Another good piece by Martin Samuel

SWP's back said:
Damocles said:
So two time CL winner, three time La Liga winner is just as good as a guy who had a good season in Portugal?

I don't even know where to starty with that.

And unless AVB had managed a team with 3 of the 4 best players in the world, you will be unable to dismiss it as it's simply conjecture.

But when Guardiola arrived they weren't three of the four best in the world, Messi was 3rd, Xavi and Iniesta not even in the top 30. He also made the decision to move on two of the people that were in the top 30, Ronaldinho and Eto'o, a pretty big decision and one which made Barca what they are today. Doesn't get enough credit for this.

twinkletoes said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
All a bit frothy for my taste.

We have to be careful in terms of understanding what makes Guardiola tick, his supposed merits.

He retains a certain drive because of his Catalan roots, his desire to prolong the success of the club.

His, is a love affair, as it is for many of their homegrown stars.

It's the same when people were creaming themselves over Athletico Bilbao players the other week.

These kids will die for their region, their club.

They would lose something vital should they leave.

Mourinho has no such linkage, there are no question mark about his ability to deliver elsewhere.

Guardiola has too many question marks, and also, idealism, apart, City, at the present time want to be winning, not waiting ten years for Guardiola's vision to come to fruition.

If Mourinho wins nothing this season and Guardiola takes both trophies will you change your mind?

Why?

I have stated what I think makes people like Guardiola excel. It's his sense of belonging, his love of the region.

Too many people do this Barcelona team a massive disservice, they are the greatest club side I have ever seen.

They remind me so much of Brazil in 82, but with the Liverpool will to win of the late 70s and 80s.

The prospect of Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement is another complication because Mourinho is known to covet the successor’s role at Old Trafford

As much as I'd like to see Mourinho at City I can't help but think that he'll kill time till bacon faces moves on.

Cue the usual delusional responses...

tolmie's hairdoo said:
twinkletoes said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
All a bit frothy for my taste.

We have to be careful in terms of understanding what makes Guardiola tick, his supposed merits.

He retains a certain drive because of his Catalan roots, his desire to prolong the success of the club.

His, is a love affair, as it is for many of their homegrown stars.

It's the same when people were creaming themselves over Athletico Bilbao players the other week.

These kids will die for their region, their club.

They would lose something vital should they leave.

Mourinho has no such linkage, there are no question mark about his ability to deliver elsewhere.

Guardiola has too many question marks, and also, idealism, apart, City, at the present time want to be winning, not waiting ten years for Guardiola's vision to come to fruition.

If Mourinho wins nothing this season and Guardiola takes both trophies will you change your mind?

Why?

I have stated what I think makes people like Guardiola excel. It's his sense of belonging, his love of the region.

Too many people do this Barcelona team a massive disservice, they are the greatest club side I have ever seen.

They remind me so much of Brazil in 82, but with the Liverpool will to win of the late 70s and 80s.

Why, because Mourinho would be seen as a failure.

The Fat el Hombre said:
The prospect of Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement is another complication because Mourinho is known to covet the successor’s role at Old Trafford

As much as I'd like to see Mourinho at City I can't help but think that he'll kill time till bacon faces croaks it.

Delusional git! Fixed.

bluecityboy said:
I shake my head everytime someone tries to discredit Guardiola. Its like saying Fergie is nothing special because he's been successful with only one club.
He has landed as manager with the greatest team of the last 30 years in his lap, in his first managerial job. He has never known or had to deal with adversity. Not to say he couldn't deal with it or thrive with a lesser team, but all these factors are unknown because he has never been faced with them.
Sadly, Shakin Bacon was hugely successful with Aberdeen as well as the rags

The Fat el Hombre said:

As much as I'd like to see Mourinho at City I can't help but think that he'll kill time till bacon faces moves on.

Don't think you're delusional mate, just wrong.
I just can't believe that the United job would satisfy Mourinho's ego.
He wouldn't be creating a legacy he would be continuing someone else's.
We however would be a perfect match for him.

The way I see it, is that if we take on Mourinho on a three year deal, we are likely to win a league title and possibly reach a Champions League Semi final. But we will be looking around for a new manager in three years time, as he will be on the move.

If we took on Guardiola on a three year deal, we may win a league title, we may reach a Champions League semi, but we may also be looking for another manager after a season.

Having said that, I think that Guardiola would be the right man for the job, and that if he came and was a success, he would likely stay for several years and cement our place at the top table of European Football. It's a real gamble, but I think it would be the correct decision.

As much as I like Mancini, and have respect for the work he has done with the squad, I think the events of this season, particularly the catastophic slump in form at the business end of the season show that he is not the man to lead Manchester City into the future. It' time to take a gamble....

Scareye said:
The Fat el Hombre said:

Don't think you're delusional mate, just wrong.
I just can't believe that the United job would satisfy Mourinho's ego.
He wouldn't be creating a legacy he would be continuing someone else's.
We however would be a perfect match for him.

So what? And how can managing one of the biggest clubs in the world not satisfy someones ego?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.