Arteta

The philosophy never changes in regards to retaining possession and dominating games, that’ll never ever change as far as Pep is concerned.

The adapting (e.g. Anfield last season) was simply to play Bernardo in a slightly deeper midfield role to give us different angles to play out from the back as Liverpool’s front three play so narrow. Bernardo coming deeper meant Walker and Mendy could stay as wide as possible so we always had an “out” from Liverpool’s intense pressing. We struggled to break them down as we had one less player in attacking areas but the philosophy never changed, just the formation to enable us to play the usual way.

Spurs away in hindsight was clearly a “don’t lose” deviation from the philosophy BUT I think that was entirely down to the fixture schedule, injuries and trying to protect players for the run in. I certainly don’t think if we had everyone fit (match fit and not just available because they could walk without crutches) we would play any different to usual.

And at the end of games, keeping it in the corners, direct ball from the goalkeeper with flickons, signing huge fast players at fullback etc etc.

We do not always play like Barca & neither did Bayern Munich, therefore, imo IF Vinny had the coaching talent, it is possible he would meet Pep's 'philosophy' & the adaptations of where it is now, & next, rather than where it used to be & thus not suffer from his lack of a Barca background. Is my point.

And at the end of games, keeping it in the corners, direct ball from the goalkeeper with flickons, signing huge fast players at fullback etc etc.

We do not always play like Barca & neither did Bayern Munich, therefore, imo IF Vinny had the coaching talent, it is possible he would meet Pep's 'philosophy' & the adaptations of where it is now, & next, rather than where it used to be & thus not suffer from his lack of a Barca background. Is my point.
My interpretation rightly or wrongly is that the ‘philosophy’ so to speak is winning, by playing attractive attacking possession football and regaining possession as quickly as possible when you lose it.

The adaptations for the Premier League (e.g. huge fast fullbacks) are simply a different way of implementing the same philosophy. We’re still winning playing attractive attacking football and regaining possession as quickly as possible, it’s just we use huge fast fullbacks because Premier League teams are far more physical and referees are far more lenient when it comes to opponents jumping into, pushing/pulling and essentially fouling our players with no punishment.

In terms of keeping the ball in the corners, I’ve seen Barcelona and Bayern both do that under Pep, maybe not taking the piss for half an hour like we did at Old Trafford but not far short. Please don’t ask for examples I’m an old man and my memory isn’t that good!! The long balls and flick ons are different, I can only think that he’s never had someone with the long passing range and consistency of Ederson to be able to utilise it as another attacking option.

If any further proof was needed.....that Vinny is the man to succeed Pep,then watch the mini series on City TV.
Wow,if ever a man was born to inspire and lead.....

donkeys years ago this sort of system worked as in assistant taking over from manager...

but now the desperate clubs around the PL that change mangers year in year out will clutch on to anything to survive or get success. I think there will be to much temptation for Arteta to earn a big salary rather than hang on to see if he could take over from pep.

But there will never be another pep no matter who takes the reigns, the guy is a one off. I just hope whoever takes over from him can still have some of the pep closing down plus put there own spin on it.

If any further proof was needed.....that Vinny is the man to succeed Pep,then watch the mini series on City TV.

I can't imagine there were many dry eyes after his farewell speech, and his rallying cry before the final game was a thing of beauty.

His time at Anderlecht will show us whether he has the tactical nouse, all the indicators are good, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility we might see him back here as manager, but nothing is done on sentiment at City.

No denying Arteta is learning from the master but I can see Vinnie coming back to manage us in another 3 or 4 years, he is doing the right thing going off to get some experience working on his own for a while first...!

being able to make a speech doesn't mean you can manage.

I'm sure many great speech givers over the years have tried and failed.

Ultimately it will be whether he can be fluid and tactically astute. Everything else is just an add on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.