Arsenal(A) - Post Match Thread

Thought we were a way off our best but still never in doubt. Just hope we don’t think we can do it all in cruise control though I’m sure Pep will have something to say about any slacking off. Never felt so relaxed watching a game at the Emirates though, what’s happened to arsenal?

My review .... Thought we played well, totally closed them out of the game after their initial excitement and danger to us. We missed a few chances to finish off the game early but we controlled the match quite well.

Now in the style of generic media reports.... Arsenal have a lot of work to do, they were poor, Arsenal made mistakes, city had it easy, - Wait until they face Liverpool.

In the morning you realise how great of a result that was.

Missed 2 instrumental players
We now look to have a strong CB partnership that is young
Mendy 2 assists in what was possibly a bad game for him (never saw enough last year to know)
Sterling playing well on the left
Sterling and Mahrez being able to swap in the game
Mahrez, City players seemed to look for him which shows me they have been impressed in training.
Silva scoring a great goal and his flexibility in moving wide to bring on KDB
Sane on the bench (amazing if we needed a goal)
Clean sheet even if we tried not to.

Of course there could have been issues, but other teams will drop points there this season.

There was some cause for concern, but I'm going to chalk it up to rustiness mostly. Ederson in the 2nd half was shocking with his decision making, but given that he didn't have a pre-season and didn't play any minutes for Brazil, it makes sense that he'd be a little off. 3 months without even a friendly is a lot to jump right back into.

Same with Mendy -- general rust. My biggest concern with him though is his poor change of direction. I feel like if there is one thing I'd love if the trainers did with him, it was just constantly working on him stopping and going the other way quickly. He's got such long legs that he seems to have major difficulty going back the other way once he's stopped and with him bombing forward, he needs to be able to retreat on a dime. We're very luck with Kyle being so incredible at that.

A bit of a nothing performance from Gundogan but that's okay. Thought Fernandinho was excellent minus the one very underhit pass to the wing that was intercepted. Would have liked Foden to come on as that last sub as we seemed to be missing a little in the middle of the park. Another body there would have been a little more beneficial, but I also understand that Sterling was probably not ready for 90 minutes. Sane looks a bit off the pace so probably good to get him a run out all things considered.

We played well but clearly not at our best (but still comfortably beat a top 4 contender). First 2 seasons under Pep we have got off to a slow start performance wise too I seem to remember, but still got results.
It would be nice to peak after Christmas this year and give ourselves a proper shot at the big one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.