Another transitional season? No.

I don’t think so. We are stronger now than we were last season. I think we saw in 18-19 during the win streak what a settled team can do. I hope Pep persists with a back 4 of Walker Dias Laporte Ake because we can’t keep playing Mendy and Garcia. We have a solid first choice back 5. I worry about our lack of pace up front and pressing while Jesus is out. Need him back ASAP.

Unfortunately we haven’t done enough to refresh a team going stale and we’re up against a Liverpool side that is both excellent and consistently blessed with luck and favourable refereeing. I fear we’re facing a relatively disappointing farewell to Pep.

We should be aiming to at least make Liverpool work for the league (difficult as if will be giving them a head start), a decent run in the champions league and to win the cups (though Carabao may be tough given our injury list).
A Liverpool side that was 30 years in transition despite multi million expenditure.
We've lost the spine of our great team and are down to 12 fit "senior" players.
Not referring to your post but I fear an unrealistic sense of entitlement and unreal expectation that we can simply change the names and instantly retain our status is already leading to unreasonable castigation of a manager who has contributed so much to our enjoyment and success. We need to be patient with our rebuild, support our team, avoid the puerile X,Y Z etc "is shite" narrative and not undermine the efforts of our manager. Well thought out criticism is fine and worth reading, whether we agree or not, but pages of mindless negative anti everything drivel sometimes makes this forum feel like a DM forum.
Do you seriously think that our team will not be 100% aiming to get as far as possible in all competitions.

A Liverpool side that was 30 years in transition despite multi million expenditure.
Not referring to your post but I fear an unrealistic sense of entitlement and unreal expectation that we can simply change the names and instantly retain our status is already leading to unreasonable castigation of a manager who has contributed so much to our enjoyment and success. We need to be patient with our rebuild, support our team, avoid the puerile X,Y Z etc "is shite" narrative and not undermine the efforts of our manager. Well thought out criticism is fine and worth reading, whether we agree or not, but pages of mindless negative anti everything drivel sometimes makes this forum feel like a DM forum.
Do you seriously think that our team will not be 100% aiming to get as far as possible in all competitions.

Spot on.

Good post and well said. Sums up the situation.

I can’t argue with much there as I appreciate the issues with injuries. As for entitlement fair enough there are some supporters who have barely seen anything but success. Some of us have longer memories.

At the same time if Khaldoon had said in his season review he felt we couldn’t spend in a pandemic I’d understand and back him. He didn’t though, he spoke of disappointment with last season, being hungry and new signings. So it’s obvious he sees us dining at the top table. It follows then that we must have the squad to do so. My issue is that our transfer planning since 2018 has been poor and reactive.

No plan was in place for Kompany’s departure, he was 32 and in the final year of his contract. We have had issues at left back since 2017 when Mendy got injured that haven’t been addressed. Silva left with not obvious replacement. We are planning a double pivot now but with only 3 options, Rodri, Gundogan and a 35 year old Fernandinho. Next summer our best ever forward leaves so a huge amount of our budget will be spent on a replacement.

This season will be short and intense so clubs will have to prioritise certain matches. Hopefully we’ll take the cups as seriously as we can.

Liverpool finished 18 points clear and have strengthened. We haven’t done enough to catch up.

Pep has given us 4 seasons with the best football so when he goes I will be incredibly grateful for all he has done. I just hope he leaves on a high not a damp squib as Pellegrini’s final season.

Groundhog pre and early season.
Season ends and we all get excited about addressing the glaring issues. Khaldoon releases his interview in two parts no less, and we lap it up like Pavlovian dogs as we fall in love with his tailor and education. What a guy. And then obviously the sidetracking big transfer and posts about tattooing his name whilst he's on an imaginary flight.
Then the season starts :-(

Mendy as a winger???? Hahahaha. Fuck off.
I've previously suggested Mendy could become a winger because as a LB/LWB he is too often left in no man's land when he bombs forward, good job Laporte has snuffed out the danger in his absence. His defending has been very poor thus far and he does have speed to beat his man and cross a ball so Mendy as a winger is not as ridiculous as it sounds. He's put plenty of good crosses in off his left foot unlike Sterling who is out of position as a right footed winger playing on the wrong side. Giving Mendy a run as an out and out LW, well why not?

I can’t argue with much there as I appreciate the issues with injuries. As for entitlement fair enough there are some supporters who have barely seen anything but success. Some of us have longer memories.

At the same time if Khaldoon had said in his season review he felt we couldn’t spend in a pandemic I’d understand and back him. He didn’t though, he spoke of disappointment with last season, being hungry and new signings. So it’s obvious he sees us dining at the top table. It follows then that we must have the squad to do so. My issue is that our transfer planning since 2018 has been poor and reactive.

No plan was in place for Kompany’s departure, he was 32 and in the final year of his contract. We have had issues at left back since 2017 when Mendy got injured that haven’t been addressed. Silva left with not obvious replacement. We are planning a double pivot now but with only 3 options, Rodri, Gundogan and a 35 year old Fernandinho. Next summer our best ever forward leaves so a huge amount of our budget will be spent on a replacement.

This season will be short and intense so clubs will have to prioritise certain matches. Hopefully we’ll take the cups as seriously as we can.

Liverpool finished 18 points clear and have strengthened. We haven’t done enough to catch up.

Pep has given us 4 seasons with the best football so when he goes I will be incredibly grateful for all he has done. I just hope he leaves on a high not a damp squib as Pellegrini’s final season.

We have a wonderful squad. It will become obvious when all of the players are available and the new signings get accustomed to the PL. How many clubs in the world have a better squad? Bayern?

It's difficult to plan the future. Kompany was retiring but we thought that Stones could do the job helped by Fernandinho and Otamendi and then Garcia. Mendy got injured but we wanted to give him another chance. Recruitment is impeccable only in an ideal world for it's notpossible to predict injuries, the development of young players, personal issues, etc.

Once we add another CB, another DM, another LB and another CF, we will have a highly talented squad, possibly the best in the world. It could be done by the end of next summer. I believe the future is good.

I've previously suggested Mendy could become a winger because as a LB/LWB he is too often left in no man's land when he bombs forward, good job Laporte has snuffed out the danger in his absence. His defending has been very poor thus far and he does have speed to beat his man and cross a ball so Mendy as a winger is not as ridiculous as it sounds. He's put plenty of good crosses in off his left foot unlike Sterling who is out of position as a right footed winger playing on the wrong side. Giving Mendy a run as an out and out LW, well why not?
Mendy doesn’t have the intelligence to play his supposed natural position never mind expecting him to play LW. His close control is abysmal, could you see him playing in the tight spaces that teams force our attacking group into. Also who would you drop to accommodate him? Sterling?

I would agree with this 100% If we Knew Pep was staying 3 more seasons however it’s more likely he leaves at the end of this season. The re- build can only happen once a new manager is in. For me the pep uncertainty is a huge issue

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.