Arsenal Thread | 2024/25

I was intrigued by comments on the TV coverage that Arsenal's '23-24 season was their best ever after the Invincibles in that they got more points, won more matches, scored more goals etc. There may have been other stats but it was difficult to hear! This inspired me to see how Arsenal's record last season compared to other clubs' records, especially City's, since Pep arrived at the Etihad. It is hardly surprising that their 89 points would have got them in the the top 4 in each of the seasons since 2016 but 89 points would have won them only one PL title - that of 2020/21 in a season played largely behind closed doors or in front of very small crowds. The Invincibles would have won only one more title but would have lost all others since Leicester's title comfortably.

The point of this is not to argue that Arsenal are not a very good team or that they lack "the winning mentality" or to justify any other football cliche but simply to show that for most of the last decade winning the PL takes not a good team and manager but an exceptional one. United haven't won it in a decade, Liverpool have won it only once in its entire history, Chelsea haven't won it since 2015. Spurs have never won it! And Arsenal haven't won it for 20 years. The main reason for this is the presence in the PL over the years of many/most of the top coaches in Europe and South America, most notably, of course, Pep Guardiola. I am cocky enough to believe that Arsenal winning the title this year has comparatively little to do with Arsenal. If City perform as Pep wants them to City will be champions again: if City let their standards drop then Arsenal have a great chance.

Have these tarquin cunts blamed City yet for there dropped points and Rice sending off.
Lots online are saying decisions like this only happen as Howard Webb sends his referees to Saudi Arabia and Dubai for jollys so because of this the league make sure City win.
This kind of thing happens every year, referees clamp down on certain things harsher than they used to at the start of the season, the rules bite a red shirt team on the arse and then their fans, either online, in the pundits booth or their client journalists, make a big deal of how hard done to they are and how "this isn't what fans want to see" and the rules are quietly dropped. All because a red shirt team had to play to the same rules as everyone else.

Just seen that thing that Rice got a second yellow for. My life that is soft. After reading comments on the other thread I thought he'd hoofed it away......if Rodri gets a second yellow for that at our gaff this place would go fucking mental. The conspiracy thread would have 100 pages added.
He was also obstructing the free kick, so a straight yellow for that or flicking the ball away

Arteta amd tarquins are concentrating on the flick away, but obstruction is the bigger offence and so not harsh at all.

maxresdefault.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.