Are we getting more popular abroad?

Spending a week in Murcia, Spain at the moment and my not many know anything of city to be honest. People know aguero and silva but it's more of a "I haven't heard of then for ages".

Not 100% sure where I read this, it might even have been the MEN, but ESPN (?) asked 10,000 fans around the globe to name their preferred starting 11 in a football match. The only two players from the Premiership were Yaya and Aguero. The next closest was Kompany, who is next in line to replace one of the centre backs.

Not bad.

A lad from sierra lione sat next to me against sunderland he said theres 28 city supports clubs there.
nice lad hes here to see us win the league again

Maybe a little but we need to win the champs league a few times before we get proper plastics.

eversince 76 said:
It's getting close to the WC in Brasil, so over here (in Holland) supermarkets give away photograps of footballplayers that little kids can collect. So I walked out of the supermarket and immediately two kids (guess about 10 year olds) came up to me to ask if they could get mine. Ok, but you both have to answer two questions and they have to be 100% correct.

1. There are two team in Manchester. Who are they and what is the colour of the tops?
( I know there's only ONE team from Manchester, but I kept the quiz low-profile to get rid of what they wanted )
Answer: Manchester United (fookers still being mentioned first), and Manchester City, United in red, City in blue.
Correct.

2. Name 3 players from the Manchester City-side and on what position they play?
Straight away: Aguero, centreforeward ... welldone
Straight after: Dzeko, centreforeward ... ok, not our best player, but seemingly popular and welldone again
Than it stopped for a few minutes. In the conversation I thought I'd heared the name of Nani, but it could have been Nasri as well.
10 seconds to go ... 9 ... 8 ... 7 ... 6 ... 5 ... 4 ... 3 (panicking kids) ...2 ... 1
Give us a clue!
Ok, do you know the Belgium team? Yes yes !! (obviously)
Who is the big defender and their skipper?
... and it went completely quiet ...
Do you guys know any Belgium player? Yes, Hazard (aaarghh, fook, so wrong to mention him)
Yes, but he's not the one I'm after, I mean you're after...
Kompany? the quiet one whispered
There you go.
And I glady handed over 3 photographs (never even looked who they were tbh) and when I did the other lad said he didn't know Kompany was a City-player.

Anyways, so far for our popularity with the kids abroad. Not a topic, just a nice story. Pretty sure 4 years ago they would not have been able to answer the 1st quastion right. A lot of people in Holland refer to United when saying Manchester... fools !

Sorry to have bothered you.

I bet those kids were Sorry you bothered them Eric! Go and plant some Tulip bulbs, instead of trying to be Magnus Magnusson! lol.

I found the black with wavy lines training kit buried behind the generic/plain nike football shirts in the nike store at Harajuku.

I'd say thats progress.

Gabriel said:
eversince 76 said:
It's getting close to the WC in Brasil, so over here (in Holland) supermarkets give away photograps of footballplayers that little kids can collect. So I walked out of the supermarket and immediately two kids (guess about 10 year olds) came up to me to ask if they could get mine. Ok, but you both have to answer two questions and they have to be 100% correct.

1. There are two team in Manchester. Who are they and what is the colour of the tops?
( I know there's only ONE team from Manchester, but I kept the quiz low-profile to get rid of what they wanted )
Answer: Manchester United (fookers still being mentioned first), and Manchester City, United in red, City in blue.
Correct.

2. Name 3 players from the Manchester City-side and on what position they play?
Straight away: Aguero, centreforeward ... welldone
Straight after: Dzeko, centreforeward ... ok, not our best player, but seemingly popular and welldone again
Than it stopped for a few minutes. In the conversation I thought I'd heared the name of Nani, but it could have been Nasri as well.
10 seconds to go ... 9 ... 8 ... 7 ... 6 ... 5 ... 4 ... 3 (panicking kids) ...2 ... 1
Give us a clue!
Ok, do you know the Belgium team? Yes yes !! (obviously)
Who is the big defender and their skipper?
... and it went completely quiet ...
Do you guys know any Belgium player? Yes, Hazard (aaarghh, fook, so wrong to mention him)
Yes, but he's not the one I'm after, I mean you're after...
Kompany? the quiet one whispered
There you go.
And I glady handed over 3 photographs (never even looked who they were tbh) and when I did the other lad said he didn't know Kompany was a City-player.

Anyways, so far for our popularity with the kids abroad. Not a topic, just a nice story. Pretty sure 4 years ago they would not have been able to answer the 1st quastion right. A lot of people in Holland refer to United when saying Manchester... fools !

Sorry to have bothered you.

Nice tale.

Ironic? Some people in the Netherlands still resent being called from 'Holland'. ;-)

Bleeding cloggers......never happy ;)

Was in Sydney this time last week and when I was in a pub one night, the barman asked where my accent was from. After saying Manchester he (after asking if I'm a scouser!!) asked if i'm City or united. Was quite shocked as normally they only ask about them lot, especially Aussies who are shocking when it comes to football.

MCFCDroylsdenBlue said:
Was in Sydney this time last week and when I was in a pub one night, the barman asked where my accent was from. After saying Manchester he (after asking if I'm a scouser!!) asked if i'm City or united. Was quite shocked as normally they only ask about them lot, especially Aussies who are shocking when it comes to football.
That's probably the Melbourne link doing it's work!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.