Arsenal or Tottenham? And other local rivalries.

It's funny how I know all these names from years of listening to James Alexander Gordon on Saturday afternoons, many years ago. It was a much loved ritual. And I used to listen to it right through the four divisions of the English league and then on into the Scottish one.
Before looking them up just now, couldn't possibly have told you which league/division Stenhousemuir or East Stirlingshire were in, but I'd definitely heard of them through that BBC source. Just like Hamilton Academical and Airdieonians. (I've always liked those two names, can't explain why… quite fond of Queen of the South, too). You've got more poetry in your club names than we have.
Just looked up where your teams are standing. Well, no-one can accuse you of being a glory hunter! Falkirk FC are actually doing quite well in Scottish League One (as I'm sure you know)… Not tempted at all?
I have been to see Falkirk in 2 Scottish Cup finals against Rangers and Inverness but that's about it unless they are playing Hearts.

Young Boys Berne over Grasshoppers Zurich. Not sure which club has the most ridiculous name, but I feel the first just about edges it.

Manchester United.

I mean, imagine naming your team after the City down the road from the one you’re actually based in. Seems really confusing to me.

In London QPR, Watford, in Manchester there is only one.

Torino on the continent, can't be bothered with the cartel clubs, or fascists, or anything Caledonian due to sectarian shite. Dynamo Kiev deserve respect always for the Death Match.

In south America Botafogo, Boca Juniors and Deportivo Wanka, naturally!

Despise spuds, Tarquin FC, stretford, the slaughterers, Ipswich tractor botherers, vile, Luton (!)

Really enjoy the views from most other fans, specially the Owls and Bantams chaps who post on here. Also the lower tier clubs we've played on cup runs.

As I detest Spurs more than all but three other teams, it is no contest, though Arsenal are not very high up on my list of likeable clubs.

Another rivalry that hasn’t been mentioned is Exeter City and Plymouth Argyle, who absolutely loathe each other.

I prefer Exeter because a mate - Tony Kellow - used to play for them. The first professional football match I ever saw was Exeter's 4th round replay victory over Leicester in 1981, in which Tony scored a hat-trick:

Today I realised that 1981 was a million years ago.

Today I realised that 1981 was a million years ago.

Personally, it's never been my reason for disliking them. If you disliked everyone who'd beaten your team, you'd end up hating a good proportion of the entire Football League.
As I've always said, hating properly requires energy. I've only got so much. Enough for the rags and dippers — I seem to have a nuclear power station for them two — and then a good few röntgens left over for Spurs.
The others, in their vast majority, I'm indifferent to. Those clubs I like tend to be on the basis of knowing, or having known, good lads who were genuine supporters, and who I could talk about football to in an informed and balanced way. There aren't many.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.