Any past or present City player everybody seems to rate but you don't

Frankly, I can see almost no-one that ‘everybody seemed to rate’. People seem to have simply read the ‘you don't’ part. Except for the Kompany post (which I won't dignify by taking it seriously, any more than the Foden one).
The Kinkladze shout is an interesting one: I never got to see him play in the flesh, and I don't choose to judge from the clips on the internet (you can make a lot of players look good, or bad, by selective cutting). I know that a cartload of City fans of that generation (including the Gallagher brothers) thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's the old, old question — how good would a player who looks brilliant in a poorish team look in a team of genuine quality players? It's the very question that's being asked of Grealish at present.

Balotelli. Absolute myth.
It was Balotelli's style that people liked. I think very few people in the stadium thought that he was an excellent footballer. He was just the right thing for us — a bit of swagger — at that moment in the club's development. Love the way he should have been sent off against Spurs and then casually stepped up to win the three points for us. Without which, no league in 2012. When he moved on, he was already past his time with us.

I'd put Kompany, Silva and Touré in the same category- vastly under-appreciated by most of the footballing world, but when I hear City fans putting them in the top three or five in their position ever... I always think that's a bit much. So I wouldn't call them overrated, just a little bit too highly ranked by a small section of our fans.

I'd put Kompany, Silva and Touré in the same category- vastly under-appreciated by most of the footballing world, but when I hear City fans putting them in the top three or five in their position ever... I always think that's a bit much. So I wouldn't call them overrated, just a little bit too highly ranked by a small section of our fans.
Christ, you need to get watching some old games

Frankly, I can see almost no-one that ‘everybody seemed to rate’. People seem to have simply read the ‘you don't’ part. Except for the Kompany post (which I won't dignify by taking it seriously, any more than the Foden one).
The Kinkladze shout is an interesting one: I never got to see him play in the flesh, and I don't choose to judge from the clips on the internet (you can make a lot of players look good, or bad, by selective cutting). I know that a cartload of City fans of that generation (including the Gallagher brothers) thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's the old, old question — how good would a player who looks brilliant in a poorish team look in a team of genuine quality players? It's the very question that's being asked of Grealish at present.
You only have to look at who wanted him and who bought him to know how good he was and the talent he possessed, he went to Ajax who were the champions league runners up the year before and the winners the year before that, they had a phenomenal side, the likes of Barcelona wanted him the year before he left until he decided to stay. Those teams don't come in for somebody in the second tier unless they're special.

Jack Grealish.
Thought he was the Emporer's New Clothes when at Villa and not seen much to change my mind yet.
Not saying he isn't a good player.... just haven't seen anything to justify the hype.

Very happy for him to prove me wrong.
Same for me,so far his game consists of facing up to defender in front of him, feigns to go to the right,same to the left then plays five yard side foot backpass to nearest teammate.

I dont think I’ve ever heard anyone say Colin Bell was overrated.

If you take a player like Jordan Henderson who works hard, but essentially runs around in circles , makes a load of square and backwards passes and points a lot he is, to me, the epitome of overrated. Yet he is highly rated by many and won Player of the Year, something Colin never did.

Colin Bell was a true box to box player, a brilliant passer, great with both feet and his head and a great tackler. He was the engine of the best City team I have seen (apart from the last ten years). He may not have had the magic skills of David Silva but he is still, IMO, one of the top three players to ever play for us.
Thankfully, my brother has never used the Internet or we could be here for years! We'll leave him blissfully unaware in his garden. :-)

Tbh I've never held Kompany in the same reverence as I did Touré, Silva, or Aguero as a pure footballer, even if I did still rate him very highly and could argue he was much more important to the team than they were at times (albeit for other valuable reasons). I've felt the same about Fernandinho and Zabaleta in the past too, even though I think very highly of them both.

I think if Kompany came today we'd see him as being a right footed version of Laporte. An excellent CB with a great passing range. But also one who gets a bit overly excited at times, can be clumsy on occasion, and makes the odd error. Although unlike Laporte we'd still be in huge admiration of Kompany's personality.
My thoughts in a nutshell.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.