Are Manchester's bus drivers grumpy?

Mad Eyed Screamer

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/bus-drivers-told-cheer-up-6449359" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... up-6449359</a>

Bus drivers told to cheer up after claims they're too grumpy

Councillor Noel Bailey, a committee member who catches a First Group bus to work daily from his Whitefield home, said more needs to be done to improve the attitude of some drivers.

Bus drivers are being told to cheer up behind the wheel after transport chiefs said they were too grumpy.

Cllr Noel Bayley, who sits on the Transport for Greater Manchester committee, said the attitude of drivers is one of the biggest complaints he hears.

He said: “I ask people the same question – what two things would you change about the buses. They say reliability and driver attitude.

“Those are the things stopping people getting on the buses.”

Cllr Bayley, who travels to work daily by a First bus route from his home in Whitefield, added: “When I get on the bus and I say to the driver 'why are you late?', I don't expect to be greeted with either a grumpy driver who insults you or be told I will stop the bus and you can get off.

“It's great the bus companies have got their fares down but the two remaining issues are punctuality, reliability, and driver attitude.

“I think there has needed to be a change of culture.”

Cllr Bayley, a Labour councillor for St Mary's ward on Bury council, spoke out during a Transport for Greater Manchester committee hearing.

A First Group spokesman told councillors they were working on customer service.

He added: "We've got more punctual bus drivers driven by less grumpy drivers.”

The latest survey from PassengerFocus showed satisfaction at drivers' attitudes to be rated 62 per cent – four per cent down on the previous year, but a First spokesman said their figures from April to September 2013 show complaint levels have dropped by 20 per cent.

He said their 1,700 Greater Manchester drivers undergo rigorous training – with innovative courses run in conjunction with RNIB and cyclists. At the Bury depot, they have a scheme where once a month bosses make early morning tea and toast to send drivers on their way.

Driver Rachael Walker, 24, based at Bury, said: "I'm quite a happy person so I'm a happy driver. In every job you are going to get people who are grumpy. I think drivers can be perceived to be more grumpy than they are - some are probably just shy and misunderstood."

Paul Turner, Business Development Director for First, said: "There is still more work for us to do in this respect and we will continue to work with our partners and the local communities to develop new and innovative training methods for our staff."

Christopher Bowles, managing director of Stagecoach Manchester, said staff training was ongoing, adding: “"Customer service is at the forefront of Stagecoach Manchester's approach to running our services. Drivers meet more than 700 customers in a typical shift and we will continually strive to make sure we look after each and every one of them in the best way we can."

A spokeswoman for Arriva Manchester said: “Arriva is committed to delivering a quality service to all our customers. All our drivers take part in training – which includes customer care within the training programme. We welcome customer feedback and would encourage our customers to contact us directly if they have any comments – good or bad – about the service we provide.”

Sounds like he has an axe to grind from meeting a moody driver.
Who will the COUNCILLOR pick on next?
Watch out the staff at costa coffee or the paper boy for creasing his copy of the times.

Have they nowt else to do?

Bert has had it in for First Bus for years now. Perhaps the overcrowded, bus replacement toss that is 'the tram' would be a better option ?

They seem ok in that respect, but some like to shoot red lights, fucking selfish cunts endangering passengers

DTKOAG said:
Isint that the same Noel Bayley who is a big blue and used to post on here ?
Also did a fanzine ?

Yes that's him, BTH. Can't see what he's whining at tbh. They're there to take you somewhere, not bolster your mood or engage in conversation with you.
I'd be grumpy too if I had their job.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/bus-drivers-told-cheer-up-6449359

Bus drivers told to cheer up after claims they're too grumpy

Councillor Noel Bailey, a committee member who catches a First Group bus to work daily from his Whitefield home, said more needs to be done to improve the attitude of some drivers.

Bus drivers are being told to cheer up behind the wheel after transport chiefs said they were too grumpy.

Cllr Noel Bayley, who sits on the Transport for Greater Manchester committee, said the attitude of drivers is one of the biggest complaints he hears.

He said: “I ask people the same question – what two things would you change about the buses. They say reliability and driver attitude.

“Those are the things stopping people getting on the buses.”

Cllr Bayley, who travels to work daily by a First bus route from his home in Whitefield, added: “When I get on the bus and I say to the driver 'why are you late?', I don't expect to be greeted with either a grumpy driver who insults you or be told I will stop the bus and you can get off.

“It's great the bus companies have got their fares down but the two remaining issues are punctuality, reliability, and driver attitude.

“I think there has needed to be a change of culture.”

Cllr Bayley, a Labour councillor for St Mary's ward on Bury council, spoke out during a Transport for Greater Manchester committee hearing.

A First Group spokesman told councillors they were working on customer service.

He added: "We've got more punctual bus drivers driven by less grumpy drivers.”

The latest survey from PassengerFocus showed satisfaction at drivers' attitudes to be rated 62 per cent – four per cent down on the previous year, but a First spokesman said their figures from April to September 2013 show complaint levels have dropped by 20 per cent.

He said their 1,700 Greater Manchester drivers undergo rigorous training – with innovative courses run in conjunction with RNIB and cyclists. At the Bury depot, they have a scheme where once a month bosses make early morning tea and toast to send drivers on their way.

Driver Rachael Walker, 24, based at Bury, said: "I'm quite a happy person so I'm a happy driver. In every job you are going to get people who are grumpy. I think drivers can be perceived to be more grumpy than they are - some are probably just shy and misunderstood."

Paul Turner, Business Development Director for First, said: "There is still more work for us to do in this respect and we will continue to work with our partners and the local communities to develop new and innovative training methods for our staff."

Christopher Bowles, managing director of Stagecoach Manchester, said staff training was ongoing, adding: “"Customer service is at the forefront of Stagecoach Manchester's approach to running our services. Drivers meet more than 700 customers in a typical shift and we will continually strive to make sure we look after each and every one of them in the best way we can."

A spokeswoman for Arriva Manchester said: “Arriva is committed to delivering a quality service to all our customers. All our drivers take part in training – which includes customer care within the training programme. We welcome customer feedback and would encourage our customers to contact us directly if they have any comments – good or bad – about the service we provide.”

As a bus driver i can safely say this is total horsehit, if you want happier and more punctual drivers the answers lies much further up the food chain i am afraid, also i can guarantee he doesn't get insults or told to get off the bus, so he is also probably a liar as well

I get the bus everyday and I see what the drivers have to put up with. I would be a grumpy get also.

They do a good job

They're miserable fuckers in Leeds as well, but the ladies who used to drive the smaller buses for a while were proper chirpy compared, but they got pulled.

I'd be fucking pissed off if I had to drive a double decker around a city in traffic all day, and clever cunts were demanding explanations why I was late all the time - it's fucking life you dildo!

get on a pushbike if you don't like it tubbies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.