Arsenal v City Pre Match Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gareth Barry believes it’s time for City to end the 37-year wait for a league win at Arsenal on Sunday, but admits the Blues will have to be at their best to leave North London with all three points

Though City beat Arsenal away in the Carling Cup two seasons ago, you have to go back to October 1975 to find the last league victory when Tony Book’s side won 3-2 at Highbury and the Blues haven’t even scored a league goal at Arsenal for almost six years.

“I wasn’t aware it had been so long,” said Barry. “Football is like that sometimes but 37 years is extraordinary and records like that are rare but there to be broken.

“We have to go to the Emirates, play as well as we know we are capable of and see if we can put an end to our poor run of league results on their ground.”

Barry admits the Gunners are one of the best teams to have visited the Etihad Stadium this season and with four wins and a draw in their last five games, Arsene Wenger’s men will go into the game in great form.

“They played some great football and they surprised me just how good they were that day and though we drew 1-1, they will be disappointed they’ve not played as well as that more often this season,” said the in-form England midfielder.

“We know there is a need for us to keep winning games because seven points is not a small gap and we can’t allow that to increase, but sometimes the pressure can actually flip around to the team in front and the one chasing can go into games more relaxed and we’re not going to let it overly worry us at this point.

...Gareth Barry...

“If we continue to win games, apply pressure on United and keep doing what we’re doing, our confidence will be sky high by the time we get to the business end of the season and hopefully we’ll time things exactly right.”

Must say I'm rather fearful about this game. With something approaching our best team out (i.e. including Yaya, Nasri and Aguero) we're more than a match for Arsenal on paper, but even so we have a poor record against them and teams like them - that is to say, teams with excellent technique and high energy levels (think Dortmund, Madrid, Ajax, and remember also our away match in Munich last season).

We just don't seem to be able to cope and get pinned back in these games. And with key players out, we really are going to struggle. A midfield of Barry - Garcia - Milner is going to be chasing a lot of shadows unfortunately.

Mancini still hasn't found the answer to this conundrum and I'm not expecting him to on Sunday I'm afraid. Would love to be wrong, though.

EDIT: should say that if he does get a result (otherwise than via fluke - though if it is via fluke, I won't object ;)..) I would view it as a big step forward in the team's development and a huge positive for the remainder of the season.

Blueroses said:
I would be happy to see balo start up front maybe this can be the game his season turns... Dzeko can do a good job too. We will miss yaya but we have to cope.

Nervous, pretty much expecting a loss as the gooners always raise their game.

its a cert

LookIfoundmyKnob said:
Hilarious that people are putting Balo in the starting line-up.

How many goals has he scored for us this season?

1? 2? Can't remember since it's so few.
That's because you don't understand that we are without Aguero and two key midfielders so are quite likely to play one up front, and Balotelli is best suited to that role

He's also a far better player than you give him credit for......European Championships<br /><br />-- Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:41 pm --<br /><br />
FantasyIreland said:
Ric said:
Can't see us winning on Sunday, our record away at Arsenal is absolutely dire, and we'll miss Yaya, Nasri and Aguero badly. 1-0 to the Arsenal written all over it.

It does make you think,this 'incredible' squad we have assembled and yet we lose 3 players and many,myself included,believe we are fucked........
In addition to Richards, Rodwell, and Maicon.

Take RVP and or Rooney out of Utd's team and they are severely weakened.

Marvin said:
LookIfoundmyKnob said:
Hilarious that people are putting Balo in the starting line-up.

How many goals has he scored for us this season?

1? 2? Can't remember since it's so few.
That's because you don't understand that we are without Aguero and two key midfielders so are quite likely to play one up front, and Balotelli is best suited to that role

He's also a far better player than you give him credit for......European Championships

Mario had every ball gifted to him by Pirlo. So many people bring it up but refuse to give credit to where it is actually due and that is to Pirlo for orchestrating such a sublime piece of artwork.

News to me that Mario, who is a striker; cannot play without another striker.

It is also news to me that he is best suited for the role up front considering he has how many goals this season?

Tevez/Dzeko up front for me. I would rather have strikers who have bagged goals this season then one who might cost us one.

You never know Mario could start and do fabulous but I am going to bet against it this time.

This is an important match, Mancini you better not mess this up; otherwise look forward to my angry letter in the mail. It will be very angry.

How many games has Mario started back to back in the League?

Perhaps you had better find out before you criticise

I don't know what everyone is fearing Arsenal for!
This should help you feel better, comparing players 1 to 1.
Bold ones are better, ones left are pretty much equal imo.
Hart-Szczęsny
Zabaleta-Sagna
Kompany-Vermaelen
Nastasic-Koscielny
Clichy - Gibbs
Barry - Wilshere
Garcia- Arteta
Silva - Cazorla
Tevez-Walcott
Dzeko - Giroud
Balotelli-Podolski

Any possible changes

Milner-Ramsey
Sinclair- Arshavin/Gervinho/Ox

Man to Man we have so much more quality, relax and let the boys take control!
Arsenal aren't doing very well themselves, just watch on Sunday!

Arsenal 0-2 City

Stretfordian_Blue said:
Hart-Szczęsny
Zabaleta-Sagna
Kompany-Vermaelen
Nastasic-Koscielny
Clichy - Gibbs
Barry - Wilshere
Garcia- Arteta
Silva - Cazorla
Tevez-Walcott
Dzeko - Giroud
Balotelli-Podolski

Any possible changes

Milner-Ramsey

Arsenal 0-2 City

Could you compare us man-to-man with Sunderland? Individual quality doesn't matter in fixtures like this, good tactics and work ethic (both of which we've lacked in many trips to the Emirates) make the difference. We lost there last season with a stronger team than we'll be able to put out on Sunday, if Mancini has learned something from past fixtures against Arsenal though we might win.

LoveCity said:
Stretfordian_Blue said:
Hart-Szczęsny
Zabaleta-Sagna
Kompany-Vermaelen
Nastasic-Koscielny
Clichy - Gibbs
Barry - Wilshere
Garcia- Arteta
Silva - Cazorla
Tevez-Walcott
Dzeko - Giroud
Balotelli-Podolski

Any possible changes

Milner-Ramsey

Arsenal 0-2 City

Could you compare us man-to-man with Sunderland? Individual quality doesn't matter in fixtures like this, good tactics and work ethic (both of which we've lacked in many trips to the Emirates) make the difference. We lost there last season with a stronger team than we'll be able to put out on Sunday, if Mancini has learned something from past fixtures against Arsenal though we might win.
All I got to say is Balotelli is better than Podolski! Obviously not, this made me literally laugh.

What subs are we looking at? Pantilimon, Nastasic/Lescott, Sinclair, 1 striker and then 3 youngsters? Same as Saturday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.