Arsenal thread 2012/13

more lazy than useless

Arsenal's new signing, Olivier Giroud, doesn't sound very 'Arsenal' to me. According to the article on BBC website http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18592650 he's physical and good in the air, but even if he is, have they got the set-up (never mind the mentality) to get the best out of him? Not seen him play so don't know much about him.

If RVP leaves it will be Giroud and/or Podolski up front. Podolski is 27 so should be at about his peak, but hasn't exactly set the world alight at club level (not saying he doesn't have potential). Giroud is 25 and that seems old enough to be making it to the top. If its 2 up front (even if RVP stays) wouldn't that mean big changes to the way Arsenal midfield works?

I'm don't quite see how this all adds up. Anybody any ideas? Having not seen Giroud or Podalski at club level I could just be missing something obvious.

Also saw (can't recall where) that Arsenal have cooled on Yann M'Vila 'cos he had a falling out with Lauren Blanc. Could just be typical media 2+2= whatever number we need today.

As this is about the upcoming season I thought it should have a new thread. I hope I don't get hunted down by the mods for not tagging it on the old Arsenal thread!

Personally, I think there's still a chance of Arsenal keeping hold of RVP.

I don't think they will want to throw Giroud into the deep end straight away if RVP goes by needing him to start every game. However, from the few snippets I have seen of him, particularly for France, his link up play is very underrated.

He is more than capable of slick, one-touch passing and as you've mentioned, he adds another dimension which, Arsenal have lacked for years, in physical presence and good aerial ability.

I'd imagine them to line up similar to what they did last year and if they can go on to secure the M'Vila transfer, they will be a better team all round than last season.

Possible XI

_______________________Szczecny________________________

____Sagna_________Koscielny____Vermaelen________Gibbs____

___________________Song_____Wilshere/M'Vila_______________

___Walcott_______________Arteta_______________Podolski____

_______________________RVP/Giroud________________________

girouds a 6 foot 3 machine! Havent seen a lot of him but you have to be doing something right to take Montpellier to the title

If they lose RVP and unless Giroud and Podolski set the PL a light, I cannot see them challenging for the title. They will still be a force however.

I'd be content with closing the gap on the Manchester clubs(which should mean certain Top 4), a good run in Europe, and WIN A BLOODY CUP.

One positive from the signings so far is that we might actually have some depth and then can juggle cups better, one major disappointment of these trophyless years has been our limp performances in cups, almost not taking them totally seriously at times. I think Wenger has been under huge pressure to meet the financial targets set out by the club and sadly league performances + Champions League performance brings in more cash than domestic cups. He used to love the FA Cup back in the day.

jlc09 said:
I'd be content with closing the gap on the Manchester clubs(which should mean certain Top 4), a good run in Europe, and WIN A BLOODY CUP.

One positive from the signings so far is that we might actually have some depth and then can juggle cups better, one major disappointment of these trophyless years has been our limp performances in cups, almost not taking them totally seriously at times. I think Wenger has been under huge pressure to meet the financial targets set out by the club and sadly league performances + Champions League performance brings in more cash than domestic cups. He used to love the FA Cup back in the day.

Talking of Arsenal's depth, what is the sp with Wallcott? I thought his contract ran out the same time as RVP? Has he signed a new one, is he likely to and do you want to keep him?

if I was Arsenal, I'd look to ship him out seen as though he hasn't improved much in the last 6yrs!!

Theo's contract does run out next Summer aswell, talks scheduled for after the Euro's so I'm guessing he'll be off on holidays for a bit and then return to discuss terms. I have a feeling Theo will look closely at the RVP situation as those two are friends and have some decent chemistry on the field.....and I have a feeling he'd be tempted by another club, but the reality is that to step up from us in England he would need offers from United, City or Chelsea......haha, not sure I see that happening.

He's a very limited player, good for 10+ goals a season and a good number of assists but his overall game is pretty average, looks like he's falling over the ball half the time!! He's reasonably effective for us but holds us back just as much, if that makes any sense.

I probably would rather keep him unless we are getting a definite upgrade, and with Arsenal, that's rarely the case. Chamberlain will be better in time but he's too raw right now.

Give us 20m and I'll drive him to Manchester? LOL

jlc09 said:
Theo's contract does run out next Summer aswell, talks scheduled for after the Euro's so I'm guessing he'll be off on holidays for a bit and then return to discuss terms. I have a feeling Theo will look closely at the RVP situation as those two are friends and have some decent chemistry on the field.....and I have a feeling he'd be tempted by another club, but the reality is that to step up from us in England he would need offers from United, City or Chelsea......haha, not sure I see that happening.

He's a very limited player, good for 10+ goals a season and a good number of assists but his overall game is pretty average, looks like he's falling over the ball half the time!! He's reasonably effective for us but holds us back just as much, if that makes any sense.

I probably would rather keep him unless we are getting a definite upgrade, and with Arsenal, that's rarely the case. Chamberlain will be better in time but he's too raw right now.

I hope you are talking Lira!!!

Arsenal look to have a strong first team but I'm not sure how much depth they have - don't follow them closely. They've got Gervinho who I think was a bit of a disappointment but apart from Rosicky most of their backups are kids?

Gibbs as LB looks a weak link and I don't think they have any backup behind him?

As long as Giroud and Podolski fire they should be fine and they don't get some long-term injuries to key players. I fully expect them to be in the mix for top 4 and probably a cup. I doubt they will have another start like last season........

jlc09 said:

XirUk.gif

Our friend Theo; play for City? Er, no thanks!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.