Are your kids good at sport?

My eldest has always loved skateboarding, bodyboarding and surfing. He is, however, complety lacking in limb control, general coordination and is more likely to trip over a wave than catch one! He's OK at table tennis.
Youngest is the polar opposite and excels at stuff. He plays lacrosse for England.

My oldest was a sprinter and set his grammar school record in the 100 and 200 meters before running for a year in high school and then giving it up during COVID and turning to theater. My youngest is a high jumper and won several meets in high school and was recruited to some small colleges — she’ll be jumping in college as a first-year come this season. Our grammar school had a very well-developed track and field program with a wonderful phys ed teacher as coach who was a great inspiration to both kids. Both played a few other sports (mostly footy; the oldest was a keeper and the youngest played mostly right back) but despite my outstanding training as their coach (LOL) they didn’t blossom into long-term players.

My daughter (15) is dreadful at sport. Cannot throw, catch or run. Always has been with the exception of swimming. She was a great little swimmer as young as seven or eight. She could do all the strokes very well, including butterfly. She would swim about 45 lengths in 30 minutes no problem when she was 10 or 11. The saving grace is that she is blessed academically.

As a kid I played football, cricket, table tennis, rugby union and rugby league for school and clubs, and minor rep level in RL and cricket. I couldn't get enough of playing sport when I was young. Then I got interested in girls. It's not as if I was going to be professional or semi pro at any of those sports.

I now get some kind of reflected glory through one of my nephews. All he does is play for a local amateur football team who are pretty bad.

Last edited:
Daughter plays under 11s for reddish North end girls football team. She is actually really talented and without sounding biased is well above average level at that age. Captained her school team to a tournament win at etihad campus few weeks ago. Whether this progresses further as a career would be amazing but at the moment the most important thing is the fitness activity of it all, learning about being part of a team and making friends. Also city mad which make me even prouder!

My 2 sons were very decent football players, both played right wing and played for years.

However my Grandson Jonah who is the grand old age of 6 is absolutely obsessed with footie, he spends hours at weekend scoring goals into the goals he has in the back yard. He watches all the highlight shows on Optus Sports (where the PL is here). And he loves Manchester City especially Haaland :)

Last week his little team won 10 - 2 and he scored all 10 goals.
Obviously I've no idea if his obsession will continue but I've never seen such a little kid be like this.

449035314_1572197403679053_353740704196148550_n (1).jpg

My son plays cricket. He's capt of the second team at his club (played a few 1st XI games as well), who play at a pretty good standard.
Only in his early 20s. He's actually reasonably decent.
He never saw me play, so asks if he's as good as me yet. I avoid giving the answer like a smart politician.
The fact that others say 'your dad was decent player' keeps him on his toes.

Truth is he's on a different level to me. I just never tell him!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.