Arsenal (H) - Wed 26th April, 20:00 | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Walker was fit when Rico was getting starts in January. The truth is we were poor with Rico vs Spurs, Arsenal (FA Cup) and Spurs away (where he played LB). Upturn in form came only after Rico was benched.

Speaks volumes Pep went with Gomez vs SU.

Pep is not afraid of making experiments, not all are successful. Rico is a top talent, but not ready yet.
Gomez was getting minutes here and there ahead of Rico for a couple of months now (5vs2 since the end of Feb). Too many people were acting like he was ready right after he turned 18 to play in the best side in the world. There is a handful of players in the world who could do that. He looked the part but was targeted a lot in attack, for a good reason, too. Top talent, but not ready to be 1st choice by any means. When Pep says he looks like little Lahm, he means one day in the future, after he puts years of work into his game to motivate him. Rico is a local lad, so people want to see him succeed and look at him through a set of blue-tinted glasses. If he continues his progress, his time will come sooner rather than later.

Ake is injured so Laporte LB but they've got Saka who can kill players in 1v1's. I think Laporte can still do a decent job vs Saka tbh. Plus , Laporte is better on the ball than Ake.

Laporte played LB against Salah in one of the biggest games and wins under Pep - the 2:1win vs Liverpool in 2019.

Our defence back then was experimental due to injuries (Danilo at RB and Laporte at LB), and KDB wasn't available either. We won, though.

Laporte, if he plays, will need help vs Saka. Pep will have a plan.

You know those anti-climactic performances we always have away vs Spuds, we never get going. Thats how Arsenal play at the Etihad, whether they come in red-hot form or dissarray they wont get out of 2nd gear.

Bayern are the best team to come to the Etihad since Pool in 19, truth be told Erling and Gundo missed big chances, the game should have been over before in the 1st half. If we did that to Bayern, Arsenal dont have a chance, if Arteta is smart he'll play a double-pivot to protect those two bozos in CB and play for a draw, wont work though, they're getting battered.
I don't think Bayern are that great this season tbh, they just lost their top spot to Dortmund as well. But we did the same thing to Bayern that we did away to Arsenal, and its something we have never done previously under Pep, give up possession and be ruthless. Maybe that's the new way in these big games?

Key game, no doubt. Saka is a concern, but so too are Odegarrd, Martinelli and Jesus if we let them have the ball too much. I trust our midfield to nullify that for large parts of the game.

Zinchenko is an interesting one. He'll push on and, at least when he was with us, he's not actually as press resistant as many of the other city team, so can be tackled in a couple of ways - stick a player out wide or put someone tenacious on him. We have both options, be interested to see what Pep goes with.

I do fancy us though. From five chances created, I can see our defense squishing out most, but I don't see them stopping Haaland and co in quite the same way. Hope I'm proved right.
That's why Bernardo will play out wide, he will stop Zinchenko getting easy ball and make him defend more, which he isn't as comfortable with.

Yes, I doubt we are going to win all PL games. We are playing every 3-4 days now! It's impossible to start the same 11-14 players every 3 days. Otherwise, we'll suffer injuries and fatigue

Yeah 9 games in May lol. I think we'll draw vs Madrid in 1st leg and then draw vs Everton in the next game as well.

My thoughts on Arsenal game:-

Lineup:

Ederson
Stones Akanji Dias Laporte
Rodri Gundogan
Bernardo KDB Grealish
Haaland

Ake is injured so Laporte LB but they've got Saka who can kill players in 1v1's. I think Laporte can still do a decent job vs Saka tbh. Plus , Laporte is better on the ball than Ake.

Bernardo RW and isolate him with Zinchenko whom he can kill in 1v1's.

In the last encounter we were technically inconsistent in the 1st half but brilliant in the 2nd. Saliba and Xhaka (doubtful) are out so I think we'll comfortably control the game and win it.
Surely Akanji will be right back and Stones center back? That's how we played against Bayern...

My thoughts on Arsenal game:-

Lineup:

Ederson
Stones Akanji Dias Laporte
Rodri Gundogan
Bernardo KDB Grealish
Haaland

Bernardo RW and isolate him with Zinchenko whom he can kill in 1v1's.

In the last encounter we were technically inconsistent in the 1st half but brilliant in the 2nd. Saliba and Xhaka (doubtful) are out so I think we'll comfortably control the game and win it.
I like the lineup although Stones vs Martinelli would be a bit of a worry.

Maybe swap Akanji and Stones as Akanji's pace and strength may match up better vs Martinelli?

I like the lineup although Stones vs Martinelli would be a bit of a worry.

Maybe swap Akanji and Stones as Akanji's pace and strength may match up better vs Martinelli?
Nah mate Stones is a much better option vs Martinelli. Akanji gets cooked in duels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.