Anybody played pro or semi-pro on here?

was okay at school in the net.

got to the final of the league we played in and the cup in year 11 and had a scout from oldham watching me.

nothing came from it and iv stopped playing now because im a fucking bum but i wanna start playing again i miss it.

monkey-trousers said:
beehive_bob said:
You know a bloke called Kev Rushton mate? Used to play in City's youth team around this time, played in same team as him at college, was far too good for us though!

Sorry...that name doesn't ring any bells. There was another lad who's name I've just remembered, although he isn't on the picture. Steve Coward. He had a younger brother called Pat who I think may have got as far as playing for the reserves. Can anyone shed any light on this one?
I used to know a lad called Pat, Monkey. Lived around Withington? Can't remember him ever mentioning he was at City although I'm going back years here.

He was a good footballer, mixed race lad yeah?

monkey-trousers said:
beehive_bob said:
You know a bloke called Kev Rushton mate? Used to play in City's youth team around this time, played in same team as him at college, was far too good for us though!

Sorry...that name doesn't ring any bells. There was another lad who's name I've just remembered, although he isn't on the picture. Steve Coward. He had a younger brother called Pat who I think may have got as far as playing for the reserves. Can anyone shed any light on this one?

Yeah, not a particularly brave kid, played county level.

BLUENATIC said:
monkey-trousers said:
I used to know a lad called Pat, Monkey. Lived around Withington? Can't remember him ever mentioning he was at City although I'm going back years here.

He was mixed race and lived within walking distance of Platt Lane. It could be him.

As Ken has just mentioned he was a bit on the small side. His older brother Steve was small, bit quite stocky and strong with it.

monkey-trousers said:
BLUENATIC said:

He was mixed race and lived within walking distance of Platt Lane. It could be him.

As Ken has just mentioned he was a bit on the small side. His older brother Steve was small, bit quite stocky and strong with it.
Yeah that's Pat, I was taller than him at 12 lol

LCBblue said:
macmanson said:
Yeah, those 2 brothers are also into soccer freestyling as well which helps with the technical part. My son was quite excited about having made it and is eagerly awaiting his first training session, but is nervous about being in the starting 11. I just told him that he has to earn that by demonstrating in training that he's the best option they have available. That games are a chance to demonstrate what you've mastered in training. He's thrilled about the travelling aspect of it, as the club plays in a league with other pro/semi-pro youth teams in Canada & the US. He'll have the full "pro" experience. :)

He was just enjoying playing for local amateur clubs with friends up until about a year ago when his skill level improved vastly over his friends (something I attribute to back to back years of Futsal & ball mastery training) and he started taking training and playing seriously. This year his amateur team ended up a wash and he decided he'd had enough and wanted to pursue a spot with a top level team that took training seriously. Glad it was his decision to pursue it. He's even started working on his soccer freestyling tricks. :)

He evidently has the right attitude to be successful at that high level of football and if he continues with that attitude he'll do well. I have a similar attitude, realism, perseverance and determination, the 'leader of the team' so to speak, now obviously he's new to the team so his confidence in communication on the pitch wont be high but if he can develop that 'chin up lads, keep playing our normal game' type of attitude he'll do well.

Good on him for the call and I'm sure he'll deffo enjoy the travelling, and he'll form a lot of new mates, just as I did all those years ago.

I'd imagine you'd need to be exceptional to make one of the Academy programs in England with the number of kids pushing for those spots. It's similar to how hockey is in Canada. Parents are paying $10,000 a year to have their kid play competitive hockey hoping they'll make it to the NHL with the reality being that roughly 1 in 10,000 kids playing will get a chance at the big time. If you aren't already playing top tier youth hockey at 12 years old, your chances are just about zero of ever making it as a pro.

As for my son, his can-do attitude generally applies to soccer and school, but not so much household chores. :) I guess you choose your battles though. Perserverance and determination is definitely something I've groomed into him through my time coaching him. I've always emphasized that he should do everything to the best of his ability, especially training if he wants to be a great player.

He's a bit of a quiet leader, as he isn't the most vocal but leads by example on the field. He's the kid still playing a 110% even when the game seems out of reach and has on several occassions willed his teams into wins. He'll be reuniting with a couple of old teammates on this team from his U9 & U10 team which he's happy about and knows a few others from school friends so I'm sure he'll fit right in. He's really enjoying the notion of being on a travelling team and getting to see new places. I'm happy for him to be getting the chance to take a shot at doing something he loves to do.

My Brother had trials at City, United and Bolton when he was 12-15. He now plays semi pro for Irlam, used to play for Salford

My Grandad was a proffesional footballer. He played for Wrexham, Stockport, Altrincham, Wolves, Man United (sorry for swearing) Bury, and Radcliffe Borough at the end of his carreer. He also won 2 England caps which my mum and dad have on display in there house. He played against Holland and Belgium (i think its belgium)

Here are some links to him.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Jones_(footballer_born_1937" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Jone ... _born_1937</a>)

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stretfordend.co.uk/playermenu/jones_p.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stretfordend.co.uk/playermenu/jones_p.html</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://wapedia.mobi/en/Category:Wolverhampton_Wanderers_F.C._players" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://wapedia.mobi/en/Category:Wolverh ... C._players</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/player/peterjones.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/ ... rjones.htm</a>

Played at decent level Manchester & District Sunday league, played for the inter-league team with Keith Barnes (Peter's brother) seriously skillful player,played with his socks rolled down.
Back in the day took my eldest lad to platt lane to watch training, Alex Williams had arranged for my lad to meet Tony Coton, while waiting this young lad came over to me and said "Can I have your autograph please" His dad shouted at him "Thats not Steve McMahon, yer daft bugger"

kamakazi trucker said:
i was on a Y T S @ platt lane back in 1986 , got sacked by tony book for doing my cartlidge ,playing for playing for my ( then ) local boozer in a sunday morning game ( whitegates ,mcr rd hyde ) , went 2 hyde utd , but neva started a game, APPARENTLY I COULD OF BEEN THE NEXT JAMIE POLLOCK , by all accounts
So you're saying we had a lucky escape?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.