Arsenal "invincibles" or Chelsea 04-05?

• Thread starter Deleted member 14625
  • Start date
Agree with you about Shearer. Not on Viera or Bergkamp. They would do just fine. They'd adapt to modern demands. I don't think Shearer could.

They are great players. But I wrote "without current physical and tactical preparation". Bergamp was a fantastic player, but I doubt he can do 60% of the running and pressing that Foden does (if Bergkamp is not trained sufficiently long to do so).

The point is, there are many fans who do not realise how much football has changed. I've talked to deluded United fans who think their 2008 team could win the title now. No, it would be trashed by the likes of Brighton.

They are great players. But I wrote "without current physical and tactical preparation". Bergamp was a fantastic player, but I doubt he can do 60% of the running and pressing that Foden does (if Bergkamp is not trained sufficiently long to do so).

The point is, there are many fans who do not realise how much football has changed. I've talked to deluded United fans who think their 2008 team could win the title now. No, it would be trashed by the likes of Brighton.
Bergkamp would remain fit due to all the European games he missed out on by refusing to fly. Be lucky to get out of the country via road and rail these days! :-)

If you think the 2008 united team would be thrashed by Brighton you are absolutely piping crack rocks. That is absolutely one of the most delusional things I've ever read on here.

If you think the 2008 united team would be thrashed by Brighton you are absolutely piping crack rocks. That is absolutely one of the most delusional things I've ever read on here.

Do you understand what I wrote or you are illustrating the point I made? Like being totally clueless about how much football has changed in terms of intensity, ability to withstand press, tactics, etc.?

Do you understand what I wrote or you are illustrating the point I made? Like being totally clueless about how much football has changed in terms of intensity, ability to withstand press, tactics, etc.?

Nobody on that 2008 united team would have been out of place in modern football. Teams still play like they did now. I don't really want to write a post waxing lyrical about a team of rags but they were very good on their day, I've no idea how we managed to do the double over them that season.

Ferdinand was a fantastic ball playing centre half and Carrick a very modern sort of defensive midfielder. Imagine Van der Hecke and Jason Steele playing it out of the back with bloody Rooney and Tevez haring down on them.

Come on mate, I see your general point but great sides are great sides. There was a video posted on here from 1970's showing Brazil scoring a typical Pep Guardiola City goal. They would beat the 2008 Brighton team easily I'll give you that.

Nobody on that 2008 united team would have been out of place in modern football. Teams still play like they did now. I don't really want to write a post waxing lyrical about a team of rags but they were very good on their day, I've no idea how we managed to do the double over them that season.

Ferdinand was a fantastic ball playing centre half and Carrick a very modern sort of defensive midfielder. Imagine Van der Hecke and Jason Steele playing it out of the back with bloody Rooney and Tevez haring down on them.

Come on mate, I see your general point but great sides are great sides. There was a video posted on here from 1970's showing Brazil scoring a typical Pep Guardiola City goal. They would beat the 2008 Brighton team easily I'll give you that.

2008 might be pushing it, but I assume the point would be that you drop the 2008 team into the future, not that you take the same players and train them 2024 style. I still think United 2008 would struggle, although it's getting closer to today's football.

You wouldn't have to go back much further for the differences to be really apparent. Peter Schmeichel laughed when it was suggested United's 1999 treble team could compete with City 2023.

Brazil 1970 on the other hand would be a bit like that Harry Enfield sketch, with 1991 Liverpool v 1933 Arsenal. A top modern team would absolutely destroy Brazil. The only reason they could score Pep like goals in 1970, is because they would be given huge amounts of time on the ball. They'd struggle to get a touch against a fast, skilful team from 2024.

I get people struggle to see that football changed a lot but it really has mate. Relative to their times, United and Brighton can't be compared. United won the CL in 2008, they had a great team. But football changed in objectively measurable ways, like number of sprints, intensity of pressing and counter pressing, playing the ball from the back and withstanding pressing, and many such things. United 08 would struggle to get the ball back from Brighton, the level of pressing back then was much worse than it is now. There were stats about the changes in intensity over the last decade and they were really big.

The comparison with Brazil 70 is a bit lame. They were fantastic relative to their time but the players ran about 6 km (Rodri averages 12 km now) and the number of sprints was far lower than it is now. Current PL players would look like superhuman athletes compared to them. Ultimately, football is a sport and physicality in terms of distance covered and sprints matters a lot.

17/18 season the dippers beat us 4-3 in January. We only lost one more game that season vs rags in April. That game still makes my piss boil even to this day.

In the 11/12 season we got to December undefeated before losing to Chelsea 2-1 at Stamford Bridge
And we probably wouldn't have lost at the Bridge had Clattenberg? given a penalty when Spanish Dave was fouled in the box while we were one up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.