An out-and-out winger

pauljv92 said:
Mate, I meant financially viable as well.

It is financially viable to sign Ronaldo when we expect to shed about half a million a week from the wage bill this summer. Ade and Tevez alone account for 400,000 a week.

pauljv92 said:
Jumanji said:
We don't need a crossing winger. I posted this in another thread:
Jumanji said:
Not true. We don't lack crosses. What we lack is width because we don't have good wide players. There is a difference between width and crosses as I'm sure you know.
I'd rather we left speculative, 1 out of 15 scoring chance crosses to the fullbacks.

In my opinion, Adam Johnson is the absolutely best type of winger. The modern winger. They're simply far, far more versatile.

Why?

Wingers will provide width without even touching the ball. They'll be marked because the opposition would be foolish not to keep an eye on one.

But the wingers that like to attack players like AJ, can stretch out defences EVEN MORE than the natural width they provide by virtue of hugging the touchline.

Let me explain (assuming AJ was a great player):
There are 4 defenders in position. AJ attacks the box and beats 1 (the fullback). Suddenly he draws the central defender out of position because someone has to meet AJ and stop him. Now there are 3 defenders, and they become even MORE stretched.

-------

Him cutting inside and attacking the box is NOT problem. The problem is that he's just not very good at it and often loses the ball.

Replace AJ with a winger that is good at attacking players and I think we'll be able to further impose our class.

The problem isn't HOW AJ plays. The problem is AJ's ability.

Surely crosses are a viable medium of goalscoring as seen here:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRTyuDlPMiQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRTyuDlPMiQ</a>
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITH4TWnpd9I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITH4TWnpd9I</a>

Most of Dzeko most quality goals are his headers. He is our tallest player and he is absolutely lethal in the air as he showed in Wolfsburg. He even led them to the Bundesliga title with his goals as you probably know. He is the main reason for which I think we need an out-and-out winger who has a good accurate cross on him. This is crucial for Edin to succeed here. Adam is good with his cutbacks and they are important too but he has to improve his crossing to really help our strikers. I think a winger with real pace is absolutely necessary as well, for couterattacking.
We don't need a crossing winger. We need an upgrade on Johnson. You're right AJ is good with his cutbacks (which I prefer to the traditional cross) but when was the last time he beat a man to provide the service in the box?

Dzeko is lethal in the air, but his feet will always win.

Truly brilliant crossers of the ball are a rarity nowadays.

BillyShears said:
pauljv92 said:

It is financially viable to sign Ronaldo when we expect to shed about half a million a week from the wage bill this summer. Ade and Tevez alone account for 400,000 a week.

Who's going to pay for his 1 billion buy-out clause then?

where the hell did the player that we can see in the second clip from 2:58 onwards go?

back helping the defense, lays it off runs into space brilliant touch and a calm finish...

he showed that against tottenham but never again...

pauljv92 said:
BillyShears said:
pauljv92 said:

That's not how much he would cost.

A buy-out clause is simply to override the club and start negotiating directly with the player.

pauljv92 said:

IF, and it's a big IF, he wants to come to City, then a deal will be struck. It'll break the world transfer record once again, but it won't be significantly more than what Madrid paid for him.

I think C.Ronaldo could be signed for around £120million which would be a reasonable fee when you consider his £80million fee was paid off by shirt sales in a year. A player like Ronaldo would accelerate our growth into a global powerhouse off the pitch, you don't just buy a player, you buy an entire brand.

Jumanji said:
pauljv92 said:
Jumanji said:
We don't need a crossing winger. I posted this in another thread:

The problem isn't HOW AJ plays. The problem is AJ's ability.

Surely crosses are a viable medium of goalscoring as seen here:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRTyuDlPMiQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRTyuDlPMiQ</a>
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITH4TWnpd9I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITH4TWnpd9I</a>

Most of Dzeko most quality goals are his headers. He is our tallest player and he is absolutely lethal in the air as he showed in Wolfsburg. He even led them to the Bundesliga title with his goals as you probably know. He is the main reason for which I think we need an out-and-out winger who has a good accurate cross on him. This is crucial for Edin to succeed here. Adam is good with his cutbacks and they are important too but he has to improve his crossing to really help our strikers. I think a winger with real pace is absolutely necessary as well, for couterattacking.
We don't need a crossing winger. We need an upgrade on Johnson. You're right AJ is good with his cutbacks (which I prefer to the traditional cross) but when was the last time he beat a man to provide the service in the box?

Dzeko is lethal in the air, but his feet will always win.

Truly brilliant crossers of the ball are a rarity nowadays.

Well, they are a rarity but they are a key ingredient to success. Look at real madrid's current team and you'd know what I mean by this. They have just so many ways to attack and are fucking solid in defense. Powerful crosses from Di Maria and Ronaldo, tricky play around the centre and through balls from Ozil, Long balls to be attacked from Khedira and Alonso, speed to be able counterattack and devastate when they counter. Its just absolutely impossible to defend tightly with a single strategy against them.

This is the only way we are going to challenge for the Champions League in the future and thats why we need to have a winger with powerful crosses as well as pace and trickery. Even if it is just one such winger it would be able alright.

Cutbacks are okay but its always important to have variety and unpredictability for a winger and high balls and crosses just add that extra manner in which to attack and we have a dangerous aerial threat in Dzeko, so why not? Also, I would suggest that cutbacks aren't as effective as you think either when there are two rows of players defending inside the box.

So, this once again begs the question mate, which winger would be perfectly viable for us?

Someone mentioned Di Maria earlier and I absolutely agree with him. If he wants out from Madrid we have to get him at all costs, he is proven quality

BillyShears said:
pauljv92 said:

It's finding the 100+ Million to buy him that might be the problem. This is assuming he even wants to leave.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.