Artificial Intelligence

strongbowholic said:
2sheikhs said:
Damocles said:
The breakthrough which has made worldwide news is that they have gotten a robot to recognise itself. This is not intelligence. Intelligence is independent thought, we don't have the language electronically to make a computer have independent thought yet. Perhaps when quantum computing is more of a reality and we can have states of binary superposition then it will be possible. For now, all robots will just do what they are told to whatever complexity that the programmer has designed.
We don't even understand how we work, which is why we can't make computers work like us.
But we don't want it to have independent thought though Damocles.
We just want it to do as it's told and not answer back.

That's basically just describing a standard robot/machine. AI's are supposed to, to some extent, have their own method and learning standards. There is always the potential for them to continue improving themselves exponentially, like I said earlier, becoming more intelligent than humans, then we will have barely any understanding of the way they work, and they then have the potential to do things we haven't even thought of yet.

YoungBlue said:
strongbowholic said:
2sheikhs said:

That's basically just describing a standard robot/machine. AI's are supposed to, to some extent, have their own method and learning standards. There is always the potential for them to continue improving themselves exponentially, like I said earlier, becoming more intelligent than humans, then we will have barely any understanding of the way they work, and they then have the potential to do things we haven't even thought of yet.

Exactly.

The chances of a full nuclear holocaust brought about by a non human catalyst creeps ever closer.

The only thing man struggles to create is free will.

TheMightyQuinn said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
When did we build robots that turned against us

We didn't.
It is a bonkers analogy,but increasingly par for the course on here.
Drugs can sometimes broaden the mind,but they can also cause it to go missing now and again.

There's a lot of evidence which suggests that this planet has been populated by advanced civilizations at least twice before our current time.

The history of the universe is essentially man v robot on a physical, spiritual and mental plane.

Please show me this evidence

TheMightyQuinn said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
When did we build robots that turned against us

We didn't.
Drugs can sometimes broaden the mind,but they can also cause it to go missing now and again.

There's a lot of evidence which suggests that this planet has been populated by advanced civilizations at least twice before our current time.

No,there isn't.
Erich Von Daniken may have made a lucrative career out of suggesting it,but there is no hard evidence whatsoever to support this theory.
It is almost as deluded a concept as creationism.

Damocles said:
TheMightyQuinn said:
We didn't.

The history of the universe is essentially man v robot on a physical, spiritual and mental plane.

Google it.

YoungBlue said:
Bert Trautmann's Parachute said:
YoungBlue said:
That's my point though, they're designed to learn from mistakes and constantly improve themselves. What happens when they find a way to disable the 'off' button?

How do they know what a mistake is to be able to learn from it?

By being a learning system. A bog standard example being a chess game playing on the computer, if it's to make a wrong move and you win, the next game, it'll learn not to make the same mistake, so on and so forth.

How does the computer then get from this simple causal relation to the free will necessary to disable the 'off' button? In other words, how does a computer move from 'this works/doesn't work' to 'if I do this that will happen'?

strongbowholic said:
2sheikhs said:
Damocles said:
The breakthrough which has made worldwide news is that they have gotten a robot to recognise itself. This is not intelligence. Intelligence is independent thought, we don't have the language electronically to make a computer have independent thought yet. Perhaps when quantum computing is more of a reality and we can have states of binary superposition then it will be possible. For now, all robots will just do what they are told to whatever complexity that the programmer has designed.
We don't even understand how we work, which is why we can't make computers work like us.
No, that's what you want from a woman.
I was talking about the lady robots in Westworld. You could wake up in the morning and just say to it "do us a full english and a cup of tea love, then go and get me a paper and a few cans". The only thing that comes close to that at the moment is a thai mail order bride.

TheMightyQuinn said:
We didn't.

No,there isn't.
Erich Von Daniken may have made a lucrative career out of suggesting it,but there is no hard evidence whatsoever to support this theory.
It is almost as deluded a concept as creationism.

There are different levels of consciousness and in advanced states of transcendence it is possible to witness extra and inner terrestrial activity. It's just not common knowledge or taught in schools.

TheMightyQuinn said:
Damocles said:
TheMightyQuinn said:

Google it.

Why is it that every time I ask a theist to show me the evidence that they say exists, they always say no? Funny that.

YoungBlue said:
How do they know what a mistake is to be able to learn from it?

By being a learning system. A bog standard example being a chess game playing on the computer, if it's to make a wrong move and you win, the next game, it'll learn not to make the same mistake, so on and so forth.

How does the computer then get from this simple causal relation to the free will necessary to disable the 'off' button? In other words, how does a computer move from 'this works/doesn't work' to 'if I do this that will happen'?

As they haven't actually reached stages of true development yet, I'd imagine AI's would use a much more complex method, probably involving quantum computing as Damocles mentioned earlier, and not something as simple as a computer algorithm created to stop it losing a game of chess. These aren't designed to expand knowledge as AI's would be, only to learn from a set amount of given mistakes displayed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.