile.

Why?

Wingers will provide width without even touching the ball. They'll be marked because the opposition would be foolish not to keep an eye on one.

But the wingers that like to attack players like AJ, can stretch out defences EVEN MORE than the natural width they provide by virtue of hugging the touchline.

Let me explain (assuming AJ was a great player):
There are 4 defenders in position. AJ attacks the box and beats 1 (the fullback). Suddenly he draws the central defender out of position because someone has to meet AJ and stop him. Now there are 3 defenders, and they become even MORE stretched.

-------

Him cutting inside and attacking the box is NOT problem. The problem is that he's just not very good at it and often loses the ball.

Replace AJ with a winger that is good at attacking players and I think we'll be able to further impose our class.

The problem isn't HOW AJ plays. The problem is AJ's ability.

BIG DONKEY said:
there were no out and out wingers at wolfsburg, just attacking full backs and players who knew how to cross at the right time.... instead of taking 200 touches sideways and backwards and ending up going nowhere

i think it's our narrow playing style that's the problem rather than the personell

that being said...any of those players you listed would improve the team ALOT!

The problem is the personnel, which player do we have that is a world class out and out winger?

You can't play a wide style of play if you haven't got the players, at the moment we haven't got any wingers because we rely on our full backs to provide further width. As Gary Neville said in his analysis of the Stoke game. In recent games our full backs just haven't provided enough of a threat and teams have just tucked into a compact central defensive unit and asked the full backs questions which went un-answered.

I'm very surprised if not shocked Kolarov hasn't had a game tbh! He's the best wide player we have and when we need to attack he should be the first name on the teamsheet. Clichy and Zabaleta have started as our full backs and both have terrible deliveries and against a team that rarely attacks which is what we can expect in the next few games (except Arsenal) , one of them isn't needed and we should play Kolarov.

Unfortunately and weirdly, the injuries to Lescott and Kompany have held back our attacking options, Richards is totally unable to provide his power going forward as a centre back, that's what gave us the width in the past and made us as devastating through the middle. Now teams just block the middle up and know that we are very poor down the wings, having Richards bombing down the right gave them a lot more to worry about but as we all know at the moment unless Mancini starts trusting Savic, we can't have that until Kompany or Lescott is back.

Di Maria is the best out and out winger (IMO) and is in a contract dispute with Real right now. He is a fookin' amazing player although dives a lot (but do we care anymore after the decisions that have gone against us?).

LoveCity said:
Di Maria is the best out and out winger (IMO) and is in a contract dispute with Real right now. He is a fookin' amazing player although dives a lot (but do we care anymore after the decisions that have gone against us?).

ye would be a great player and would have no problem settling in as zaba aguero could look after him.

Jumanji said:
We don't need a crossing winger. I posted this in another thread:
Jumanji said:
Stillsy said:
Adam Johnson doesnt cross the ball. He dribbles and cuts in time and time again.

We need a rapid winger for either side that can just pump the ball past a full back and swing one accross the center.

E.G Valencia.

Not true. We don't lack crosses. What we lack is width because we don't have good wide players. There is a difference between width and crosses as I'm sure you know.
I'd rather we left speculative, 1 out of 15 scoring chance crosses to the fullbacks.

In my opinion, Adam Johnson is the absolutely best type of winger. The modern winger. They're simply far, far more versatile.

Why?

Wingers will provide width without even touching the ball. They'll be marked because the opposition would be foolish not to keep an eye on one.

But the wingers that like to attack players like AJ, can stretch out defences EVEN MORE than the natural width they provide by virtue of hugging the touchline.

Let me explain (assuming AJ was a great player):
There are 4 defenders in position. AJ attacks the box and beats 1 (the fullback). Suddenly he draws the central defender out of position because someone has to meet AJ and stop him. Now there are 3 defenders, and they become even MORE stretched.

-------

Him cutting inside and attacking the box is NOT problem. The problem is that he's just not very good at it and often loses the ball.

Replace AJ with a winger that is good at attacking players and I think we'll be able to further impose our class.

The problem isn't HOW AJ plays. The problem is AJ's ability.

Surely crosses are a viable medium of goalscoring as seen here:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRTyuDlPMiQ[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITH4TWnpd9I[/youtube]

Most of Dzeko most quality goals are his headers. He is our tallest player and he is absolutely lethal in the air as he showed in Wolfsburg. He even led them to the Bundesliga title with his goals as you probably know. He is the main reason for which I think we need an out-and-out winger who has a good accurate cross on him. This is crucial for Edin to succeed here. Adam is good with his cutbacks and they are important too but he has to improve his crossing to really help our strikers. I think a winger with real pace is absolutely necessary as well, for counterattacking.

-- Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:37 pm --

BillyShears said:
Ox from Arsenal or Ronaldo from Madrid.

Mate, I meant financially viable as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.