An out-and-out winger

pauljv92 said:
Jumanji said:
pauljv92 said:
Surely crosses are a viable medium of goalscoring as seen here:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRTyuDlPMiQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRTyuDlPMiQ</a>
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITH4TWnpd9I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITH4TWnpd9I</a>

Most of Dzeko most quality goals are his headers. He is our tallest player and he is absolutely lethal in the air as he showed in Wolfsburg. He even led them to the Bundesliga title with his goals as you probably know. He is the main reason for which I think we need an out-and-out winger who has a good accurate cross on him. This is crucial for Edin to succeed here. Adam is good with his cutbacks and they are important too but he has to improve his crossing to really help our strikers. I think a winger with real pace is absolutely necessary as well, for couterattacking.
We don't need a crossing winger. We need an upgrade on Johnson. You're right AJ is good with his cutbacks (which I prefer to the traditional cross) but when was the last time he beat a man to provide the service in the box?

Dzeko is lethal in the air, but his feet will always win.

Truly brilliant crossers of the ball are a rarity nowadays.

Well, they are a rarity but they are a key ingredient to success. Look at real madrid's current team and you'd know what I mean by this. They have just so many ways to attack and are fucking solid in defense. Powerful crosses from Di Maria and Ronaldo, tricky play around the centre and through balls from Ozil, Long balls to be attacked from Khedira and Alonso, speed to be able counterattack and devastate when they counter. Its just absolutely impossible to defend tightly with a single strategy against them.

This is the only way we are going to challenge for the Champions League in the future and thats why we need to have a winger with powerful crosses as well as pace and trickery. Even if it is just one such winger it would be able alright.

Cutbacks are okay but its always important to have variety and unpredictability for a winger and high balls and crosses just add that extra manner in which to attack and we have a dangerous aerial threat in Dzeko, so why not?

So, this once again begs the question mate, which winger would be perfectly viable for us?

Someone mentioned Di Maria earlier and I absolutely agree with him. If he wants out from Madrid we have to get him at all costs, he is proven quality
1. We need a winger for the width they provide, not for their crosses.

2. Ronaldo is not a winger but he will beat a man.

3. Di Maria is not the crossing type. He provides width by hugging the touchline. When he recieves the ball, he attacks the box, stretching out the opposition defence. If he can shoot, he will. If he can't, he will pass the ball for someone else in the box to finish.

He will cross in the air as a last resort.

I'll reiterate. A winger that can cross would be nice, but we don't need a crossing winger. There is a difference.

inbetween said:
BillyShears said:
pauljv92 said:
Mate, I meant financially viable as well.

It is financially viable to sign Ronaldo when we expect to shed about half a million a week from the wage bill this summer. Ade and Tevez alone account for 400,000 a week.

It's finding the 100+ Million to buy him that might be the problem. This is assuming he even wants to leave.
Petty cash to city.

Jumanji said:
pauljv92 said:
Jumanji said:
We don't need a crossing winger. We need an upgrade on Johnson. You're right AJ is good with his cutbacks (which I prefer to the traditional cross) but when was the last time he beat a man to provide the service in the box?

Dzeko is lethal in the air, but his feet will always win.

Truly brilliant crossers of the ball are a rarity nowadays.

Well, they are a rarity but they are a key ingredient to success. Look at real madrid's current team and you'd know what I mean by this. They have just so many ways to attack and are fucking solid in defense. Powerful crosses from Di Maria and Ronaldo, tricky play around the centre and through balls from Ozil, Long balls to be attacked from Khedira and Alonso, speed to be able counterattack and devastate when they counter. Its just absolutely impossible to defend tightly with a single strategy against them.

This is the only way we are going to challenge for the Champions League in the future and thats why we need to have a winger with powerful crosses as well as pace and trickery. Even if it is just one such winger it would be able alright.

Cutbacks are okay but its always important to have variety and unpredictability for a winger and high balls and crosses just add that extra manner in which to attack and we have a dangerous aerial threat in Dzeko, so why not?

So, this once again begs the question mate, which winger would be perfectly viable for us?

Someone mentioned Di Maria earlier and I absolutely agree with him. If he wants out from Madrid we have to get him at all costs, he is proven quality

3. Di Maria is not the crossing type. He provides width by hugging the touchline. When he recieves the ball, he attacks the box, stretching out the opposition defence. If he can shoot, he will. If he can't, he will pass the ball for someone else in the box to finish.

I'll reiterate. A winger that can cross would be nice, but we don't need a crossing winger. There is a difference.

1) Thats your opinion, ive already made my point.

2) Ronaldo is not a winger but Ive see him playing as a left attacking mid for real madrid a number of times this season but he comes centrally at times dribbling past defenders.

3) This is rubbish. Have you seen much of Di Maria?

See 1:54 and 2:25 for examples. Di Maria has a powerful, accurate cross on him.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKkngQNm8WM[/youtube]

pauljv92 said:
Jumanji said:
pauljv92 said:

2) Ronaldo is not a winger but Ive see him playing as a left attacking mid for real madrid a number of times this season but he comes centrally at times dribbling past defenders.

I have seen a lot of Di Maria. 2 crossing assists from a highlight video doesn't make him something he's not. I've seen plenty of rubbish crosses from him, but also some good ones.

If he is playing on the left he may cross. He is far more effective on the right and it is true he crosses if it is a last resort.

Jumanji said:
pauljv92 said:
Jumanji said:

I have seen a lot of Di Maria. 2 crossing assists from a highlight video doesn't make him something he's not. I've seen plenty of rubbish crosses from him, but also some good ones.

If he is playing on the left he may cross. He is far more effective on the right and it is true he crosses if it is a last resort.

Well there are a number of other from crosses long balls and flicks over the defense, if you see in just that video - I just didn't bother typing them all. There are more in other video highlights as well.

My point is that he is a perfect winger because of his ability to create in a number of ways as well as creating width because he is such a goal provider. He dribbles very well and is quick, all the qualities we need. As I mentioned, we don't want the winger to just be too predictable like Johnson tends to be and thats why powerful crosses are important. To win CL, we need a winger of the highest quality and that's what we need to look at. There are a number of such wingers out there.

We only have Aguero who has the burst of pace to beat a man and create a chance from nothing. Di Maria is a great player but he does have some injury problems. If he is our only winger and gets injured we are back to square 1. We also need a back-up winger who costs very little (After the Man City VAT) who is fast and can cross. We need players that can stretch games where the full backs and center-backs get drawn in and create a pocket of space where Nasri and Silva can create a chance through the middle. We have a better squad that the rags but this is the only aspect ( as well as bias refereeing) they are comprehensively better than us. They have an abundance of
wingers(Nani,Valenica,Young,Park,Giggs) where we simply have the 1. Johnson likes to go an penetrate through the middle by getting past a man but this just doesn't stretch the game as the opposing defense stay narrow to deal with him. We beat the rags by playing Milner as a makeshift winger to create space through the middle. In short I want Di Maria.

pauljv92 said:
Jumanji said:
pauljv92 said:

Well there are a number of other from crosses long balls and flicks over the defense, if you see in just that video - I just didn't bother typing them all. There are more in other video highlights as well.

My point is that he is a perfect winger because of his ability to create in a number of ways as well as creating width because he is such a goal provider. He dribbles very well and is quick, all the qualities we need. As I mentioned, we don't want the winger to just be too predictable like Johnson tends to be and thats why powerful crosses are important. To win CL, we need a winger of the highest quality and that's what we need to look at. There are a number of such wingers out there.
Those other crosses are piss easy and AJ can do them to if we counter attacked as much as Madrid. The opposition was caught on the counter, and there was only one defender beteen Di Maria and the other player. In these situations it's much easier to loft the ball over one player. The two crosses you highlighted were far more impressive.

I do like Di Maria a lot. I posted in the transfer forum that he would be my number one target.

Where I disagree with you is saying that he's a crossing winger. He's not. Can he cross? Sure. Many of his assists you will find are passes, cutbacks, etc into the box.

He's the type of winger I prefer. He can attack players and provide service from either side and these are the wingers that can hurt teams the most.

Jumanji said:
pauljv92 said:
Jumanji said:

Those other crosses are piss easy and AJ can do them to if we counter attacked as much as Madrid. The two you highlighted were more impressive. The others were when there was only one defender between him and the target so that is much is easy to loft it over one.

I do like Di Maria a lot. I posted in the transfer forum that he would be my number one target.

Where I disagree with you is saying that he's a crossing winger. He's not. Can he cross? Sure. Many of his assists you will find are passes, cutbacks, etc into the box.

He's the type of winger I prefer. He can attack players and provide service from either side and these are the wingers that can hurt teams the most.

Not saying he is a crossing winger. It is an ability that I think any top quality winger we look at should have and would have. This is why I suggested at times that Johnson should play as a CAM as he just cant cross accurately, can he? He is really good at dribbling and has excellent ball control to be able to cut in and shoot, but I just have not him provide one good cross from the wings all season. Baffles me as to how is a winger, really.

pauljv92 said:
Not saying he is a crossing winger. It is an ability that I think any top quality winger we look at should have and would have. This is why I suggested at times that Johnson should play as a CAM as he just cant cross accurately, can he? He is really good at dribbling and has excellent ball control to be able to cut in and shoot, but I just have not him provide one good cross from the wings all season. Baffles me as to how is a winger, really.
The problem with AJ is NOT that he can't cross (which he can't).
The problem is that he doesn't beat players consistently like a Robben, Di Maria, etc.

Let me provide a scenario:
Step 1: AJ beats a player, the defensive line is stretched and a defender has to come stop him.
Step 2: Dzeko makes a near post run and AJ supplies him with the ball and he scores.

The problem is he rarely succeeds at Step 1. He is frequently dispossessed.

AJ is also shit at supplying the overlapping fullback, which pisses me off to no end as Micah is a threat.

Jumanji said:
pauljv92 said:
The problem with AJ is NOT that he can't cross (which he can't).
The problem is that he doesn't beat players consistently like a Robben, Di Maria, etc.

Let me provide a scenario:
Step 1: AJ beats a player, the defensive line is stretched and a defender has to come stop him.
Step 2: Dzeko makes a near post run and AJ supplies him with the ball and he scores.

The problem is he rarely succeeds at Step 1. He is frequently dispossessed.

AJ is also shit at supplying the overlapping fullback, which pisses me off to no end as Micah is a threat.

Sorry I meant rated winger. I agree with everything you say here. But instead of looking for an improvement of Johnson, I think we should be looking at a top quality winger of a different variety (the crossing and pace kind). I think Johnson is decent at what he does and has scored important goals for us this season and provided decent assists (think Arsenal away, which was sublime and also maybe Bolton at home). He also has plenty room for improvement and I don't think we should sell him unless we get more than 15 mill.

But on the other flank, we need a direct threat to attack in a different way perhaps, so that defenders will be vary and come out to nullify the threat so that more space would be created - thats why I say just one out-and-out winger will be sufficient. Will help dzeko and balo get more goals and help us, enable us to basically attack in a different way along with our usually style of play. Just think of a Kolarov with pace and tricky. Then we would be able to sell kolarov too lol.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.