Are we getting more popular abroad?

MSP said:
12 millions Facebook fans, It was few weeks ago or so when official site was bragging about 10 millions, it's rising on huge way.

I remember, in title winning season, when Arsenal fans were making joke of City because unofficial van Persie fan page had 4-5 millions fans while official City one had less than 2 mil.

The band wagon jumpers gotta' jump.

As a fan who has lurked quietly about for 10 years, City is definitely gaining popularity here in Singapore. Seeing newsreaders actually saying anything at all about City still throws me off a little after so long without any media coverage. I'd literally never even seen a blue jersey out and about till last year. It's pretty refreshing being the slightly smug female city supporter amidst a sea of distraught united fans rather than the oft patronised girl who 'supports the wrong team', even if it means getting shit about glory hunting and 'name a city player from before the oil money'.

I think in Singapore anyone over 40 is generally a liverpool fan (my dad included) and anyone under that is generally an unbearable united fan. I've also been seeing a few Bayern jerseys pop up over the past few years. arsenal and chelsea also have a larger following than City.

But amazingly enough Sergio is being flown down here for a few days (with wio?) and the media is enthusiastically stirring up the whole Manchester Derby thing. Can't wait - nearly threw up with excitement when City came for pre-season a few years ago.

Just my little tidbits. (be gentle on a first-time poster?)

sunscribble said:
As a fan who has lurked quietly about for 10 years, City is definitely gaining popularity here in Singapore. Seeing newsreaders actually saying anything at all about City still throws me off a little after so long without any media coverage. I'd literally never even seen a blue jersey out and about till last year. It's pretty refreshing being the slightly smug female city supporter amidst a sea of distraught united fans rather than the oft patronised girl who 'supports the wrong team', even if it means getting shit about glory hunting and 'name a city player from before the oil money'.

I think in Singapore anyone over 40 is generally a liverpool fan (my dad included) and anyone under that is generally an unbearable united fan. I've also been seeing a few Bayern jerseys pop up over the past few years. arsenal and chelsea also have a larger following than City.

But amazingly enough Sergio is being flown down here for a few days (with wio?) and the media is enthusiastically stirring up the whole Manchester Derby thing. Can't wait - nearly threw up with excitement when City came for pre-season a few years ago.

I am just surprised a female was able to stay quiet for so long and not say anything :)

Just kidding and welcome glad to hear your thoughts from a side of the world not many on here visit .

sunscribble said:

I may have already posted this earlier in the thread, or on a similar one recently; I get over to Singapore 4-5 times a year. Always see loads of Liverpool and a fair bit of Arsenal and some rags. When I was last there in January I saw City shirts for the first time. Three of them, all away shirts and all worn by older guys. I'm back again in a couple of weeks and hope to see some more!

sunscribble said:

Welcome sunscrible. May I congratulate you on your impeccable taste in football teams.

In India, not so much. It's United and Chelsea who are huge, then maybe Liverpool, followed by Arsenal. The fans will come though, it's only a matter of time, a fair few United supporters may switch over if the blue half looks a better bet for glory in the next few years.

sunscribble said:

You rule!!

On holiday in Scottsdale, Arizona USA. Worn City shirt today all day in honour of the match and win as well as the day we flew in 2 days ago. (I like to travel wearing City.)

Only seen one football shirt of any kind other than my City ones, that was a boy in the airport with a Colorado MLS shirt.

Though, the nice elderly lady seated next me on the aeroplane did ask if I was a professional footballer. :) If only I was single and women 18-23 asked me that...

Not with my wife and neighbours,since I was ballooning around the front room in the middle of the night and screaming "get the fuck in".
She's gone to her mother's but it was pictures and no sound prior to that,whilst my neighbour has blanked me as I was working in the garden earlier.
I see the odd one in the centre of Sydney,around where I live it's Irish backpackers in Utd/Liverpool shirts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.