Are we going to win the League ?

Since the premier league started,how many teams who were top after christmas/new year fixtures,went on to win compared to those coming from behind to do it?

moomba said:
6 points isn't a big lead. Particularly at this stage of the season.
Of course it is especially when you look at uniteds next run of fixtures. Next week is crucial we really need Swansea to do us a favour. We face Norwich (who are on an amazing run at the moment) and Sunderland (we always struggle against them) after Christmas while united have 2 home games so any slip up for us means we could go 8 or 9 points behind them which would be incredibly difficult at any stage of the season to claw back. Then we have Arsenal away where we never seem to win in the league which could mean more points behind. Imo the Jan signings/departures will be crucial to whether we win the league or not.

deano ou812 said:
Since the premier league started,how many teams who were top after christmas/new year fixtures,went on to win compared to those coming from behind to do it?

Teams top at Christmas have ended up first 9 times, second 4 times, third 4 times, fourth 2 times and sixth once.<br /><br />-- Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:41 pm --<br /><br />
greasedupdeafguy said:
Of course it is especially when you look at uniteds next run of fixtures. Next week is crucial we really need Swansea to do us a favour. We face Norwich (who are on an amazing run at the moment) and Sunderland (we always struggle against them) after Christmas while united have 2 home games so any slip up for us means we could go 8 or 9 points behind them which would be incredibly difficult at any stage of the season to claw back. Then we have Arsenal away where we never seem to win in the league which could mean more points behind. Imo the Jan signings/departures will be crucial to whether we win the league or not.

You presume that they can't be defeated and we'll struggle to win any game coming up.

I think we've earned a little more faith than that to be honest (and them a little less faith that some seem to give them).

We play them still so 6 points is nothing really. Of course I'd rather be 6 points up than 6 points down. But I'll ask you a question, when we were 5/6 points up last December did you think we had the title in the bag? I certainly didnt so I'm not going to get carried away when they're 6 points up.

moomba said:
deano ou812 said:

Teams top at Christmas have ended up first 9 times, second 4 times, third 4 times, fourth 2 times and sixth once.

-- Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:41 pm --

greasedupdeafguy said:

You presume that they can't be defeated and we'll struggle to win any game coming up.

I think we've earned a little more faith than that to be honest (and them a little less faith that some seem to give them).

We play them still so 6 points is nothing really. Of course I'd rather be 6 points up than 6 points down. But I'll ask you a question, when we were 5/6 points up last December did you think we had the title in the bag? I certainly didnt so I'm not going to get carried away when they're 6 points up.
At this stage im not even thinking about the united game but having to go to Old Trafford with a good possibility of being 6 points behind makes it even worse. I know we won there last year but our record against them especially away is dreadful as is our record against the likes of Spurs, arsenal, Everton etc away from home who we still have to play. And last year at this stage we weren't 6 points clear it was always very close. And I don't presume they cant be defeated its just very likely they will beat the likes of West brom and Newcastle at home while our fixtures at Sunderland are much more difficult as last year showed.

Put it this way if we were 6 points ahead at this stage of the season I would not be getting excited and neither are most United fans, there is a long way to go yet and many a trip and fall along the way

greasedupdeafguy said:
At this stage im not even thinking about the united game but having to go to Old Trafford with a good possibility of being 6 points behind makes it even worse. I know we won there last year but our record against them especially away is dreadful as is our record against the likes of Spurs, arsenal, Everton etc away from home who we still have to play. And last year at this stage we weren't 6 points clear it was always very close. And I don't presume they cant be defeated its just very likely they will beat the likes of West brom and Newcastle at home while our fixtures at Sunderland are much more difficult as last year showed.

We were 5 points ahead on the 5th of December. It stayed that way until the 10th of December when they went 2 points behind but we had a game in hand.

Last year when they went behind they hunted us down, they got tough, they were very determined and they continually re-enforced this myth that the second half of the season is the time when other teams choke and they make their run to another title. For me, it wasn't until the Arsenal game that they went 8 points clear and thought they had the title won. They lost their focus and single minded determination, RM played on that perfectly. Once you lose the focus it's not that easy to get it back.

That sort of stuff influences other teams, and it does get them results. And it's not just players, or management. Everyone at the club spouts the same bullshit, how many times did you hear about how we were going to choke, we didn't have the experience, United were going to run all over us. Everyone there gets on the same page.

We on the other hand seem to want to give them more credit than we're prepared to give our own team, the current premier league champions. We talk about how difficult it is to win at Spurs, and at Arsenal. Well guess what? It's just as difficult for them. They are not invincible, they are not going to win their next 21 matches and the onus is on us to hang in, make up ground when they do trip up and avoid dropping points ourselves.

At this stage 6 points is nothing.

We got to keep believing until it is impossible. 6 points isn't a huge gap at this stage, and same type of performance of yesterday will help us as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.