Are we getting more popular abroad?

The Colonel said:
Wardie said:
Thaksinssoldier said:
I'm not surprised about the City gear popping up in Dublin, but what I am surprised about is lifestyle sports(our major chain) now gives us as much shelf space as the Rags. Considering 5 years ago you'd be lucky to find a home shirt, seeing polos, tracksuits and kids stuff marks a sea change!

Yeah there are. City tops in Laois now!
What I used to love in the 80s and 90s is that whichever town I would go to in Ireland there was always one local bloke with a city top on. Someone who just didn't want to follow the crowds.

Nah mate, we were the original glory hunters that started following the holy trinity and were too stubborn to change.
That patience is now being rewarded though

I've noticed that on the big TV ads where the people wear random football shirts there's always a contingent wearing light blue. Unheard of a few years ago.<br /><br />-- Sun May 04, 2014 7:19 am --<br /><br />I've noticed that on the big TV ads where the people wear random football shirts there's always a contingent wearing light blue. Unheard of a few years ago.

City fan from the states here. I became a fan back around 1996 for the following reasons:

1) All the douchebag United "fans" that magically popped up in the states in the 90's. There's nothing more insufferable than a bandwagon, front-running fan who simply cheers for the top team. I figured I couldn't go wrong by running in the opposite direction.

2) Big Oasis fan (I'm willing to bet any American who was a City fan before 2008 was also an Oasis fan). Oasis & City went hand-in-hand for me.

3) I'm from Cleveland (northern, working-class town) & City reminded me of a Cleveland team (long-suffering but lots of tradition & great fan support). None of our teams have won a title since 1964, so I know what it's like cheering for a miracle year in, year out.

Prior to the last few years, following City meant watching the occasional televised match (not many as the only televised EPL clubs were usually Utd, Arsenal, L'pool or Chelsea) & following the club/league on the internet. However, a few years back the EPL (and City) decided to aggressively go after the American market, and now I can watch EVERY SINGLE MATCH LIVE. Because of this, I think you're seeing the EPL's popularity skyrocketing in the states, and since City are one of the top clubs, naturally they are becoming more popular.

When I first started following the club the only players I knew were Gio Kinkladze & Uwe Rosler (then Goater, Dickov, Wright-Phillips, Dunne, etc). Now (thanks to expanded tv coverage & the fabulous City TV channel), I know every player on the squad, their home country, & the fact that Kolarov loves Christmas carols.

You can follow who you want, but only you can know what you really believe and love in. City Til I Die is global, always was, just getting bigger and bigger.
Hong Kong last week was full of knock off shirts on people's backs, mainly Chelski, City and Ar$enil.

The story that started this topic was ment to be just what it was ... a story. Nothing more to it really.

Yet it spraked of a nice bunch of reactions from all over the globe, simply underlining what we already knew. City has become more popular abroad. And switching from Umbro to Nike has helped, although I still try to come on terms with that on. When I was dragged in to the life of a Man.City fan back in 1976, it was Umbro. At my local footballclub I stole the show. Nobody ever saw a City-shirt and people knew Umbro only from watching a FA-cup final on the Dutch telly. Those were the days of Adidas and Puma. In Holland that is.

The footies overhere are a fan of the EPL and obviously the main support goes to the so called old "top 4", mainly Arsenal and United. Since Sheik Mansour took over, City has not been very popular. It is slowly changing, but I'm not sure about the Nike-impact.
When Everton scored on Saturday the people in the pub (a pub where I and a close set of City-fans watch the games unless we visit a game in England) all seem united in wanting us to drop points. The sole Everton-fan ofcourse and understandable, but also the dippies in there who recently crawled out of the wood, nutral Dutch visitors who like football, and all of the regulars that we know of who they support cheerfully joined in. The few rags who decided to hang around after another low, were undecided. For them it's bad enough the titlerace is between us and Liverpool.

So when it comes to the wire, we are still not popular. Yet you tend to see a Citytop in the streets or in the gym. Normally I would walk up to that person, knowing he or she would be a true Cityfan. Not sure anymore. Is it a fan, a gloryhunter, or one that just likes wearing a Nike-item for that matter?

City is definitely catching up in India, or rather in Asia as a whole. More people are aware there's a club called Manchester City here. Few years back people hardly used to recognize City. Lots merchandise and City shirts is seen now.

Where I Iive, it's a small Spanish village,yet the men and women who follow football are mainly Madrid fans with a few atletico, barca fans.they all know who we are with city getting a good exposure from the Spanish press.add that with my 2 kids who have their friends round( mainly when city are on) and when we score we all go bananas,with even the Spanish kids singing along..in the 2 bars they always ask about city.oh and they know the rags do not come from Manchester .

This is the first time I have commented on here in a long while. I'm writing in response to a previous post about being popular in China due to Sun Jihai's connection with us.

I currently live and work in China, Inner Mongolia to be exact, and have done for 2 years. Being in the north of China, not too far away from Beijing and Shanghai by plane, I thought that football would be quite predominant up here. I was wrong. China is very 'Americanised' and basketball is huge over here. Whenever I walk past a high school or the local park, kids are playing basketball instead of football. Rarely do you see kids kicking a footy about. Whenever I say I'm from Manchester I get the same replies of 'Oh Beckham!' and 'Rooney/Ronaldo'. Makes me sick. I have seen the odd football shirt knocking about though. Seen a Leicester City shirt not too long ago. Few Rags, Chelski, Red bin dips. I have seen some Arsenal training tracksuits worn by school children here. No City unfortunately...Except mine of course. I do parade around in the 1982 Saab shirt though, so I guess with the old style badge on display people don't have a clue. I wear an up to date shirt in the gym here. There is a guy in there who occasionally wears a rag shirt. I look at him and he looks at me and doesn't bat an eyelid. Especially when we beat them at the swamp and saw each other the next day. I just don't think he knows who we are. When I make the trips up to Beijing and Shanghai to the cheap markets for some shopping I nip into the sports shops. They have knock off City shirts in there. Along with Spuds, Blue/red dippers, Arse, Chelski, Rags and teams from all over the globe.

Right, that's my 2 yuan on that then. Goodbye.

I have been living in Asuncion, Paraguay now since February 2010 and when I first came here mine seemed the only City shirt on the streets but occasionally I would see a local wearing a City shirt, mainly due to our connection with Roque Santa Cruz. The predominant shirts were the Rags, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool in that order.

Whilst teaching in schools and English institutes I would tell the students where I was from and before they had the chance to comment I said that I was a Manchester City fan and we were the only team in Manchester. When we signed Kun Aguero the interest went up several notches, to the point that the students would talk to me about the City game the previous weekend. The majority of the students had previously supported Chelsea but more and more would tell me that City were now their team.

However, after THAT goal the interest exploded to the point that I would see a City shirt, mostly fake ones, at least once a week where previously it would be once every 3-4 months. Now that City are wearing Nike shirts this has increased further, especially since a Nike store has opened here and as a consequence Nike rip offs are being worn regularly. I still see the occasional Chelsea and Rag shirts but City are definitely surging forward and are becoming the EPL shirt to wear. Obviously one of the other reasons that City are becoming popular is the large South American contingent in our squad, plus the Spaniards as well.

Now when I mention Manchester the overwhelming response is City and the names of Yaya Toure, Silva, Negredo, Zabaleta, Dzeko, Kompany are mentioned regularly, as well as the media focus of Aguero who you see on advertising boardings and adverts as much as Messi and Ronaldo and even more than Neymar. I even remember one person saying "Manchester City!" when I was wearing a bobble hat with the old City crest on it.

So in Paraguay Manchester City are getting more popular and I believe soon we will be the shirt everyone will want to wear after we hopefully win the Premier League this season and especially when we win the Champion's League in the not too distant future.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.