Anna Connell

Falastur said:
George Hannah said:
Falastur said:
... Gary James has already proven that the Anna Connell story is false, hasn't he?
no - merely shown it to be unsubstantiated - it would be very strange if her work among the poor had no influence on her father's decision to set up the club

Two sides of the same coin, surely? From what I've seen, Anna's work with the poor was in support of her father's work, not the inspiration for it. I mean, he created a cricket team which became the basis of the football team, and he did that years earlier.

Anyway, my aim here was not to write-off the Connell legacy or discredit Anna, just to argue that her father deserves the ultimate credit. I'm going to back out of this thread lest I derail it further.
I think you should just credit both and not play who inspired who, I'm sure it was mutual.

Thus, when a new rector arrived at St Mark's, in West Gorton, Manchester, in 1879, he encouraged his 27-year-old daughter, Anna Connell, to take on her own hard challenge.

"At that time, West Gorton was an area of tremendous deprivation," Lupson says. "There was overcrowding, squalor, poor sanitation and poverty, and the ways in which the men of the community sought refuge from this was drink and gang warfare, which was called 'scuttling' in that era.

"We are talking about 500 people at a time involved in fighting. The local press reported 250-a-side – we are talking about warfare. Anna was grieved by seeing these men live such wasted lives and wanted to do something for them that could reverse the direction they were going in."

Miss Connell knocked on every door in the parish – by Lupson's estimation, that meant 1000 doors – to spread word of the weekly working men's club she was setting up in the parish hall. The first week, three people turned up. But soon, with the help of two churchwardens who worked at the local ironworks, that number became 100.

Playing sport was a natural adjunct to other activities such as singing, discussion and bible recitations. That meant, in the first instance, cricket. But soon the men wanted to keep fit in the winter for their cricket, and decided to do so through football.

"They called themselves St Mark's West Gorton FC," Lupson says. "Anna's father, Arthur, was the first president, and that club exists today because of Anna Connell knocking on all those doors and not giving up, and it's called Manchester City."

Peter Lupson "Thank God for Football"

A few points that might be worth adding here... Peter Lupson has also changed his view on Anna's role in recent years and now talks of Arthur's influence rather than Anna's. Also, unless we find hard evidence of who did what and when we'll never know who the inspiration was. My views are all in "Manchester The City Years" (borrow it from a library if you've not seen it or download the first 30,000 words here: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manchester-City-Years-Gary-James-ebook/dp/B00C1MDLA6/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401702392&sr=1-2&keywords=manchester+the+city+years" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manchester-City ... city+years</a> ).

If we want to remember the club's first figures then the Connell family (we should never forget the work of Georgina which was even more 'hands on' than Anna within the community if newspapers & church mags paint a fair picture), William Beastow, James Moores and the first 12, especially Walter Chew and William Sumner, should all be remembered.

Worth adding that my research into this period continues. Hopefully one day we'll get the full story but I doubt it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.