Arsenal (A) | Community Shield | Post-match Thread

Means fuck all really ( well apart from Arsenal) but why are we constantly so shit at penalties. Ortega was the worst goalkeeper performance I have ever seen in a shoot out, just stood quietly on his line looking about 2 feet tall with token dives. Why not move, jump up and down, wave your arm, clap your gloves, make the goal look smaller and put off the players.
It was so bad I reckon we would have scored 3 from 5 against him and we can’t even take a good penalty.

Might have helped, if he didn’t dive 5 minutes before the penalty taker kicked the ball.

The pressure Arsenal applied at the end started from Odegard playing a ball inside down the right. We don’t have that anymore. It took Akanji to play that pass in the champions league final. Dropped a bollock by not finding a new playmaker.

Pretty reactionary stuff. The pressure they applied at the end came from tiredness with most of the team not fully match fit and having played nearly 120 minutes, imo. Their goal came from a poor shot, that was missing, being deflected in. Shit happens.

Can't really get too disappointed by any of that. Saka had Akanji on toast on their right, but he can do that to most, and Ake and Gvardiol will be better on that side.

We started well until Saka gave them some confidence. We were much better than them when de Bruyne, Foden and Palmer came on, then tired. Palmer did what Mahrez used to do.

Penalties went the way they normally do. Don't care. We will win most games in 90 anyway.

Didn't hear "100 million pound man Rice" one time, btw. Thought he looked average.

BBC United Football - Mediacity.

Arsenal gave their hopes of beating Manchester City to the Premier League title a psychological boost as they defeated Pep Guardiola's side on penalties to win the Community Shield.
Haha , an own goal.in the 11th minute of added time to take it to penalties then I look out of my window and see this :-))))

Thought our crowd were quite today. Were they tourists?
Very much so, never seen a City crowd like it, travelling down from Manchester didn't see 1 coach or mini bus. Stopped at Newport Pagnell saw a few supporters. Very sad, ruined the day for me. Been to Wembley about 30 times over my 70+ plus years, think today's my last.

Today showed the difference in attitude and mentality between arsenal and Manchester City. City although disappointed to not win the game will take the positives and as usual build up slowley before hitting their peak at the business end of the season. Arsenal will let this go to their heads, start the season well then choke at the business end of the season. Nobody ever remembers the charity shield winners and to celebrate like they did shows they have learned nothing from their massive failure last season.

Home now was nice to be back travelling watching the blues... couple of positives thought kev and foden looked sharp when coming on & kovacic looked tidy too.

Negatives: Wembley is a dump & I was sat next to an arsenal fan which made the time from the 101st min to the final penalty an absolute nightmare.

Burnley next come on City

Very much so, never seen a City crowd like it, travelling down from Manchester didn't see 1 coach or mini bus. Stopped at Newport Pagnell saw a few supporters. Very sad, ruined the day for me. Been to Wembley about 30 times over my 70+ plus years, think today's my last.
Take heart that this was mostly down to the boycott.

Future finals at Wembley will hopefully not be like today.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.