Any Long Covid sufferers on here?

BLUEYESTU

I’ve posted about Long Covid in the past but I really need to find out if what I’m suffering from is a symptom of that or maybe something else?
I tested positive end of January and suffered pretty badly with the coughing and lung problems for at least 6 weeks. My lung capacity is pretty much back to normal but I’ve been left with pain in my joints that’s making life quite difficult at times - feet/ankles, knees, hands/wrists all ache and the muscles around them are painful too. But recently my hands have been getting much worse to the point where I can’t use my right hand for anything because the pain is ridiculous - it feels like somebody has hit it with a hammer! Luckily I’m left handed but my handwriting is illegible at times because I just can’t get the pen to do what I want. (Typing this is very slow and I have to keep swapping fingers because they ache if I’m using them).
I’m using pain relief but not getting much from paracetamol and anti inflammatories, heat is the only thing that gives any relief. I can’t do Basic Life Support training at work which is a big issue in the NHS, and struggled to dress myself this morning as I couldn’t do buttons. My gp sent me for X-rays I have to wait weeks for a telephone appointment to get results and the Long Covid team has a waiting list over 9 months long.
Has anybody else had Covid effects this extreme?

Mods feel free to merge elsewhere if necessary.

I’ve posted about Long Covid in the past but I really need to find out if what I’m suffering from is a symptom of that or maybe something else?
I tested positive end of January and suffered pretty badly with the coughing and lung problems for at least 6 weeks. My lung capacity is pretty much back to normal but I’ve been left with pain in my joints that’s making life quite difficult at times - feet/ankles, knees, hands/wrists all ache and the muscles around them are painful too. But recently my hands have been getting much worse to the point where I can’t use my right hand for anything because the pain is ridiculous - it feels like somebody has hit it with a hammer! Luckily I’m left handed but my handwriting is illegible at times because I just can’t get the pen to do what I want. (Typing this is very slow and I have to keep swapping fingers because they ache if I’m using them).
I’m using pain relief but not getting much from paracetamol and anti inflammatories, heat is the only thing that gives any relief. I can’t do Basic Life Support training at work which is a big issue in the NHS, and struggled to dress myself this morning as I couldn’t do buttons. My gp sent me for X-rays I have to wait weeks for a telephone appointment to get results and the Long Covid team has a waiting list over 9 months long.

Might be worth charting with @kaz7

Can I ask, mate, why if you're doing that job within the NHS, are you so far down the list for waiting times?

You're crucial, for NHS training, so why aren't you bumped up the list?

Without wishing to be “Doctor Internet”, some of what you describe sounds a bit similar to Post-Viral Fatigue Syndrome which I had at uni following a kidney virus, laid me low for months despite having pretty much perfect health before

Long Covid is usually associated with extreme debility. But what you are describing sounds more like rheumatoid arthritis or something like that. Has that possibility been investigated? Could some kind of autoimmune response of this kind have been triggered by covid?

No need to make your hands worse by replying to these questions, by the way, especially given that I do not have a medical background.

This site appears to host a Long Covid group where you could float your questions with the other members.

Am pretty sure that there must be a Facebook group as well, though I haven't looked.

While you are stuck on that waiting list, you may want to take a look at the literature on the management of longer term pain and illness.

This is pretty good in that respect:

Am really sorry to read about what you are having to deal with and hope that my clumsily amateurish suggestions in this post may be of some use.

Long covid is mostly chronic fatique syndrome except for the lung probs , you should make a recovery in time , in the mean time keep joints and muscles moving with intermittent rest , good drs are investigating , hope you get over it soon

Can I ask, mate, why if you're doing that job within the NHS, are you so far down the list for waiting times?

You're crucial, for NHS training, so why aren't you bumped up the list?
Being referred to the Long Covid team is though your gp only unfortunately, I tried going through Occupational Health but they can’t help. There’s a woman in my department who got Covid just before me and she’s got absolutely knackered lungs now; can’t do stairs and is even looking at early retirement because she can’t manage. She’s been waiting to get some help a lot longer than me and getting nowhere.

Without wishing to be “Doctor Internet”, some of what you describe sounds a bit similar to Post-Viral Fatigue Syndrome which I had at uni following a kidney virus, laid me low for months despite having pretty much perfect health before
Cheers, I’ve had a read and yeah it’s very similar. Somebody at work mentioned Fibromyalgia and those symptoms are similar too. It’s very hard to know if it’s one of those, or long Covid, maybe even arthritis? My gp is very ambivalent about it all, personally I think that’s because they just have no real clue what they’re dealing with.

Being referred to the Long Covid team is though your gp only unfortunately, I tried going through Occupational Health but they can’t help. There’s a woman in my department who got Covid just before me and she’s got absolutely knackered lungs now; can’t do stairs and is even looking at early retirement because she can’t manage. She’s been waiting to get some help a lot longer than me and getting nowhere.

That's shocking, mate. I'm sorry you're in this situation.

Cheers, I’ve had a read and yeah it’s very similar. Somebody at work mentioned Fibromyalgia and those symptoms are similar too. It’s very hard to know if it’s one of those, or long Covid, maybe even arthritis? My gp is very ambivalent about it all, personally I think that’s because they just have no real clue what they’re dealing with.

And just to underline this, the majority of GPs work under Gov guidelines, so if they have nothing to go on, they won't act. I know you've been referred, but I would seek a second opinion on your condition to see if there isn't something else going on.

No disrespect to other hardworking GPs that peruse BM, of course!

I’ve just been referred to them after more tests than you can shake a stick at, not had my first appointment yet though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.