Arsenal "invincibles" or Chelsea 04-05?

• Thread starter Deleted member 14625
  • Start date
10 teams have won the premier league with more points than the invincibles.
City have beat the 90 points total 4 times under Pep.
The dippers have beaten it twice coming second to City.
Overhyped cunts.

10 teams have won the premier league with more points than the invincibles.
City have beat the 90 points total 4 times under Pep.
The dippers have beaten it twice coming second to City.
Overhyped cunts.
Arsenal got 1 less point than the Invincibles last season but the Invincibles would absolutely ragdoll the current Arsenal side. Only Saliba from the current crop gets into the Invincibles team.

Depends what you're up against when it comes to getting the points. Regardless, remaining unbeaten is the achievement we are talking about, not the overall points total. Hitting 100 points is another amazing achievement, it's just a different achievement.

Arsenal lost zero games that season, not 6. Hence the name 'Invincibles'. We can carve out metrics all we want to fit the narrative we want but remaining unbeaten in the league has been done only once hence it remains as a unique achievement. Whether it's 'better' than 100 points or whatever is open to debate and we are hardly going to get an unbiased discourse between Arsenal and City fans on it!

And I maintain that the invincibles side had some all time great players in it. As an example what City/Rags/Chelsea team does Thierry Henry not get into? None.

Re winning European trophies - there's a lot more of a lottery about that compared to the League. For all their dominance City have only one CL - they've gone out (usually to Madrid) on a couple of occasions despite being the dominant team and that just shows how anything can happen in knockout football whereas over the course of an entire league season the cream will rise to the top. As an example Arsenal got to the CL final and had their keeper sent off within 18 minutes. Cups have a lot more volatility about them.

Failure of comprehension that response. It's obvious I'm talking about all competitions. Arsenal lost 6 games in that 03/04 season.

The task in a league season is to win most points, not to avoid a defeat. Technically, a team can go down without losing a game. It's an overrated achievement. Leverkusen just did it, while doing better in other competitions than Arsenal's Invincibles.

Arsenal got 1 less point than the Invincibles last season but the Invincibles would absolutely ragdoll the current Arsenal side. Depends what you're up against when it comes to getting the points. Regardless, remaining unbeaten is the achievement we are talking about, not the overall points total. Hitting 100 points is another amazing achievement, it's just a different achievement.

Football changed a lot in the last 20 years. You are talking complete shit now. Arsenal's Invincibles would look bad vs current Brighton. If you meant hat the players were better relative to their time, you are probably right. But the PL wasn't the best league back then. And Arsenal were shit in the CL.

Failure of comprehension that response. It's obvious I'm talking about all competitions. Arsenal lost 6 games in that 03/04 season.

The task in a league season is to win most points, not to avoid a defeat. Technically, a team can go down without losing a game. It's an overrated achievement. Leverkusen just did it, while doing better in other competitions than Arsenal's Invincibles.
Re Leverkusen - different league, different opposition.

Celtic once got 106 points in a season. I'm very confident though that the City centurions side would absolutely batter the Celtic centurions.

Football changed a lot in the last 20 years. You are talking complete shit now. Arsenal's Invincibles would look bad vs current Brighton. If you meant hat the players were better relative to their time, you are probably right. But the PL wasn't the best league back then. And Arsenal were shit in the CL.
They were better in the Champions league than what I remember then.

Well naturally I wasn't expecting complete impartiality on a City forum for obvious reasons but recency bias is definitely a thing.

Like I said, some of the all time great PL players in that Invincibles side who'd get into a 'Best ever PL XI'.

By your reckoning peak Alan Shearer wouldn't score as many goals in the current City side as Haaland because football has moved on? I'll tell you now he absolutely would.

Re Leverkusen - different league, different opposition.

Celtic once got 106 points in a season. I'm very confident though that the City centurions side would absolutely batter the Celtic centurions.

Germany's league is top. Bayern just beat you, Dortmund reached the CL final, Leverkusen played in a final, too. Relative to their times, current Bundesliga isn't worse than the PL in 2003/04.

Well naturally I wasn't expecting complete impartiality on a City forum for obvious reasons but recency bias is definitely a thing.

Like I said, some of the all time great PL players in that Invincibles side who'd get into a 'Best ever PL XI'.

By your reckoning peak Alan Shearer wouldn't score as many goals in the current City side as Haaland because football has moved on? I'll tell you now he absolutely would.

If you take Shearer from his best days, without current physical and tactical preparation, he would be out of his depth in current football. Same with Viera or Bergkamp. They were outstanding players then.

And again, what did Arsenal do in the CL with those multiple great players? How many semis, finals and cups?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.