Atletico (A) - Post-Match Thread

I wouldn't say that Atletico were unable to fully compete. They played very well for the majority of the second half and had us on the back foot many times. It brought the best out of our defenders, and made for a great game in my opinion.

Football isn't all about Fancy Dan pas pass pass possession stuff, it's a tough game that sorts men from boys. The fans in the stadium loved it, and made the ground a cauldron of noise. It meant so much to them. It was a proper battle.

Sport isn't meant to be pretty, and participants aren't meant to be wrapped in cotton wool. What we saw last night was genuine passion and two great rivals battling for a prize.

Proper football.
No, by proper football I guess you mean hard but fair tackling,defensive football,fair enough which isn't the same as what they did last night. What they did was as bad as what was called out as dirty even back in the days of leeds.

No he didnt , nobody has pressed us like that since pep arrived , it was a brilliant performance under duress and thuggery

Thought the players were mentally immense last night putting up with all sorts.

In my opinion Pep made all the right subs taking off the ineffective KDB & Bernie & putting on the experience of Fernie & pace of Raz. However, I was disappointed he didn't change the tactics with these subs. The attackers & midfield needed to get closer to the defenders to give them better options which more than often left with no option but to hoof it long to Phil who was never going to win headers. The Atletico pressing was impressive but all it needed were better quality on the ball to release Raz which would have made them think twice in pressing us so aggressively.

Anyway, all academic as we're in the semi finals!

Thought the players were mentally immense last night putting up with all sorts.

In my opinion Pep made all the right subs taking off the ineffective KDB & Bernie & putting on the experience of Fernie & pace of Raz. However, I was disappointed he didn't change the tactics with these subs. The attackers & midfield needed to get closer to the defenders to give them better options which more than often left with no option but to hoof it long to Phil who was never going to win headers. The Atletico pressing was impressive but all it needed were better quality on the ball to release Raz which would have made them think twice in pressing us so aggressively.

Anyway, all academic as we're in the semi finals!
Is KDB not injured hence substituted

Not a night for the faint-hearted. Have to really applaud the fact we stood up to their thuggery and didn't react. To a man the team were excellent. Having said that it's not what I want to be watching every week - tough and physical games are no problem, but not the cynical and disgraceful stuff we saw last night. What I find very strange, if you allowed this Atletico side to play (as opposed to just not concede) they would probably steamroller a lot of sides. They have the talent, it's just their mindless, negative, cheating mentality and tactics that stops them. The team that wanted to play football over the two legs won, so I've no sympathy for those fucking animals. Hope UEFA hammer them.....but likely they won't.

Phil Foden - a very old head on very young shoulders. He was immense.

I wouldn't say that Atletico were unable to fully compete. They played very well for the majority of the second half and had us on the back foot many times. It brought the best out of our defenders, and made for a great game in my opinion.

Football isn't all about Fancy Dan pas pass pass possession stuff, it's a tough game that sorts men from boys. The fans in the stadium loved it, and made the ground a cauldron of noise. It meant so much to them. It was a proper battle.

Sport isn't meant to be pretty, and participants aren't meant to be wrapped in cotton wool. What we saw last night was genuine passion and two great rivals battling for a prize.

Proper football.
There were only two bad tackles over the two legs. There’s nothing wrong with the way Atlético played or play in general, I don’t think they’re a particularly dirty team, and other than Felipe none of their players did anything that dangerous (the mid-air late body check on Foden and the late challenge on Kev which were two dangerous tackles). They were a bit physical but nothing out of the ordinary.

What was funny was seeing their attitude unravel in front of our eyes because they couldn’t handle us playing them at their own game with diving, rolling around, wasting time, moaning at the ref, winding them up, laughing in their faces, calling them names, players rushing off the bench and running onto the pitch, manager laughing at their players, manager moaning at the ref and pointing at their bench… and making it all seem like it was them who were at fault because we did it in a way where we kept our cool and they lost the plot! That’s what they usually do and they couldn’t understand or accept us doing it back to them.

I reckon they’ll fucking hate us after last night!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.