Another good piece by Martin Samuel

johnny crossan said:
BillyShears said:
.. The question the owners will surely be asking themselves, and it's something I've repeated often enough in the last week or so, is whether Mancini is getting the best out of the players he has at his disposal. That's a much more important question than whether we finish first or second in the context of Mancini keeping his job...
That's the key issue I think, will Roberto learn from his and others' mistakes? I think he's got the bottle to sort the players he has brought in who aren't up to it (Dzeko, Savic & Kolarov) and also those who he has inherited who aren't up for it (de Jong, Johnson, Kolo) together with the obvious problems (Tevez, Balotelli & Adebayor.)

Doesn't really paint him in a good light when you consider that we spent 75 million on Kolarov, Dzeko, and Balotelli. I also don't think it's a question of bottle, it's a matter of subtlety in handling the players as individuals rather than treating them in a one size fits all way.

bluecityboy said:
I shake my head everytime someone tries to discredit Guardiola. Its like saying Fergie is nothing special beecause he's been successful with only one club.

I don't really wanna defend him but; Rangers? Scotland?

So two time CL winner, three time La Liga winner is just as good as a guy who had a good season in Portugal?

I don't even know where to starty with that.

Forget the arguments about who gets in a combined Manchester team etc...
the real point of the article is "long-term principle" vs "short-term" need to win title (to establish credibility).

I'm not an expert on FFP rules...but I think there are certain exclusions for "developing" youth academy. i.e. we can spend money on attracting loads of talented young players that doesn't count against us for FFP purposes.
Combined with investment in training complex...this suggests the "instincts" of the management team + owners favour the Barcelona/Arsenal approach.

In other words...we have acted like Real Madrid / Chelsea in the short-term to get credible + to make our project "attractive"...but the real intention is to look like Barcelona/Arsenal in the long-term, with a reliance on talented young players coming through our academy (even if drafted in from elsewhere).

I'm in the camp that reckons criticism of Guardiola is a bit unfair...
Of course he is blessed with a super-talented set of players...but their work-ethic is hugely impressive + I feel that his whole "approach" to managing a football club lies far closer to the visions of our owner than Mourinho.

Damocles said:
So two time CL winner, three time La Liga winner is just as good as a guy who had a good season in Portugal?

I don't even know where to starty with that.

And unless AVB had managed a team with 3 of the 4 best players in the world, you will be unable to dismiss it as it's simply conjecture.

Scooby Blue said:
the real point of the article is "long-term principle" vs "short-term" need to win title (to establish credibility).

I'm not an expert on FFP rules...but I think there are certain exclusions for "developing" youth academy. i.e. we can spend money on attracting loads of talented young players that doesn't count against us for FFP purposes.
Combined with investment in training complex...this suggests the "instincts" of the management team + owners favour the Barcelona/Arsenal approach.

In other words...we have acted like Real Madrid / Chelsea in the short-term to get credible + to make our project "attractive"...but the real intention is to look like Barcelona/Arsenal in the long-term, with a reliance on talented young players coming through our academy (even if drafted in from elsewhere).

Of course he is blessed with a super-talented set of players...but their work-ethic is hugely impressive + I feel that his whole "approach" to managing a football club lies far closer to the visions of our owner than Mourinho.
That's exactly how I view it too.

BillyShears said:
johnny crossan said:
BillyShears said:
.. The question the owners will surely be asking themselves, and it's something I've repeated often enough in the last week or so, is whether Mancini is getting the best out of the players he has at his disposal. That's a much more important question than whether we finish first or second in the context of Mancini keeping his job...
That's the key issue I think, will Roberto learn from his and others' mistakes? I think he's got the bottle to sort the players he has brought in who aren't up to it (Dzeko, Savic & Kolarov) and also those who he has inherited who aren't up for it (de Jong, Johnson, Kolo) together with the obvious problems (Tevez, Balotelli & Adebayor.)
Doesn't really paint him in a good light when you consider that we spent 75 million on Kolarov, Dzeko, and Balotelli. I also don't think it's a question of bottle, it's a matter of subtlety in handling the players as individuals rather than treating them in a one size fits all way.
"Sorting" includes protecting the owner's investment and subtlety is in the eye of the beholder. We'll see a trophy or two next season I'm sure. Hopefully with Khaldoon & Roberto at the helm.

All a bit frothy for my taste.

We have to be careful in terms of understanding what makes Guardiola tick, his supposed merits.

He retains a certain drive because of his Catalan roots, his desire to prolong the success of the club.

His, is a love affair, as it is for many of their homegrown stars.

It's the same when people were creaming themselves over Athletico Bilbao players the other week.

These kids will die for their region, their club.

They would lose something vital should they leave.

Mourinho has no such linkage, there are no question mark about his ability to deliver elsewhere.

Guardiola has too many question marks, and also, idealism, apart, City, at the present time want to be winning, not waiting ten years for Guardiola's vision to come to fruition.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
All a bit frothy for my taste.

We have to be careful in terms of understanding what makes Guardiola tick, his supposed merits.

He retains a certain drive because of his Catalan roots, his desire to prolong the success of the club.

His, is a love affair, as it is for many of their homegrown stars.

It's the same when people were creaming themselves over Athletico Bilbao players the other week.

These kids will die for their region, their club.

They would lose something vital should they leave.

Mourinho has no such linkage, there are no question mark about his ability to deliver elsewhere.

Guardiola has too many question marks, and also, idealism, apart, City, at the present time want to be winning, not waiting ten years for Guardiola's vision to come to fruition.

If Mourinho wins nothing this season and Guardiola takes both trophies will you change your mind?

Scooby Blue said:

You missed the whole point of the article. Mouriniho was mentioned and that is enough for the thickets on here to digest.

I agree it is about short term fix on longevity but the majority on here want the former. If we wait a few pages it will turn into a Mancini out thread similar to the Micah thread

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.