Are City protestant, catholic or neither? Straw Poll

warpig said:
im basing my posts on the title of the thread and 1.6 stating that, traditionally, we have been a protestant club. if i am misunderstanding anything, then apologies to 1.6 and yourself mac. my point is this, since when have city been known as a protestant club?

All I know warpig, is that the Social History of Manchester books that I have read, that have touched on the football fraternity, have said that City were always "perceived" to be followed more by the Protestant and Jewish population. Whether that is correct I don't know, and I have no idea what research, if any, they based that on.

They were referring to over half a century ago though (and more).

It really doen't matter anymore as society is much more diverse now (thankfully) but I do find it interesting.

My family that were Blues were all Catholics though (even 50 odd years ago) and the only rag that married in was a Protestant. So it isn't "science" as such, more how the Club were "perceived."

And that is what is interesting imho.

This...

"mackenzie"]But nobody is saying anything of the sort warpig.
Just saying how it was perceived YEARS ago..

and this

It is clearly a really difficult area to discuss this. I always understood that traditionally city were more protestant and jewish and utd more catholic as i think they were founded by catholic priests in newton heath. Pls don't quote me i am not sure. i spoke to my uncle tonight who is 90 years old and he said that it was like that years ago as the clubs were mainly still linked to their traditional roots, he also said city have always had strong links with freemasonry. I am glad we all seem to have moved on a bit now hate sectarianism and fundamentalism in any form. Born C of E but city are my true religion

Chill out Warpig... This could only touch the nerves of people who care one way or the other!

CTID

My father's knowledge of the club went back to the 1920s and 30s, and through his father back before the First War. He used to explain differences between us and united by saying that while City had always remained an open club as it were, with Protestant and Catholic and Jewish supporters, united had for several periods in their history been very noticeably Catholic, to the extent that during those periods in their history they would have been unlikely to attract many supporters who weren't Catholic.

merlot somme said:
My father's knowledge of the club went back to the 1920s and 30s, and through his father back before the First War. He used to explain differences between us and united by saying that while City had always remained an open club as it were, with Protestant and Catholic and Jewish supporters, united had for several periods in their history been very noticeably Catholic, to the extent that during those periods in their history they would have been unlikely to attract many supporters who weren't Catholic.

that's my understanding too.

i've seen some quite vitriolic articles in rangers fanzines advocating all rangers fans to adopt city as a second team, off the top of my head the reasons were along the lines of our proddy church origins and the rc nature of u*****d. never went in for the religious side of it myself.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.