Arsenal V Barcelona

Failsworth_Blue said:
Barca are exceptional at home but they've not found it easy in some games, drawing with Villareal and only beating the likes of Almeria, Getafe and Malaga by the odd goal

Arsenal won't find it easy but Barca are missing their two best centre halfs and haven't done well agaisnt English teams at the Nou Camp recently

Arsenal do have to go there and score though, the likes of Almeria etc can go there with a view to sitting in their own half and kicking the crap out of any Barca players who gets near the goal.

it was an awesome game and Barca should be going back to Spain with at least a 3 goal lead, but Arsenal did well to get something and give them a slight hope of getting through (cant see it though)

By the way, Xavi is an absolutely unbelievable player, easily one of the best in the world, he was just class!

Failsworth_Blue said:
mcfc_die_hard said:
Anyone who thinks arsenal has the slightest chance of going through are mental.

No fabregas for the next leg and at the nou camp! Barca will put about 5 past them and that isnt an exaderation. Xavi was mad after the game and he said it could have been a 6-2 game to them. Arsenal wont be able to get into barca's half in the return leg, messi will come to life at home aswell.

Also messi wasnt as lively as he usually was but the fact arsenal put so much effort into stopping messi they allowed Xavi to dictate the game.

The return leg could be messy and i mean big score messy!

I don't think they'll go through but you are going over the top. Barca have only scored 5 in two home games this season so it's daft to suggest they'll easily score about that amount against a good Arsenal team. Barca are exceptional at home but they've not found it easy in some games, drawing with Villareal and only beating the likes of Almeria, Getafe and Malaga by the odd goal

Arsenal won't find it easy but Barca are missing their two best centre halfs and haven't done well agaisnt English teams at the Nou Camp recently

And Russian teams.

-- Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:03 am --

mcfc_nick said:
it was an awesome game and Barca should be going back to Spain with at least a 3 goal lead, but Arsenal did well to get something and give them a slight hope of getting through (cant see it though)

By the way, Xavi is an absolutely unbelievable player, easily one of the best in the world, he was just class!

Imagine if Iniesta had of been there!

OMG 271 passes complete in first half compared do Arsenals 91!

Still not 100% convinced by Alves though. Reminds me very much of Glen Johnston. Makes so many forays forward that he sometimes isn't quick enough to track back and leaves Puyol to cover for him.

But I would imagine Guardiola knows a damn sight more than I do!!

KentBlue said:
Still not 100% convinced by Alves though. Reminds me very much of Glen Johnston. Makes so many forays forward that he sometimes isn't quick enough to track back and leaves Puyol to cover for him.

mate, the guy is a machine. in the last minute he was still bombing down the wing trying to create something, he is an awesome right back imo

KentBlue said:

Alves is a very good player and usually helps out big time because when he runs down the right he drags the left back with him which leaves a massive gap for messi to run into

mcfc_die_hard said:
Failsworth_Blue said:
I don't think they'll go through but you are going over the top. Barca have only scored 5 in two home games this season so it's daft to suggest they'll easily score about that amount against a good Arsenal team. Barca are exceptional at home but they've not found it easy in some games, drawing with Villareal and only beating the likes of Almeria, Getafe and Malaga by the odd goal

Milito is top class and Toure will fit in at center half no probs, and the teams that they have only beaten by the odd goal at home is because of the style of football they play. last night showed that they arsenal play their football suits barca and on another night it could have been 10-2

Barca will destroy them from start to finish and the nou camps pitch is much bigger than arsenals and therefore they will just tire arsenal out, it could be embarresing.

i think arsenals playing surface is actually bigger than the nou camps...if this info is correct.

emirates..113m length.....76m width
nou camo...105m length....;72m width

bye the way whilst looking for pitch sizes i noticed Barca have had five English managers in there history

I would like to make a few comments about the wonderful game last night.

Firstly, I have never watched a more one-sided match in my life, if the match finished 12-0 it would not have done Barca justice, they were that good. I find it hard not to believe that we are witnessing one of the greatest club sides in the history of modern football. Guardiola really is the true heir to Cruyff, this is total football at its best, out passed, out-thought and downright out played Arsenal in their own back yard!

Also, some people mentioned how they though Messi was anonymous. A lot of people on this forum seem to think that unless you score a hat-trick every game (or play in England) you are crap. Hence, a lot of the ridiculous comments over the past few months about Kaka, Benzema, Ribery, Ibra, Villa being rubbish! The first three players have had serious injury problems this year and therefore have definitely been below their imperious best this season but to dismiss them as overrated is beyond foolish. Messi, linked up the play really well last night, particularly in the first half where he was drawing in players, gliding past them and opening up spaces for team mates. One of the main differences between Rooney, Ronaldo and Messi, is that when the former two do not score they do not contribute that much (bar the odd assist), whereas Messi’s all round game is exceptional, he does not have to score to have an important influence on the game. I am not saying this was his best ever game (Arsenal marked him closely, there were 3 players on him at times, yet he still kept hold of the ball), but to say he was poor is not accurate.

Dani Alves, is an incredible full-back but he too has had a long-term injury and therefore has not been at his best in the last few games, though the guy is always a threat going forward, you could tell he still was not on the same wavelength as his team-mates.

In addition, some of you have commented on how well Xavi played. Bearing in mind that he was an injury doubt coming into the match he was exceptional. I would also like to point out that Xavi is a defensive midfield player. A point I have been trying to get across for some time now is that even though your main job might be to break up play, you should be able to link up with the attack and create, not immediately pass the ball back to the goalkeeper or give it straight to the opposition while attempting a simple 3 yard pass (yes this is a dig at de Jong!). Also, Barca were missing their most influential midfield player last night through injury. Guardiola famously said about Iniesta when talking to Xavi, “you are going to retire me…this kid will retire us all.” If it was not for the genius of Messi, Iniesta would undoubtedly be the star of the team and the fact that Barca could play like they did last night without him speaks volumes about how great that side is. There is a reason why Fabregas (rightly considered the finest midfield player in the Premiership) cannot get into the Spanish first team.

Now, about the comments regarding City play like this. Firstly, *insane laughter,* but in all seriousness it might be possible (but not for a very long time). It is made clear to the Barca youth that FC Barcelona is "Més que un club" (More than a club) it is an identity. The footballing message is also clear "receive, pass, offer, receive, pass, offer." It will be almost impossible to replicate this in England (completely different coaching style, i.e. ‘hoof it up to the big man up front’) but the only way I feel it can be done is to hire Johan Cruyff as Director of Football with immediate effect. Give the guy complete control over the youth academy, scouting network and the style of football we play and he will create ‘La Machester Masia.’ It will take at least 10 years for the fruits of his labour to be seen, but it will completely revolutionise City and English football. Just the thought of this has me salivating in anticipation already!

last night told us one thing, even with all our money there were players on that pitch that we could never get anywhere near.

not for some time yet anyway.

really enjoyed that...the beautiful game in all its glory

barca were awesome but walcott coming on changed the game and the goal came and gave the arse the impetus they needed

arse have no chance of going through though imo

great reception for Henry too

lets hope barca or Bayern win the trophy ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.