Atletico (H) | CL QF 1st Leg | Post Match Thread

This side has become almost completely risk averse. We have 3 players who try something/anything out of the norm and one of those spent most of tonight on the bench. We have KDB, Foden and Cancelo who will actually try to make something happen, without them we would play sideways for 90 mins. I’m all for keeping possession, but at some point you have to try and hurt the opposition and KDB is arguably more integral than he has ever been to making that happen. Until the likes of Sterling, Mahrez, Grealish, Bernie and Gundo turn up and hurt the opposition on a regular basis it is unthinkable that KDB is left out.
Tonight was Marez worst 60 minutes this season he was awfull, Sterling was given the batten after a decent game against Burnley & a decent England performance but he was also pants

Berny never touched the ball for nearly 20 minutes he was wasted at 9

Add the poor passing from Cancelo, Rodri & Gundagun you can safely say we're were half the problem alongside a shit tactical Madrid team, how can anyone watch that team all season

Soon as the 3 subs went off the gaps started to open with Phil & Jack doing more in 10 minutes than the 3 who went off in 60

To be honest Pep could have easily taken off Kev, Rodri, Berny also but soon as Berny dropped back in & Phils movement was added we looked better

I counted nearly 13 minutes in that 1st 45 the ball wasn't in play its a fucking joke how they play & get away with it

It's a very very tough 14 days but a good start

City defense was spot on, Cancelo dawdled on the ball once and lost possession near our goal but otherwise they were totally focused. Rodri and Gundo both a bit loose w/passing and the attack generally had issues with pulling off the key pass until Foden's arrival. That ref was pure trash, and obviously not up for this type of match, was glad to get out of it with only Jesus banned. Was so worried he would card Kevin for some ghost foul. Apologies to any fans of Romanian Liga 1, but that level is just not good enough to draw a CL quarterfinal ref from! Kovacs was making me yell in exasperation almost as much as the Atleti shithouse behaviors

I decided not to post but then thought fuck it, it needs to be said, so..... it was a tense match, there were nerves amongst the fans, but that is top level football.
I would hate the Greek style, where a bare chested leader spends 90 minutes with his back to the match, getting the rest to chant in a totally orchestrated way. Leave the fans alone, stop slagging us off.

I felt when they got the ball tonight ( it wasnt often) that they got themselves into very good positions very quickly. If i get a chance to rewatch it I'll post the match times ie minutes, seconds & which half.
Two moments stand out.
the very intricate passing in their left back position and all of a sudden they were through us. we caught them offside brilliantly and fortunately

and when Griezmann broke free. Not sure quite how that happened it was so fast and incisive. Gundog was amazing at getting back to snuff it out.

The rest of the time it seemed the game plan was to ping a diagonal into the space on our left flank. They didn’t even look. It was a swing of the foot and hope for the most part.

Felix is a £113 million defender basically

That’s a fair point but the suspicion has persisted since our wonderful spell last season either side of Christmas that we actually play better without him in the team. For me it’s a marginal call as to whether his potential game changing moments outweigh the amount of times he loses possession especially with the way the dippers play. I wouldn’t risk it - we can always bring him on later in the game if we need him.

You're being serious aren't you?

Two moments stand out.
the very intricate passing in their left back position and all of a sudden they were through us. we caught them offside brilliantly and fortunately

and when Griezmann broke free. Not sure quite how that happened it was so fast and incisive. Gundog was amazing at getting back to snuff it out.

The rest of the time it seemed the game plan was to ping a diagonal into the space on our left flank. They didn’t even look. It was a swing of the foot and hope for the most part.

Felix is a £113 million defender basically
Yep, they make a break fast.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.