Arsenal v City (Community Shield) Post Match Thread

I expected to concede a few today because of our defence but I thought we should have seen something more exciting going forward with some of the attacking players we had on show.

I suppose it was only a glorified friendly but I was disappointed with our attitude in which we approached the game today because on the whole it looked like we didn't want to be there.

I think the only major worry would be out fitness levels, I thought compared to Arsenal we were way off which I thought was surprising because we played 6 friendlies to their 3, two of which came in the space of two days last weekend at their own stadium. Maybe touring America took a bit too much out of our boys?

Just back to North Yorkshire after a long day, lads looked after us at Wealdstone again before parking over at Rayners Lane. Decent day out except for the result, good support by those who turned up, shame about the 10000 empty seats but to be honest you can't blame some fans for giving it a miss, it is an expensive day out, good day with the Arsenal fans didn't see any trouble and lots of kids there for both clubs. Not a great result or performance but we all know it will be different next week and the next 9months.

sam-caddick said:
I expected to concede a few today because of our defence but I thought we should have seen something more exciting going forward with some of the attacking players we had on show.

I suppose it was only a glorified friendly but I was disappointed with our attitude in which we approached the game today because on the whole it looked like we didn't want to be there.

I think the only major worry would be out fitness levels, I thought compared to Arsenal we were way off which I thought was surprising because we played 6 friendlies to their 3, two of which came in the space of two days last weekend at their own stadium. Maybe touring America took a bit too much out of our boys?

Look who's been playing in those friendlies. Jovetic is the only one who's had serious time. Yaya, Silva etc had very little time.

kun said:
simon23 said:
again it disproves the idea that we have quality in depth

boyata and nastasic were poor

clichy can be partly forgiven as he was playing way out of position...kolorov on the other hand seems to be immune from criticism but as a defender he is a liability

dzeko was again largely missing as he sometimes does

Cabellero- thought he looked ok pre season tour but thought he should have done better with the first goal (If that had been Hart people would have criticised)

milner and navas were average as is often the case

hopefully mangala will give us that strength in depth at centre half

same with sagna at rb

we badly missed the energy of ferd today

on the upside jovetic looked good as did silva in the second half and richards managed to stay on the pitch (even though he was only on for a little while its still an acheivment!!!)

Boyata's fifth choice at the moment, with 1 more to come in. Should never have to play an important game for us next season.

Kolarov was our only attacking threat in the first half, never been great defensively. But he is what he is.

Dzeko does go missing on occasion, but no team in England (or most of Europe) have the strength in depth up top as us: Aguero, Negredo, Dzeko and Jovetic.

Not much Caballero could have done with any of the goals, you're just looking to pick holes.

Navas was OK, Milner looked quite sharp IMO. They had off days, but for backups they are top notch.

boyata is 5th choice but nast is forth and he was very average as well...so that leaves us with Kompany (best CH in the world imho, MdM who improved vastly in the second half of last season but unless he is next to kompany he will get exposed.....mangala is inexperienced and unproven in the prem league (nd not even our player yet!)...basically if kompany is not there any of our other centre half pairings are significantly weaker

Kolorov's primary function is to defend - and unfortunately its his big weakness and even in a fully fit back 4 he is the weak link

dzeko goes missing and so did negrado for the whole second half of the season and he didnt look like finding his scoring touch in pre season either (plus he is out for 3 months and with Kuns unfortunate injury record recently that leaves us with the pair we had today...jovetic as i said was a huge plus but we cannt aford to carry dzeko especially at the start of the season...we need his to perform like he did at the end of last season and there is a huge question mark over his attitude for me

milner is a workhorse - nothing more

Didsbury Dave said:
simon23 said:
again it disproves the idea that we have quality in depth

boyata and nastasic were poor

clichy can be partly forgiven as he was playing way out of position...kolorov on the other hand seems to be immune from criticism but as a defender he is a liability

dzeko was again largely missing as he sometimes does

Cabellero- thought he looked ok pre season tour but thought he should have done better with the first goal (If that had been Hart people would have criticised)

milner and navas were average as is often the case

hopefully mangala will give us that strength in depth at centre half

same with sagna at rb

we badly missed the energy of ferd today

on the upside jovetic looked good as did silva in the second half and richards managed to stay on the pitch (even though he was only on for a little while its still an acheivment!!!)

There is not a team in world football who's reserves are as good as their first team. There never has been and never will be.

You go amd ask every other premier league manager whether we have strength in depth.

so you agree that we do lack strength in depth then!

lets not cloud the reality here as well......we had a number of first teamers on there as well today but take kompany and zabba and silva out (first half) and we look well below par...yes every team in the world would miss them but not every team would suffer such a fall in level as we do when missing those 3

de niro said:
Bluemanc100 said:
Just got home in Stafford

That's the last time I drive to the smoke for a friendly, load of shit

just got in and said the same thing. last community shield for me. midlands yes, london no thanks.
Didn't go due to finances, but after watching glad I didn't , done the last 6 wembley trips but would have been pissed of to have travelled all that way to see a second rate performance like that. Love the blues like you wouldn't believe, and all I ask ever is that they put a shift in, didn't see that today and I hope the attitude changes before Sunday.

de niro said:
Bluemanc100 said:
Just got home in Stafford

That's the last time I drive to the smoke for a friendly, load of shit

just got in and said the same thing. last community shield for me. midlands yes, london no thanks.
you love wembley

Only said to my lad tonight, I'f we win the league this year they'll be even less fans at the C.S.

MCFC are not helping. Free travel next year if they are bothered.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.