Appalling set pieces

Puppet Master Silva said:
pudge said:
Maybe you should go look at the goal again, buddy. :)
Low and out swinging towards the edge of the box iirc, fell to Edin about 18 yards out sure

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3SQ6657YFI[/youtube]
I remembered correctly then lol

SWP's back said:
We have scored more set plays than anyone else this season.

Here endeth the thread.
Ooh nearly!

Liverpool scored more than us (23) with 19 from us. [stats from squawka.com]

That doesn't show conversion rate neither. With us having the second highest possession stats in the Prem, we will undoubtedly have a huge amount of corners and free kicks - so what is our conversion rate? compared to other team's? Especially from those not scored from a direct shot (Yaya's many direct free kick goals!).

There have been games where we've had 15+ corners and we haven't even got contact with anyone but the defender at the near post with 11 of them (Norwich away, for example) and not got near to scoring from the rest. That is poor. Some of our crossing is terrible!

Even when we've scored from a corner (Villa away) we've had a dozen others that didn't even meet a City head!

KippaxCitizen said:
SWP's back said:
We have scored more set plays than anyone else this season.

Here endeth the thread.
Ooh nearly!

Liverpool scored more than us (23) with 19 from us. [stats from squawka.com]

That doesn't show conversion rate neither. With us having the second highest possession stats in the Prem, we will undoubtedly have a huge amount of corners and free kicks - so what is our conversion rate? compared to other team's? Especially from those not scored from a direct shot (Yaya's many direct free kick goals!).

There have been games where we've had 15+ corners and we haven't even got contact with anyone but the defender at the near post with 11 of them (Norwich away, for example) and not got near to scoring from the rest. That is poor. Some of our crossing is terrible!

Even when we've scored from a corner (Villa away) we've had a dozen others that didn't even meet a City head!
1 from 12, or 8.33%
Average is 1 from 46, or 2.17%

Didsbury Dave said:
Kippax Street 1880 said:
You can't just say we have 'scored the most in the league' because 11 of those 19 are Yaya free kicks and penalties, and any we score from corners are offset by the fact we get between 15 & 30 every game and do fuck all with 99% of them. Can anybody pull up the stats for a corners to goal ratio ?

I don't care about whatever stats anyone cobbles together. I've seen with my own two eyes that we are a threat from set pieces this year - more than for a long time.

Nobody scores from them all, nobody scores from most. The key is to score from a percentage. And we do. And it isn't fucking 1% either.

Our near post corners have had loads of teams flapping this year. You are bound to hit the front man sometimes because there is an incredibly tight window between success and failure. And when we have a free kick around the box we are always dangerous. So we fucked one up. Big deal.
You should watch Atletico Madrid. They must score 80% of their goals from set pieces.

Our corners have been bloody awful this season. Think it was the norwich games where we had our 15 corners and hardly any of them beat the first man.

greasedupdeafguy said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Kippax Street 1880 said:
You can't just say we have 'scored the most in the league' because 11 of those 19 are Yaya free kicks and penalties, and any we score from corners are offset by the fact we get between 15 & 30 every game and do fuck all with 99% of them. Can anybody pull up the stats for a corners to goal ratio ?

I don't care about whatever stats anyone cobbles together. I've seen with my own two eyes that we are a threat from set pieces this year - more than for a long time.

Nobody scores from them all, nobody scores from most. The key is to score from a percentage. And we do. And it isn't fucking 1% either.

Our near post corners have had loads of teams flapping this year. You are bound to hit the front man sometimes because there is an incredibly tight window between success and failure. And when we have a free kick around the box we are always dangerous. So we fucked one up. Big deal.
You should watch Atletico Madrid. They must score 80% of their goals from set pieces.

Our corners have been bloody awful this season. Think it was the norwich games where we had our 15 corners and hardly any of them beat the first man.

Why have we scored so many then?

aguero93:20 said:
1 from 12, or 8.33%
Average is 1 from 46, or 2.17%

can you expand a bit on that stat? 1 what from 12 what? generic corners? specific types of set piece? sorry, perhaps i missed it earlier

pudge said:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3SQ6657YFI[/youtube]

You don't like being wrong do you?
I'm sorry, but to me that is not a near post corner. They by definition must go near the near post, that's not even near the 6 yard box and deliberately played to the edge of the box

What of my description was wrong?

That's as much a near post corner as Moyes is United manager

pudge said:
pudge said:

You don't like being wrong do you?
I'm sorry, but to me that is not a near post corner. They by definition must go near the near post, that's not even near the 6 yard box and deliberately played to the edge of the box

What of my description was wrong?

That's as much a near post corner as Moyes is United manager

That makes no sense, the ball bounces before it reaches the front post, that, surely by definition is a near post corner.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.