Arteta

Whoever it is we may as well accept that it simply won't be as good as Pep. It's like trying to replace Messi. You can't.

Slightly off topic but we've heard several times that the players have come because of Pep. Whoever is next might need to deal with a new set of players if they up sticks

As long as we keep on winning trophies they will come, and have a manager who has worked with Pep, like Mikel, and adopts his sort of playing style they will keep on coming to the Etithad.

Probably.

But let's see how Vinny gets on in the meantime.

As much as I love Vinnie, he's never actually struck me as someone who will be a great manager. Not sure why. Hopefully I'm wrong...just doesn't feel right. Weird gut instinct.

As much as I love Vinnie, he's never actually struck me as someone who will be a great manager. Not sure why. Hopefully I'm wrong...just doesn't feel right. Weird gut instinct.

It is weird, he has displayed to the contrary for at least 5/6 years now

His calibre will be judged on his analytical abilities during ‘play’, as every other box is ticked!

It is weird, he has displayed to the contrary for at least 5/6 years now

His calibre will be judged on his analytical abilities during ‘play’, as every other box is ticked!

I agree. Doesn't make sense at all - it's just an odd gut instinct. Lots of great leaders on the pitch don't usually equate to great managers though. Vinnie's very much a passion guy when it comes to football on the pitch, as intelligent as he is. I think he's already made one odd error of judgement in agreeing to be a player manager. I don't think that's ever a good idea tbh. Conflates things and makes the job harder to be impartial. Think that's a little bit of pride kicking in and could affect his immediate development.

Obviously hope I'm wrong, and I most likely will be...but I just can't shake this nagging doubt. Can't fully put my finger on why either.

I agree. Doesn't make sense at all - it's just an odd gut instinct. Lots of great leaders on the pitch don't usually equate to great managers though. Vinnie's very much a passion guy when it comes to football on the pitch, as intelligent as he is. I think he's already made one odd error of judgement in agreeing to be a player manager. I don't think that's ever a good idea tbh. Conflates things and makes the job harder to be impartial. Think that's a little bit of pride kicking in and could affect his immediate development.

Obviously hope I'm wrong, and I most likely will be...but I just can't shake this nagging doubt. Can't fully put my finger on why either.
I think being a leader, understanding the game etc is one thing, but COACHING the game is totally different. Being a good student doesn’t mean you’re a good teacher.

For example, I love photography, videography. Outside of football, it’s my biggest passion. But do I have what it takes to teach it to others in the form of a YouTube channel? Not even close. Just because I understand it doesn’t mean I can be Peter McKinnon. Just because I like football and understand cameras, doesn’t mean I could do what you do on your channel. It’s totally different.

I'm going off the comments by team mates & the impression he makes on those around him.

But also that imo, when the team has wobbled or individual defenders have gone to shit, he has often reappeared & in a short time, those players look decent again. Under all 3 managers it's happened.

That has always suggested to me, that it's him guiding them.

Of course that doesn't mean he can analyse a game or an opposition like Pep does & come up with a genius plan. But...if anyone can, he would be the most outstanding candidate so far, imo.

He seems to have the required presence, even the tv mafia won't take liberties with him. Bellamy actually said that in his opinion he was above the level of the football business & thought he would be a big figure outside.

But of course, if he can't coach, then he can't coach. So we'll have to wait & see.

I think being a leader, understanding the game etc is one thing, but COACHING the game is totally different. Being a good student doesn’t mean you’re a good teacher.

For example, I love photography, videography. Outside of football, it’s my biggest passion. But do I have what it takes to teach it to others in the form of a YouTube channel? Not even close. Just because I understand it doesn’t mean I can be Peter McKinnon. Just because I like football and understand cameras, doesn’t mean I could do what you do on your channel. It’s totally different.

I totally agree with that.

I have stuff I'm good at & often have people asking me to teach them but I could never teach what I do. The basics yes but not the advanced stuff.

But Vinny seems to me, the kind of person who would relish that. Like Pep.

We'll find out anyhow.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.