Atalanta CL (H) Post Match Thread

They do indeed. We did well to keep them down to 1 goal and even the foul for their pen could have been committed outside the box if Fern was more used to playing centre back.

Yep, not trying to excuse some of our poor play or lack of control, just giving credit where it's due. I think the game at the San Siro could well be a cracker.

No card for this but two for Foden - go figure

bDDC20332.jpg
That's why I was going mad... the ref was letting them off for the same offences our players were getting booked for.

They had one with Bergamo on it up all game and had two others in the second half. One was a ten year anniversary of something that happened to Stefano, it had “veritas” too, so guess they are asking for the truth.
the other one I can’t fully remember, but it had a Union Jack flag with a name that might have been Greg on it.
Hi, the first one was to remember a scandalous killing of a young men (Stefano Cucchi) by italian "carabinieri/police" which just received some justice after so many years: few officers found guilty of beating him to death as well as others for trying to "cover" their pals during investigations.
This may also be related to another guy killed in 1993 just outside Bergamo's stadium by a police attack (no one convicted for that fact) as well as to what happened last february when an entire group of policemen stopped and assaulted a bus of Atalanta's fans on on the way back from Florence on the motorway without any reason (photos and videos can be found online). Truth hasn't come out yet after months despite the evidence and witnesses. It was a way to remind public opinion in italy not to forget police misbehaviours which is too often covered by authorities...

I didn't see the second banner (union Jack) so I can't be of any help. I know Atalanta's has few fans also abroad so it may just be one of them having his personal banner.

I'd like anyone willing to answer a couple of questions:
1) Why almost the whole stadium booed the Champions League anthem?
2) Why there was pratically no City fansgroup starting songs and supporting your team during the game (as italians fans usually do for the whole game? I heard some lively support only when City was leading 3 or 4-1 for instance...
3) Why they put "away" stands close to what looked to be the most "lively" part of City fans (south stand) instead of placing them as they always do in the opposite part of the stadium? this is like putting fire & petrol close each other isn't it?!?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
On a side note, their ‘ultras’ in town weren't quite what I was expecting ‘ultra light’ ? Hard to say what I made of them, got into town before 12 and had next to no interaction with them.
What did you expect from atalanta's ultras if I may ask? For sure (and fortunately) they aren't anymore what they used to be 15-20 years ago so I think it is good for everyone. But they are still very loud during the game as you may have heard at Etihad despite only less than 3k tickets were assigned them (in Dortmund two years ago they were about 8k and much louder than yesterday)

Last edited:
What did you expect from atalanta's ultras if I may ask? For sure (and fortunately) they aren't anymore what they used to be 15-20 years ago so I think it is good for everyone. But they are still very loud during the game as you may have seen at Etihad.
Thought they might have been more Celtic than Southend, but loud an proud in the stadium so hats off, thought they might of had more of a presence at Sinclairs, hope you enjoyed your time over here.

Hi, the first one was to remember a scandalous killing of a young men (Stefano Cucchi) by italian "carabinieri/police" which just received some justice after so many years: few officers found guilty of beating him to death as well as others for trying to "cover" their pals during investigations.
This may also be related to another guy killed in 1993 just outside Bergamo's stadium by a police attack (no one convicted for that fact) as well as to what happened last february when an entire group of policemen stopped and assaulted a bus of Atalanta's fans on on the way back from Florence on the motorway without any reason (photos and videos can be found online). Truth hasn't come out yet after months despite the evidence and witnesses. It was a way to remind public opinion in italy not to forget police misbehaviours which is too often covered by authorities...

I didn't see the second banner (union Jack) so I can't be of any help. I know Atalanta's has few fans also abroad so it may just be one of them having his personal banner.

1) Why almost the whole stadium booed the Champions League hymn?
2) Why there was pratically no City fansgroup starting songs and supporting your team during the game (as italians fans usually do for the whole game? I heard some lively support only when City was leading 3 or 4-1 for instance...
3) Why they put "away" stands close to what looked to be the most "lively" part of City fans (south stand) instead of placing them as they always do in the opposite part of the stadium? this is like putting fire & petrol close each other isn't it?!?
Thanks in advance.
1. Because UEFA not only moved the goalposts over FFP they also banned us from going to Shaktar because of problems with their fans. Only problem was many fans had already booked and paid for flights and accommodation and UEFA refused to let fans in nor recompense them. Made matters worse by allowing home fans in by pretending they were corporate fans which they weren't. Also had issues with being on the end of some dodgy decisions and awful refs i.e. a Spanish ref with Pep as a figure head for Catalonian independence isn't sensible
2. That's the English game for you, we don't have cheerleaders with drums and megaphones
3. Always been the case at City. With a small away following it's just the lower tier given over to away fans and the home fans are in level two and three. One year we gave a small section of the third tier to a club who brought about 100 fans - can't remember who and I have a feeling it's happened at other games but my memory isn't as good as it used to be. Also when the ground was built a coach park was built at that end of the stadium making it easy for the police to get away fans in and out of the ground safely (in theory).

1. Because UEFA not only moved the goalposts over FFP they also banned us from going to Shaktar because of problems with their fans. Only problem was many fans had already booked and paid for flights and accommodation and UEFA refused to let fans in nor recompense them. Made matters worse by allowing home fans in by pretending they were corporate fans which they weren't. Also had issues with being on the end of some dodgy decisions and awful refs i.e. a Spanish ref with Pep as a figure head for Catalonian independence isn't sensible
2. That's the English game for you, we don't have cheerleaders with drums and megaphones
3. Always been the case at City. With a small away following it's just the lower tier given over to away fans and the home fans are in level two and three. One year we gave a small section of the third tier to a club who brought about 100 fans - can't remember who and I have a feeling it's happened at other games but my memory isn't as good as it used to be. Also when the ground was built a coach park was built at that end of the stadium making it easy for the police to get away fans in and out of the ground safely (in theory).
-------------------
Thanks for taking the time to reply. N.1 is really terrible what Uefa did... wasn't aware of that so I think the booes are more than justified. N.2 it looked a kind of sad for me being used to "loud" fans here in italy and also on few EU games (Dortmund were the best at it) n.3 well I see not only in italy top people take doubtful decisions ;)

1) Why almost the whole stadium booed the Champions League anthem?
Thanks in advance.

1) We have witnessed many examples of UEFA corruption including:
- being fined more for starting a half 30 seconds than are opponents were racially abusing players.
- being banned from going into the Stadium in Moscow without refunding tickets because our opponents had a home stadium ban. Then thousands of Moscow fans watched the game live
- Lots of dubious refereeing decisions against us.

2. I was surprised our Singing Section didn’t make more noise but there is a general lack of passion for the CL. For example, my brother no longer goes because of UEFA corruption even though I buy his ticket.

3. The police decide where the away section is. Our usually livelier fans buy tickets in the blocks nearby for a better atmosphere. There is rarely any significant trouble in English grounds these days.

For information, I met with Atalanta fans in Sinclairs for a drink before the game. Our Group was interviewed for Italian TV. The Atalanta fans were all good people but there wasn’t a lot of them, partly because of how your Club distributed tickets to prioritise corporate / charter flight customers (who arrived into Manchester late).

The Atalanta fans who I helped with tickets let me down, I think because tickets in the Atalanta end became available on match day. You might make more noise but it doesn’t make your fans better than ours. I still helped an Atalanta fan to get into the ground who was struggling (for free) lol.

Thought they might have been more Celtic than Southend, but loud an proud in the stadium so hats off, thought they might of had more of a presence at Sinclairs, hope you enjoyed your time over here.
Well, I think everyone had nice time in Manchester, enjoyed beer and visited your top spot. Unfortunately we arrived quite late around 5pm so we had really no more time than having a pint and a fish & chips at Piccadilly Tavern before going to the stadium. We enjoyed very much the walk back to piccadilly from Eithad along a small canal with some
really lovely and pictoresque neighborhood. Some mates staying two nights could enjoy your town more extensively and liked it very much.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.