Are The Beatles and Queen overrated?

May was different to any other guitarist I‘ve heard. His solos were written to follow the melody of the song so he didn’t have to improvise them live he could reproduce them almost note for note. Unlike Page who played a different solo every night.

He had a brilliant musical ear - have a listen to Good Company off a Night at the Opera the song starts with a ukulele but by the end he’s reproducing a brass band - reproducing the sounds of the clarinet and brass instruments on his guitar.

Queen’s trademark was vocal harmonies. I know some people hated that but they were incredibly good at layering voices upon voices (for me even better than the Eagles or the Beach Boys). Somebody to Love is an example of creating brilliant gospel harmonies. A lot of this disappeared when they turned commercial in the eighties and started churning out shit like ‘body language“ - I’m surprised May didn’t leave at that point.
The early “no one played synthesiser” days were amazing.

Of course they nicked their approach to backing vocals from The Sweet ;-)

It might be an unpopular opinion but does anyone else think Beatles and Queen are both overrated? Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying they aren’t good bands but I don’t think they are at the very top. I much prefer Rolling Stones and the Who.
Queen are/were cheesy as fuck

Queen are/were cheesy as fuck
The music scene in the 70’s and 80’s was cheesy as fuck.
Queen just managed to produce a better catalogue of songs than many others of the time.
They certainly managed a few stinkers like everyone else but their best stands the test of time.

Is it ok to not enjoy The Beatles ? Absolutely, rarely listen to them. I like their music but just don't choose to listen to them often.

They certainly weren't overrated though. Their output of classic songs and albums in about 6 years of recording music is phenomenal, not to mention how groundbreaking some of their music, songs like A Day In The Life, Tomorrow Never Knows etc. was and a lot of techniques used in recording today were pioneered on their records.

So it's hard to say they were overrated. They're so highly regarded in so many aspects of music for a good reason.

But music from a listening experience is subjective.

Some opinions are unfortunately just wrong , like them being just a boy band which can only come from being a simpleton or never having listened to most of their songs.
Opinions are wrong....if you don't agree?
Lol....the perfect definition of a simpleton, from one ;)
You like them, carry on listening to them then, I think they're crap....and won't!

Is it ok to not enjoy The Beatles ? Absolutely, rarely listen to them. I like their music but just don't choose to listen to them often.

They certainly weren't overrated though. Their output of classic songs and albums in about 6 years of recording music is phenomenal, not to mention how groundbreaking some of their music, songs like A Day In The Life, Tomorrow Never Knows etc. was and a lot of techniques used in recording today were pioneered on their records.

So it's hard to say they were overrated. They're so highly regarded in so many aspects of music for a good reason.

But music from a listening experience is subjective.
I agree with you mate. I heard Robert Fripp (highly regarded guitarist/songwriter with King Crimson) in an interview saying when he was a young guy, a student I think, he heard Sgt Pepper on the car radio while he was driving, he said it was so inspiring from that moment he knew exactly what he wanted to do as a career. The song I think was Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds....Fripp said it was an LSD trip brilliantly put to music. Loads of other famous respected musicians have said similar things. So you think, how can they be overrated If so many your peers think you are the best ?
I've played in loads of semi-pro bands in my life and nearly everyone I've played with admires them, even the guys who don't particularly like them. The premise is always "how did they write such great songs with such variety in 6 years". It's quite phenomenal what they did.
I think they released about 200 songs and every one has been covered by somebody.
Up to 2017 there are 2200 cover versions of one of their songs.... Yesterday.
And lets not forget, Britain was considered a joke musically by the rest of the world, nothing of renown, until The Beatles.

Of course there are the haters, but that's with everything isn't it ?

Last edited:
My two favourite bands. The record sales and the enduring appeal of both don’t lie.

I’ve loved Queen ever since their first single, Seven Seas Of Rhye. Their music was full of brilliant tunes and intelligent lyrics.

Freddie was arguably the greatest front-man ever, with a fantastic stage presence and a superb voice to match.

The Beatles were brilliant too.

The evolution of their music was plain to hear from album to album, and they were pioneers in their use of non-conventional pop/rock music instruments, especially on Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Neither band is overrated, IMHO.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.