Anyone been travelling?

BingoBango said:
Revol said:
I've sort of been travelling. Went on a ten day long tour of Tunisia, if that counts.

I've always wanted to do it though. I've even planned out the places I want to go:

Dublin
Paris
Amsterdam
Berlin
Venice
Barcelona
Athens
Istanbul

Fly out of Leeds/Bradford, fly home into Manchester.

Athens is a fantastic city, the Greeks are wonderfully friendly. I was there over Christmas and New Year, and going up to the Acropolis was the fulfillment of a boyhood dream.

Just don't drive, unless you are veeling particularly brave.

Make that 'tired of living'.
Athens is good for about 3 days, then it's off to an island. The Acropolis is indeed quite unique. Unfortunately, Greeks are friendly until they can't get anything else out of you, which is the average attitude towards tourists worldwide, I'm afraid.

Anyone here comes over, give me a heads up, glad to help you out in any way, even if you want to rent a car.

h

Godfather said:
1_barry_conlon said:
Depends what you're into really could have a bearing on where you travel? Do you have any particular interests, history, military stuff etc.

I suppose i would be into historical stuff like ruins and the like, one thing i know i definatley dont want is places where the nightlife is supposed to be amazing, not my scene. I would want to see nature at its finest, Mountains, Lakes, Forests etc...
Travelling across America has always appealed, as has canada.

But i also wouldnt rule out more obscure places like Thailand, Peru, Mexico.

For a mix of history and nature but a bit more obscure than northern europe you should try croatia. We took a driving trip round the Istrian coast, loads of history, then went up to one of the national parks, see link for pics of the scenery, then went over to some of the Islands.
http://images.google.co.uk/images?q...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CCgQsAQwBA
Flew to Venice, couple days there, then coach to Croatia where we collected a hire car. Took the tent in the backpacks and stayed at a different site most nights on the journey. Have no idea about hostels over there.

Did another european one Fly to Berlin, overnight train to gdansk spent a bit of time in Poland, there's loads of history there, generally the english is pretty good, the hostels were good (stayed with friends for some of it) Get yourself to a football match...they are crazy!! The only place we had difficulty with language was actually at the train station but a pen and paper to draw the number of people you want to buy tickets for and the destination worked for us....it's all part of the fun and games!!

Hoping my next adventure will involve more of mid / eastern europe between austria/czech republic down towards turkey

If you like the whole "travelling experience" in off the beaten track parts of europe then venture further afield. Far east is a good place to visit & you say you fancy the Americas, but if you're planning a long trip away just doing your own thing hopping on and off trains, meeting new people in hostels and on campsites, picking up a bit of work here and there, I'd try a few shorter trips/closer to home trips, then if it's not for you it's not so much of a problem getting back than if you'd booked a flight to America with the intention of spending 12 months travelling from one end to the other for example. This type of travelling/exploring is just not for some people and they hate it!!!....Me? I love it and would recommend to anyone. 3 weeks holiday is always a mini adventure.

went travelling properly for the first time when I was 32, planned on a 3 month trip that became 4 due to a broken pelvis but thats a story for another occasion.
Went to South East Asia, did Thailand and Cambodia with my son, a friend and his wife, his missus and my lad went home after 3 weeks and me and my friend continued to do most of Thailand, nearly all of Cambodia and travelled right through Vietnam over the course of 3 weeks, absolutely brilliant trip. Highly recommend it.
If you need any info pm me (and same to anyone else) and I will give you as much info as possible.
I got hooked and still travel out there 2/3 times a year for a few weeks at a time!

I started repping in Greece when I was 20 and that introduced me to people from all over the world, reps and holidaymakers. Got my bug by going to visit people in the winter months....couple of days here, couple of weeks there, couple of months and deportation from there. Its the greatest education you can get when you travel and you make friends for life.

CockneyBlueTheFirst said:
I started repping in Greece when I was 20 and that introduced me to people from all over the world, reps and holidaymakers. Got my bug by going to visit people in the winter months....couple of days here, couple of weeks there, couple of months and deportation from there. Its the greatest education you can get when you travel and you make friends for life.

So long as you remember to keep in touch with 'em... which is what I'm shit at. But you're right about the greatest education.
To the OP, get out there, broaden your mind or you could end up like some boring old 'cudda been a contender' type.
Once that bug bites it opens up your life... a bit like LSD, but that's for another thread.

hackneyslim said:
Some very good information on here.

I can recommend Israel and Egypt. Spent a month on a kibbutz, which is a great experience if you can do the work, and a month in Egypt for pennies (in those days) if you can take the toilet experience. Unbelievable stuff out there - bullets, temples, the desert...

No-one has mentioned European train journeys - very cheap, sleep on the sleepers, stuff is so close together, very easy way to see a lot of places at once. I'm off to Istanbul from here (Athens) come April on the night train - might see you there, phil31?

Check out <a class="postlink" href="http://www.seat.61" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.seat.61</a> - train travel central. Example - NYC - LA for $133.

Generally speaking, mate, check out summer jobs on the internet; find a place you want to go and plan around it; find a mate who wants to go with you; read, read, read - Lonely Planet, Let's Go, whatever. You'll hear some inspirational stories - for example, I had a friend who ended up as the postman to the Antarctic weather stations out of Capetown for 6 months...married a Chilean girl...back in Leicester now, but...

Don't worry about language - 'cluck, cluck' gets you chicken anywhere on the planet, all part of the experience.

Best of luck, whatever you do. You won't regret it...if you live...naaaah.

h

Im leavving manchester for hull begining of April then heading through Belgium towards Germany Austria, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Turkey after about15 weeks of cycling. Hopefully get an iranian visa in istanbul or ankara then head up to the stans. I was going to get the ferry from brindisi in italy to greece but i believe the south of france and italy will eat to much into my budget!!!

The travel bug is alive and kicking. CTID

Swales lives said:
phil31 said:
Im leavving manchester for hull begining of April.

That's not really travelling is it?

It is when your pushing aloaded bike up the a62. Might try and get Benjani a permanent move to one of the farms up there or a swap deal with the farmers best creative sheep from his midfield!!!!

phil31 said:
hackneyslim said:
Some very good information on here.

I can recommend Israel and Egypt. Spent a month on a kibbutz, which is a great experience if you can do the work, and a month in Egypt for pennies (in those days) if you can take the toilet experience. Unbelievable stuff out there - bullets, temples, the desert...

No-one has mentioned European train journeys - very cheap, sleep on the sleepers, stuff is so close together, very easy way to see a lot of places at once. I'm off to Istanbul from here (Athens) come April on the night train - might see you there, phil31?

Check out <a class="postlink" href="http://www.seat.61" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.seat.61</a> - train travel central. Example - NYC - LA for $133.

Generally speaking, mate, check out summer jobs on the internet; find a place you want to go and plan around it; find a mate who wants to go with you; read, read, read - Lonely Planet, Let's Go, whatever. You'll hear some inspirational stories - for example, I had a friend who ended up as the postman to the Antarctic weather stations out of Capetown for 6 months...married a Chilean girl...back in Leicester now, but...

Don't worry about language - 'cluck, cluck' gets you chicken anywhere on the planet, all part of the experience.

Best of luck, whatever you do. You won't regret it...if you live...naaaah.

h

Im leavving manchester for hull begining of April then heading through Belgium towards Germany Austria, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Turkey after about15 weeks of cycling. Hopefully get an iranian visa in istanbul or ankara then head up to the stans. I was going to get the ferry from brindisi in italy to greece but i believe the south of france and italy will eat to much into my budget!!!

How many miles a day are you planning on?

go through europe.....get to moscow....get the orient express into mongolia...make your way through china and do a tour of south east asia(laos,vietnam,kampuchea & thai`).
if money s no worry- go by new zealand and take in some of islands down there( some will be gone in twenty years-swallowed by the sea!).
canada and the US are great..... try the azores,cuba or iceland on the way back!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.