Andy Mitten M.E.N Success comes at a price

jknight said:
Though I think there is some complete and utter bollocks in this article; particulary the bits about the lack of passion and emotion at the end of the season but some points he makes are valid. I live in just outside Wolverhampton and since May I’m seeing more and more City shirts particulary on kids (which has got to be a good thing for our revenue) – if I ask them why they’re wearing a City shirt I get the answer that “Wolves are shit and City are champions”. In the past I’ve had the same answer from kids in United shirts. In the future we will have older plastic football fans wearing City shirts that have never been to Manchester. The story he tells about the City fan sounds very unlikely.
Having also lived in London it’s true what he says about the London games too. Rich fans and tourists will buy up tickets as they do for United’s games now. It’s the law of demand and supply I’m afraid. Also we are classed as an A category game in most Premiership stadiums in the country
He states the obvious in the fact that the more success you have the more other fans hate you. Our hatred is born out of rivalry but also it’s been made worse by the success they’ve had, the plastic worldwide fan base and (for me definitely) their arrogance. But it’s easy to see how we could be seen in this light in say ten years’ time (just we see it in Chelsea fans now)– some of the younger posters on this forum are already showing that streak of arrogance and booing our team off on Saturday are signs of things to come.

Successful teams will always pick up young fans from round the country. The point about successful teams being hated is not true IMO. I remember Liverpool being the best team in England and Europe but whilst everyone wanted to beat them I dont remember them being hated. And United were hated when they were shit, how does that work?

Mike N said:
jknight said:
Though I think there is some complete and utter bollocks in this article; particulary the bits about the lack of passion and emotion at the end of the season but some points he makes are valid. I live in just outside Wolverhampton and since May I’m seeing more and more City shirts particulary on kids (which has got to be a good thing for our revenue) – if I ask them why they’re wearing a City shirt I get the answer that “Wolves are shit and City are champions”. In the past I’ve had the same answer from kids in United shirts. In the future we will have older plastic football fans wearing City shirts that have never been to Manchester. The story he tells about the City fan sounds very unlikely.
Having also lived in London it’s true what he says about the London games too. Rich fans and tourists will buy up tickets as they do for United’s games now. It’s the law of demand and supply I’m afraid. Also we are classed as an A category game in most Premiership stadiums in the country
He states the obvious in the fact that the more success you have the more other fans hate you. Our hatred is born out of rivalry but also it’s been made worse by the success they’ve had, the plastic worldwide fan base and (for me definitely) their arrogance. But it’s easy to see how we could be seen in this light in say ten years’ time (just we see it in Chelsea fans now)– some of the younger posters on this forum are already showing that streak of arrogance and booing our team off on Saturday are signs of things to come.

Successful teams will always pick up young fans from round the country. The point about successful teams being hated is not true IMO. I remember Liverpool being the best team in England and Europe but whilst everyone wanted to beat them I dont remember them being hated. And United were hated when they were shit, how does that work?

some game called FIFA 13 now forces kids towards the top teams not what happen's on the pitch, constant brain washing and only the top teams win

Mike N said:

United were hated when they were shit (particulary by us)- but I think the nation-wide hatred of United intensified when thay started winning everything in sight from 1992 onwards. As for Liverpool in the seventies and eighties you have a point - maybe there wasn't the same level of arrogance but you can still see the plastic fans every where you go.

jknight said:
Mike N said:

United were hated when they were shit (particulary by us)- but I think the nation-wide hatred of United intensified when thay started winning everything in sight from 1992 onwards. As for Liverpool in the seventies and eighties you have a point - maybe there wasn't the same level of arrogance but you can still see the plastic fans every where you go.

Ferguson perhaps?

Mike N said:
Ferguson perhaps?

He's definitely been a factor. If you got a team that for 20 years has had that much success and coupled with that you have a manager who can't say anything wrong in the eyes of the media, is revered like royalty by other managers and gets the benefit of most refereeing decisions (Sunday a good example) this will all add to the hatred of the biggest club in the world.

Blue2112 said:
Ive been saying it for the past 36 years ever since I was about 10 years old when I had already had my fill of about 4 years of shite from my Rag school mates that they are all c***s, self righteous and condesending with bully boy attitudes which probably stems from the constant hype of the media's sychophantic love affair with 'The World's Self Titled Biggest Football Club'. If you keep on saying something enough times then people start to believe it and if your constantly told your the best then its partly understandable that they look down on the rest of us.

I honestly believe there is a strong strand of DNA in a person which attracts them to wanting to latch onto something in life which is successful in order to bring some kind of false pleasure into their lives. Maybe it's an insecurity but i'd love to see this collective number of 300million United fans loyalty tested with about 10 years of failure and see how many coach loads pile up the M1 and M6 every week with nothing but hope to cling onto.

Andy Mitten, Zoe Ball, Eamonn Holmes, Angus Deayton, Mick Hucknall, Olly Muirs et al...the names and faces may change but the shite they all spout remains the same.
please do not insult my family name its olly murs

Balti said:
wow a rag numpty talking bollox

yawn
Now some bloke called Stuart reckons he's the ideal man to write an interesting and incisive piece on our new DoF, unfortunately for rag boy he failed to live up to the billing. It seems drab and uninspiring is his real forte.

woolleyback blue said:
Dear me another bitter rag journo who is finding City's success too hard to handle. There's a few fans from other teams out there who are jealous of the good fortune but the vast majority have welcomed City's success as a breath of fresh air in a PL that had become stale and boring. Fergusons flat track bullies were choking the life out of the PL.

It isn't success that makes people hate utd its the arrogance and petty triumphalism of the sheep that follow them. They rant on about "class" and "history" as if they were the only club ever allowed to possess either. If you want a demonstration of their complete lack of class then just take a look at their reaction to City's title win, from the top downwards. Matt Busby must have been spinning in his grave at Baconfaces disgraceful exhibition when compared to his own gracious congratulations to Joe Mercer. The bile and bitterness spewing out from utd fans all over the internet has simply confirmed that the lack of esteem they are held in is well justified.

Yes. City's continuing success will attract glory hunters but the core of the support will remain CTID and never forget the years in the wilderness and we will never ever descend to the level of utd.
Hats off to you my friend, superbly put.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.