Anybody played pro or semi-pro on here?

i know its away from the thread but still connected with the blues my uncle always said that he helped start junior blues and was dead good mates with Joe Mercer and Malcolm Allinson. His name is Richard Sutton. Anyone heard of him? not seen him ages! he always said he would get me a trial with City but he didnt so i ended up playin sunday league in the Stockport and Cheadle. Perhaps he didnt want me to show him up!

macmanson said:
LCBblue said:
Some very, very talented kids there mate. It's similar over here, now obviously they are very technically gifted as are many of our players here at Leeds.

I'm happy for your lad also, good for him I hope he go's far. How was his reaction when he got home? Obviously ecstatic but is he nervous? Or just looking forward to it?

Pleased for him and as said before, I hope he does really well for himself. :)

Yeah, those 2 brothers are also into soccer freestyling as well which helps with the technical part. My son was quite excited about having made it and is eagerly awaiting his first training session, but is nervous about being in the starting 11. I just told him that he has to earn that by demonstrating in training that he's the best option they have available. That games are a chance to demonstrate what you've mastered in training. He's thrilled about the travelling aspect of it, as the club plays in a league with other pro/semi-pro youth teams in Canada & the US. He'll have the full "pro" experience. :)

He was just enjoying playing for local amateur clubs with friends up until about a year ago when his skill level improved vastly over his friends (something I attribute to back to back years of Futsal & ball mastery training) and he started taking training and playing seriously. This year his amateur team ended up a wash and he decided he'd had enough and wanted to pursue a spot with a top level team that took training seriously. Glad it was his decision to pursue it. He's even started working on his soccer freestyling tricks. :)

He evidently has the right attitude to be successful at that high level of football and if he continues with that attitude he'll do well. I have a similar attitude, realism, perseverance and determination, the 'leader of the team' so to speak, now obviously he's new to the team so his confidence in communication on the pitch wont be high but if he can develop that 'chin up lads, keep playing our normal game' type of attitude he'll do well.

Good on him for the call and I'm sure he'll deffo enjoy the travelling, and he'll form a lot of new mates, just as I did all those years ago.

Watched by City and other local clubs at 12/13. City scout said to me if i grew enough in the next 6 months they'd take me on. I didn't grow.
Played for 2 different town teams as a schoolboy then pub teams after leaving school.
A couple of teams used to pay my fines and not take subs off me so i'm calling that semi-pro level...

I made a living in the mid 80s on the professional Dirty Word Scrabble circuit. I was issued with a lifetime ban for playing 'Neville' on a triple word for a £5,000 pot and am now reduced to demo boards at some of the racier Cheshire village fetes.

played reserve team football for preston and rochdale 'then played semi pro forever it seems,wouldnt last five mins with these faggots now thou,legends in their own dinner hour.FINALLY R.I.P. GRAHAM LUTLEY ONE OF LIFES GREAT CHARACTERS GONE TO THE BLUE HEAVEN IN THE SKY.

monkey-trousers said:
KenTheLandlord said:
Here you go mate it was Steve Crompton the keeper, the others to keep your identity hidden look like they could be Steve Mills, Steve Macauley, Dave Boyd, Andy Thackeray and wasn't Paul Moulden there about that time?, to give you a memory jog.

Cheers Ken. Steve Mills definately played in the team, but isn't on that picture. At the time, he was the most promising prospect, having played for England schoolboys, but he seemed to miss a lot of matches. (Think he may have lived quite far away..Sheffield area?) As far as I am aware Paul Moulden didn't play while I was there, but at 14/15 yrs old they were just a bunch of lads to me at the time, I didn't realise that so many of them were going to make it. The names you've provided certainly ring a bell though. Steve Crompton's dad was a great character. I think the guy top right could be Dave Boyd? The guy with his eyes shut, Steve Macauley?

The team was run by a bloke called Mike Grimsley, well known in the Wythenshawe amateur football scene around the 80's. He was a top bloke and I owe him a good few pints!

And for the record, I do remember Barry Bennell, but I never got in the showers when he was around ;-)

Thanks again Ken.

You know a bloke called Kev Rushton mate? Used to play in City's youth team around this time, played in same team as him at college, was far too good for us though!

beehive_bob said:
monkey-trousers said:
Cheers Ken. Steve Mills definately played in the team, but isn't on that picture. At the time, he was the most promising prospect, having played for England schoolboys, but he seemed to miss a lot of matches. (Think he may have lived quite far away..Sheffield area?) As far as I am aware Paul Moulden didn't play while I was there, but at 14/15 yrs old they were just a bunch of lads to me at the time, I didn't realise that so many of them were going to make it. The names you've provided certainly ring a bell though. Steve Crompton's dad was a great character. I think the guy top right could be Dave Boyd? The guy with his eyes shut, Steve Macauley?

The team was run by a bloke called Mike Grimsley, well known in the Wythenshawe amateur football scene around the 80's. He was a top bloke and I owe him a good few pints!

And for the record, I do remember Barry Bennell, but I never got in the showers when he was around ;-)

Thanks again Ken.

You know a bloke called Kev Rushton mate? Used to play in City's youth team around this time, played in same team as him at college, was far too good for us though!

Sorry...that name doesn't ring any bells. There was another lad who's name I've just remembered, although he isn't on the picture. Steve Coward. He had a younger brother called Pat who I think may have got as far as playing for the reserves. Can anyone shed any light on this one?

i was on a Y T S @ platt lane back in 1986 , got sacked by tony book for doing my cartlidge ,playing for playing for my ( then ) local boozer in a sunday morning game ( whitegates ,mcr rd hyde ) , went 2 hyde utd , but neva started a game, APPARENTLY I COULD OF BEEN THE NEXT JAMIE POLLOCK , by all accounts

played in school team with Dean Ashton, from what I remember I was better than him, I was scouted for Crewe and had trails at Oldham and City I was tipped to be the next star but when playing a FRIENDLY match for City V Everton, I went down heavily from a tackle and never got back up...broke my foot in 4 places and from then on I never got my Football back on track. Now im support my beloved city and watch them every week!

Not really I was shit, but I did go to school with Dean Ashton and I did break my foot!

OH YEH AND IM A BLUE OF COURSE

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.