Are The Beatles and Queen overrated?

It's the very nature of Music and Band fandom to seek something that little bit different to nail your colours to.
I think the brilliance of The Beatles in particular is taken for granted. They broke down the doors for so much of what came later. I also think they were fortunate to be partnered with George Martin.

Queen , Mercury apart were a joke for me, Freddie was a wonderful performer and made them.

Beatles produced timeless music but in saying that after recently listening to a lot of their stuff it's beginning to sound really dated.

It's a very British thing to knock successful people. Some try too hard to be different. Oh look at me I don't like the beatles, I don't follow the herd, they're so overrated by the masses because you know they don't have my nuances and superior taste in music. I'm a right rebel me.

So transparent:-)

Queen , Mercury apart were a joke for me, Freddie was a wonderful performer and made them.

Beatles produced timeless music but in saying that after recently listening to a lot of their stuff it's beginning to sound really dated.
That's a bit harsh on the other members of Queen, they are excellent musicians, and it was Freddie's solo stuff that was the joke. As a band they were greater than the sum of the parts, which is what you want, perhaps the greatest example.

It's difficult to judge the Beatles for me as they were long finished, and 25% dead, by the time I started appreciating music. I struggle to enjoy their albums but that is likely down to too many people banging on about them year after year as I grew up. That said, I love ELO and they (or more accurately Jeff Lynne) are clearly influenced by them, so I can't deny their impact on my musical tastes. Difficult to quantify it though. Would music have eventually evolved the same without the Beatles and George Martin?

That's a bit harsh on the other members of Queen, they are excellent musicians, and it was Freddie's solo stuff that was the joke. As a band they were greater than the sum of the parts, which is what you want, perhaps the greatest example.

It's difficult to judge the Beatles for me as they were long finished, and 25% dead, by the time I started appreciating music. I struggle to enjoy their albums but that is likely down to too many people banging on about them year after year as I grew up. That said, I love ELO and they (or more accurately Jeff Lynne) are clearly influenced by them, so I can't deny their impact on my musical tastes. Difficult to quantify it though. Would music have eventually evolved the same without the Beatles and George Martin?
Great musicians don't always make the best bands, personality and attitude is a lot to do with it.

It might be an unpopular opinion but does anyone else think Beatles and Queen are both overrated? Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying they aren’t good bands but I don’t think they are at the very top. I much prefer Rolling Stones and the Who.
Not in the least and I'm shocked that anyone regardless of the subjective nature of the question would include The Rolling Stones in the conversation, now they were overrated. I do like The Who but even they're not in the running against them two.

No way are The Beatles overrated. Overplayed maybe, but not overrated. As others have said, they influenced a lot of what came later. That said, they didn't invent music and they themselves were influenced by others. There was shit loads of good music around in the 60s though and it didn't all come about because of The Beatles. The Beach Boys, for example, were doing their bit in America at roughly the same time The Beatles started out.

The legacy of The Beatles will always be huge but I do think even if they weren't around that music would've still evolved one way or another anyway.

Stupid thread. If you like them you'll praise them, and if you don't you're gonna tell everyone why. Both good bands although i don't listen to them much nowadays.
Agreed. Music is subjective. One man's meat is another man's poison (maybe even murder). People know my views, likes and dislikes. What I think isn't going to change the views of fans of certain other bands. Or vice versa.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.