Are we getting more popular abroad?

My mate is just back from Australia after a couple of years teaching football to kids over there and he reckons they are all going mental about Melbourne Heart, all really excited about the link to City and the potential growth of the league. There is surely no doubt that we are becoming more and more famous and with that will inevitably come fans

ardwickboy said:
PhuketBlue said:
irishben said:
Pretty Popular in Thailand, mostly due to Frank, and then winning the League seemed to seal it

Getting more popular for sure but still miles behind the rags, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea.
They are decades in front of us, but we will catch them up one day.

I was going to say, it will probably take 10 years of success to see a huge impact. With our style of football we will attract so many knew fans and add to that trophies and we will gradually reduce the gap on the others.

Most despised team by the rag- and red scouse infested press here in Norway. That's kind of popularity also I guess.

I always try and travel in something City related in Airports and wear a City hat on the beach.

I've noticed over the past couple of years that Airport staff, waiters etc around Europe like to chat footie and know who we are.

6 or 7 years ago I was in Bulgaria and a big MU fan of a shopkeeper (his words) had no idea City existed and was quite dismissive of us. I left the shop having advised him of a term to call United fans that they all really love. It wasn't a very PC thing to do but i was on holiday, hot and had a belly full of beer. Mrs Moon told me off afterwards as well. ;(

No question about that, although here in Central Europe I would not say that the popularity is increasing rapidly, but it is increasing.

As you can see I logged on to this site way before the Arab takeover and started to support City just because Oasis and the fact that I always disliked the rags (and in general, red teams :D).

Today, there is a City group on a social site that counts cca. 200 people and the mods are aware that nobody who is inactive or admittedly 'supports' every second team can get to this group. It's a small number, but then again, ten years ago if a group like that would have existed, it would count like 10 people at most.

On the other hand, I am a blogger on a Hungarian City blog and the average count of comments for one post goes to like 10-15 posts from 4-5 people. Then I check Liverpool's blog who were big underachievers in the last few years, and they generate like 200-300 comments...

-- Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:03 pm --

DruntBlunt said:
Most despised team by the rag- and red scouse infested press here in Norway. That's kind of popularity also I guess.

Haha. I never really got into why are Liverpool (and even Everton?) and the rags that popular out there in Scandinavia.

Usual Suspects would rack up many fans here in Africa (dippers, arse, chelsea, rags) but popularity is certainly increasing tho. Yaya's influence in city goes far more than what he does on the pitch he's a great ambassador. (Nominated for African personality of the year.) Also the Nigerian kids the Eds signed up, if and when they come good would also go along way in improving our popularity here.

It is great having supporters from Norway and Hungary on here, feel sorry for you Vikings, for having to endure Dippers and Rags parading around the fjords, you Magyars must suffer too.
Anyway, good to hear from you lads/lasses.

Taxi driver taking me to stadium last night was a benefica fan and from the Portuguese I could understand was that we had ruined the world with our cash...I didn't tip him !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.