Appalling set pieces

Puppet Master Silva said:
pudge said:
You don't like being wrong do you?
I'm sorry, but to me that is not a near post corner. They by definition must go near the near post, that's not even near the 6 yard box and deliberately played to the edge of the box

What of my description was wrong?

That's as much a near post corner as Moyes is United manager

That makes no sense, the ball bounces before it reaches the front post, that, surely by definition is a near post corner.
So "low and out swinging to the edge of the box" was not wrong of me to say?

It bounces here about 12 yards out;

2yx2bn9.png

And is clearly aimed at Edin who is at the edge of the box, doesn't matter how the pass got there it was played to the edge of the box not the near post.

If it was to be dropped in the corner of the 6 yard box then yes, but no, it was played to edge of the box. Hence Dzeko staying back there. It's an example of a good set piece, just not a dangerous near post corner like Sergio vs Arsenal etc

pudge said:
pudge said:
I'm sorry, but to me that is not a near post corner. They by definition must go near the near post, that's not even near the 6 yard box and deliberately played to the edge of the box

What of my description was wrong?

That's as much a near post corner as Moyes is United manager

That makes no sense, the ball bounces before it reaches the front post, that, surely by definition is a near post corner.

2yx2bn9.png

And is clearly aimed at Edin who is at the edge of the box, doesn't matter how the pass got there it was played to the edge of the box not the near post.

If it was to be dropped in the corner of the 6 yard box then yes, but no, it was played to edge of the box. Hence Dzeko staying back there. It's an example of a good set piece, just not a dangerous near post corner like Sergio vs Arsenal etc

It's missed at the front post by two, the corner is still a front post corner that misses its men, and then goes on to result in a goal. The fact you've gone to such effort to try and disprove this corner would suggest you've conceded that we've scored a shit load of front post corners, so I think my point has been made.

pudge said:

2yx2bn9.png

It's missed at the front post by two, the corner is still a front post corner that misses its men, and then goes on to result in a goal. The fact you've gone to such effort to try and disprove this corner would suggest you've conceded that we've scored a shit load of front post corners, so I think my point has been made.
I didn't say we hadn't scored many near post corners? You're arguing the wrong point with the wrong person.

That was "City & Blue Brazil"

I pointed out that the Fulham example was not near post, you said then I could replace it with the spurs one. I maintain it's not a near post corner, as seen by Kompany trying his best to avoid it and shield the ball to the edge of the box...

Apologies for the opinion

I'd go as far as saying our set pieces have cost us the title.

No other top club wastes so many or defends them as poorly as we do.

Liverpool are a prime example they make almost everyone count and that's why they are sat top as they make the difference between winning and drawing tight games.

kiam06 said:
I'd go as far as saying our set pieces have cost us the title.

No other top club wastes so many or defends them as poorly as we do.

Liverpool are a prime example they make almost everyone count and that's why they are sat top as they make the difference between winning and drawing tight games.

Lol

pudge said:
pudge said:

2yx2bn9.png

I didn't say we hadn't scored many near post corners? You're arguing the wrong point with the wrong person.

I pointed out that the Fulham example was not near post, you said then I could replace it with the spurs one. I maintain it's not a near post corner, as seen by Kompany trying his best to avoid it and shield the ball to the edge of the box...

Awfully strange of you to pull Didsbury Dave up on the Fulham corner and then argue that the Spurs one wasn't front post (which it was), if as you claim I'm arguing the wrong point with the wrong person.

shemnel said:
aguero93:20 said:
1 from 12, or 8.33%
Average is 1 from 46, or 2.17%

can you expand a bit on that stat? 1 what from 12 what? generic corners? specific types of set piece? sorry, perhaps i missed it earlier
Direct set pieces within 30 yards of goal including corners.

pudge said:
Didsbury Dave said:
SWP's back said:
Well if that is correct and includes yesterday's then the thread is correct.

Appalling indeed being second out of 20 on set plays.

Boo. Hiss. Sack the board.

Does the above include pens?

The think about set pieces is that I've been hearing that ours are shit for 30 years. It's because fans expect every single one to result in a goal, and if they don't they whinge.
No, its probably something to do with the lack of inswinging corners and the needless one two before a free kick is actually put in the box.

That one free kick at Fulham when Kompany scored; a one two before the cross, someone running back to the far post to head it back across. It's good every now and then, but its what we try 99% of the time. Teams do know this..

Theres nothing wrong with an old fashioned inswinging cross, fizzed in at head height.

Id say people 'winge' over poor execution and predictability. After all, it cost us a goal last night
Idiot after fuxking idiot winges about out swinging corners. But stays show they are the most dangerous. That is why we use them.

Mancini brought it in even though he prefers inswingers.

SWP's back said:
pudge said:
Didsbury Dave said:
The think about set pieces is that I've been hearing that ours are shit for 30 years. It's because fans expect every single one to result in a goal, and if they don't they whinge.
No, its probably something to do with the lack of inswinging corners and the needless one two before a free kick is actually put in the box.

That one free kick at Fulham when Kompany scored; a one two before the cross, someone running back to the far post to head it back across. It's good every now and then, but its what we try 99% of the time. Teams do know this..

Theres nothing wrong with an old fashioned inswinging cross, fizzed in at head height.

Id say people 'winge' over poor execution and predictability. After all, it cost us a goal last night
Idiot after fuxking idiot winges about out swinging corners. But stays show they are the most dangerous. That is why we use them.

Aren't inswinging corners statistically more dangerous? Pretty sure I read it somewhere in that soccernomics book.

pudge said:

Awfully strange of you to pull Didsbury Dave up on the Fulham corner and then argue that the Spurs one wasn't front post (which it was), if as you claim I'm arguing the wrong point with the wrong person.
The Fulham one wasn't even a corner let alone near post, there's no debating that.

This Spurs example is not as cut and dry.

I don't see what's strange about my opinion? Let alone awfully strange.

You said I had conceded the point that we have scored a lot of near post corners.... I never denied that. I hardly pulled him up on his entire point, I just corrected one of the examples.

-- Apr 22nd, '14, 16:48 --

SWP's back said:
pudge said:
Didsbury Dave said:

I dare not argue with the stays..

All I'm saying is mixing it up a bit would be good, maybe a few more inswinging corners. As for the one/two free kicks, just get it in the box.

And not even our set pieces, we never leave anyone up the pitch when we are defending them. Navas when he's on the pitch stands halfway between the post and the edge of the box, for all the height of him and his pace, why not have him on the half way line to help set up the counter? Instead if it gets cleared it usually just comes straight back at us

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.