Applauding the opposition goalkeeper

I remember being at an opposition ground and when our keeper acknowledged their applause they all at once started doing the Vs.
That was only done in jest as most goalies always laughed at ..going back to late 60s early 70s.We did the same when we were in an away END

I was at that game, Easter if I remember rightly. We absolutely battered Stoke in typical wet bank holiday weather but bloody Banks gave one of the best displays of keeping I've ever seen. I think a week later he had the car crash and he had to retire from football. Prematurely I think. He was that good he would probably have been better than most keepers with one eye.
I seem to recall him playing in the US afterwards.... so your point about being better with one eye etc... is correct
Edit .. found this
Banks was forced to retire in 1973 after a car accident cost him the use of an eye. Despite the disability, 5 years later, at the age of 39, he returned to playing with the Fort Lauderdale Strikers in the North American Soccer League. He was voted Goalkeeper of the Season.

Except the day Peter Barnes sat him on his arse and chipped him in front of the North Stand! But, yes, he was famous for the one handed grab with his bear claws on crosses!
That Barnes goal is among my favs, mainly because chipping him was a rare feat.

Remember in 1972 ,at home to Stoke the North Stand roaring "we all fucking hate Stoke"as Banks approached we all applauded him and sang his name. He had a worldy we lost 2-1 and it cost us the title.
At this time the muppets on the Stretford End would applauded the away goaly as he approached then changed to abuse as he acknowledged then. Simple twats.
The best performance by an opposition keeper I've seen at Maine Rd.

A wet, slick and muddy pitch, City peppered him but he was faultless.

Ironic that City agreed to buy him the previous season but Joe tried to chip £5 grand off the fee and Stoke stepped in.

He'd have been the final piece in our team jigsaw and started the decline in Joe & Malcolm's relationship which led to devastating un intended consequences lasting for years.

We had the basis of another league winning team equally as good as the dippers.

definitely used to happen a lot, the last time I remember it happening was with Paul Robinson who played for Blackburn against us in FA Cup 2014 , remembering him applauding us and even giving his water bottle away to a young City fan at FT

Liverpool kop always used to applaud opposing teams keepers (as seen numerous times on tv), most would give them thumbs up or a little wave and the kop applauded them even more, then I was there one day in their main stand, v us, Nicky Weaver ignored them and got dogs abuse.

But then again that shower of cunts also launched a bottle at big Joe, so fuck them

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.