Artificial Intelligence

Damocles said:
YoungBlue said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19354994

Just read this article and it seems we're getting closer and closer to the possibility of AI's.
As a human race, I think we're incapable of developing these in a controlled environment as a well designed AI is expected to have the capability to self improve itself. Being technology at it's finest themselves, the risk of them surpassing all the constraints of human intelligence is more than possible.

Then what happens when an AI actually becomes smarter than a human? It will be impossible for any human to fully understand as they will then just keep improving itself as much as it possibly can, which could make it stupidly hard to predict, maybe understanding the laws of logic far better than any human can.

What does everyone else think about this? I hope I'm not the only one who gives a shit!

We have nowhere near the computing power for the type of robots that you are talking about. I can't see us having it any time in the next few decades either.

Damocles, they're already demonstrating some breakthroughs if you read through the technology section of bbc news. I agree that we're years away from it, but there's no denial that it's going to happen at some point, regardless of the consequences.

YoungBlue said:
Damocles said:
YoungBlue said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19354994

Just read this article and it seems we're getting closer and closer to the possibility of AI's.
As a human race, I think we're incapable of developing these in a controlled environment as a well designed AI is expected to have the capability to self improve itself. Being technology at it's finest themselves, the risk of them surpassing all the constraints of human intelligence is more than possible.

Then what happens when an AI actually becomes smarter than a human? It will be impossible for any human to fully understand as they will then just keep improving itself as much as it possibly can, which could make it stupidly hard to predict, maybe understanding the laws of logic far better than any human can.

What does everyone else think about this? I hope I'm not the only one who gives a shit!

We have nowhere near the computing power for the type of robots that you are talking about. I can't see us having it any time in the next few decades either.

Damocles, they're already demonstrating some breakthroughs if you read through the technology section of bbc news. I agree that we're years away from it, but there's no denial that it's going to happen at some point, regardless of the consequences.

The breakthrough which has made worldwide news is that they have gotten a robot to recognise itself. This is not intelligence. Intelligence is independent thought, we don't have the language electronically to make a computer have independent thought yet. Perhaps when quantum computing is more of a reality and we can have states of binary superposition then it will be possible. For now, all robots will just do what they are told to whatever complexity that the programmer has designed.
We don't even understand how we work, which is why we can't make computers work like us.

Damocles said:
YoungBlue said:
Damocles said:

The breakthrough which has made worldwide news is that they have gotten a robot to recognise itself. This is not intelligence. Intelligence is independent thought, we don't have the language electronically to make a computer have independent thought yet. Perhaps when quantum computing is more of a reality and we can have states of binary superposition then it will be possible. For now, all robots will just do what they are told to whatever complexity that the programmer has designed.
We don't even understand how we work, which is why we can't make computers work like us.

Is that not the point of the main function being self-improvement? Leading to my further point of them developing themselves as smarter beings than humans.

I do agree though that the development of quantum computing, superposition and the likes of quantum entanglement (which is already being developed upon) will help. I don't think it's gonna be long before it happens though.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
TheMightyQuinn said:
Atheist scientists trying to build God.

Seriously TMQ,as someone with your best interests at heart,it's time to put the hot knives and the bong away for a bit.

I'm only warning everyone of what's to come. All AI's eventually turn against their creators and attempt to destroy them.

TheMightyQuinn said:
TheMightyQuinn said:
Atheist scientists trying to build God.

Seriously TMQ,as someone with your best interests at heart,it's time to put the hot knives and the bong away for a bit.

I'm only warning everyone of what's to come. All AI's eventually turn against their creators and attempt to destroy them.
Only after the illuminati have eaten all the money and Icke turns out to be the main lizard man

YoungBlue said:
danburge82 said:
As long as we can always press the 'off' button I'm sure it will be a positive. If we end up with The Matrix I think we'll be making a mistake.

That's my point though, they're designed to learn from mistakes and constantly improve themselves. What happens when they find a way to disable the 'off' button?

How do they know what a mistake is to be able to learn from it?

BoyBlue_1985 said:
TheMightyQuinn said:

Only after the illuminati have eaten all the money and Icke turns out to be the main lizard man

It's interesting that Godless people feel inclined to program a superior intelligence to revere and praise.

Eventually the robots always turn against their creator, just look at the atheist threads on here.

The parallels are striking.

Damocles said:
YoungBlue said:
Damocles said:

But we don't want it to have independent thought though Damocles.
We just want it to do as it's told and not answer back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.