Arsenal or Tottenham? And other local rivalries.

In the pub or on long train journeys the topic has often come up "which of these local rivals do you prefer (or dislike least)?" With some it's easy to choose: Everton not L'pool, Sunderland not Newcastle, Sheffield Wednesday (blue) not Sheff Utd. But between Arsenal and Spurs it's a lot harder. If you HAD to pick one, who'd it be? The arrogant Tarquins who've grown even more dislikeable under Arteta in the past year, or Tottingham going back to 1981?

More generally, do folk have preferences, however peculiar or irrational, between, say, Norwich & Ipswich? Southampton & Portsmouth? Derby County & Notts Forest? Swansea & Cardiff? I'm not getting into Scottish rivalries but further afield is it Roma or Lazio? Benfica or Sporting? River Plate or Boca?
Arsenal, Norwich, Southampton, Forest, Swansea, Lazio, Sporting, River. Easy.

Oxford over Swindon, as my cousin is a season ticket holder and I’ve been to many Oxford games over the years.

Norwich over Ipswich as my mum lives in Norfolk.

Forest over Derby as I went to uni in Nottingham.

I don’t like any London club, though if pressed I’d have to say Arsenal as one of my grandads was a Londoner and Arsenal fan.

I hate both Liverpool and Everton, and obviously the rag shit who fall somewhere between racists and Russians in my hatred scale.

I remember that day well. Coachload of them rolled up at the Railway in Openshaw for a pre-match session. They couldn't believe how cheap a pint of Holts lager was compared to darn sarf. They couldnt get enough down them & one of them told me the savings on the drink covered the cost of his coach fare. A right crew, but they were a goid set of lads with no hint of bother. I doubt though that any if them could see the game by the time they left. Probably a good thing considering the result.
Ha, before Weatherspoon's there were Holt's pubs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.