Are The Beatles and Queen overrated?

They were far more than a pop group.

The Beatles changed the way music was recorded and thought about. There's music before The Beatles and after them quite and they changed the way it was recorded, expanded the idea of what it could be, made the studio the principle way to record albums. They turned pop music from throwaway music aimed at kids into a valid artform and are, without question, one of the most important musicians of any genre in the 20th century. They are right up there with Debussy, Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Armstrong, Ellington etc.

Paul Weller and Queen come nowhere close to them. Quite simply, The Beatles changed music.

If you don't believe me, you should read what their musical peers said about them.
You copied and pasted someone's work...Ironic

It might be an unpopular opinion but does anyone else think Beatles and Queen are both overrated? Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying they aren’t good bands but I don’t think they are at the very top. I much prefer Rolling Stones and the Who.
Thats all it is, musical taste and opinion. I love all music and those who make it and play it. In answer to the OP, personally I like morw Beatles music than I do Queen's music, but I respect them both for being world changing bands which is what they are. As are the Stones and The Who. Its not a competition. All musos play on eachothers songs and makings, they dont see it as ranking or competing and neither should the listener. Music people and instrumentalists share and help eachother and contribute to one another. We should embrace it like they do, not grade them

It might be an unpopular opinion but does anyone else think Beatles and Queen are both overrated? Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying they aren’t good bands but I don’t think they are at the very top. I much prefer Rolling Stones and the Who.

Depends who you think they are overrated by. If it’s just by people that like listening to their music, then each to their own.

If it’s by musicians or composers then I’d be interested to hear the argument. Personally I’ve listened to and played Beatles songs for thirty years and I’m still learning from them and if anything, I’d argue they’re underrated by most.

No don't be silly.

Freddie Mercury's voice was fantastic, If you didn't like the style he sang, fair play. The Beatles were a pop group with catchy tunes that has been replicated time and time again. Paul Weller shits all over the Beatles, but Fred's voice ageless

Stay off those drugs laddie they ain't doin ya noggin much good.

Freddie Mercury's voice was fantastic, If you didn't like the style he sang, fair play. The Beatles were a pop group with catchy tunes that has been replicated time and time again. Paul Weller shits all over the Beatles, but Fred's voice ageless

Have you just listened to the red album of the Beatles…? ;)

You copied and pasted someone's work...Ironic
I'm not sure it's ironic. I said The Beatles are one of the 20th Centuries greatest musicians and gave you reasons why. I put the link there so you can read what people like Bob Dylan, Ozzy Osborne (Black Sabbath), Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin), Brian Wilson (Beach Boys), Tom Petty, Joe Walsh (Eagles), Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Pete Townshend, Phil Collins, Alice Cooper... and even Brian May (Queen) said about them.

Here's Brian May's quote for you:

"I don’t think anybody comes close to The Beatles, including Oasis.”
–Brian May, Queen

Brian May says that no one comes close to them - that includes Queen and Paul Weller. They were light years ahead of anyone else in that period in terms of creativity, quality, songwriting and culture defining. You simply cannot compare Paul Weller or Queen to them.

The Beatles didn't just copy other peoples music and write nice pop music.

I much preferred Queen on their earlier albums. A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races and News if the World for example are all great albums. When the Game was released that was a turning point and the band went much more commercial. The lowest point was Hot Space which in the main was complete shite.

The Beatles also went through a transformation from a 3 minute pop band to a much more sophisticated band whose music covered multiple genres. They were helped by the fact that they stopped touring ( no need to reproduce the studio recordings) and they had the perfect producer in George Martin. There’s no doubting the song writing talent and what they managed to achieve on an 8 track recorder was amazing.
Shame they were scousers.

I remember Stannage playing nothing but the Beatles one night around xmas.1990 on Piccadilly and it really brought it home to me the quality and range of their music

But some find them a bland sellout compared to their hard rocking Hamburg days

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.