Atmosphere - 2023/24

• Thread starter Deleted member 77198
  • Start date
There is a huge problem with ticket distribution. I was in 306, near the back. 4 of us together, 3 empty seats beside me, 2 on our right, 3 more in front, 2 behind. I counted at least 20 in a very small area around us. I don't care about empty seat jibes, that game is sold out since last July, so every seat is sold, but there are Blues on this and other forums begging for tickets, but very few were offered, none were reappearing on the planner as returns either. This isn't really a season ticket holder part of the ground, so I don't accept it's simply ST holders who can't make a 12:30 game, and who don't relist them, that's not credible.

There were scousers everywhere, a whole row behind us were ejected, and many more outbreaks of scouser spotting in adjacent blocks, and you can tell from many around us that they were at best neutral, and many were at their first game. But this game has a minimum previous attendance requirement, it was a safety issue, many non-regular Blues didn't qualify for tickets.

I think the club sells thousands of tickets to agencies, Stubhub and Livefootball had hundreds available for this game, they have still about 1,000 available for Spurs and the Derby. Say they get 3,000 from the club at £70 each. That's £210k. They generally sell these for about £250 each for the big games, (after they add fees etc), so if they only sold 2,500, they'd still pull in £625k, a huge profit. They don't care about the other 500 they bought from the club, the "sold but empty" problem which we all see. They have no incentive to reduce prices, or discount the remaining tickets, economically they are much better leaving them empty than selling more cheaply.

Their purchasers don't need memberships, don't need a purchase history, don't need to be City fans. The club likes it because it broadens the global fan base, the resale sites have greater reach, and the punters are likely to buy more in the club shop. Also the "game sold out" narrative helps the resellers, so you're "lucky" to get those secondary tickets for a big game £250.

That's why we have significant numbers of "sold but empty" seats in certain parts of the ground, why we have opposition fans of Liverpool, Arsenal, United and others in the back rows of the third tier, and why we have passionless casual observers in significant parts of the ground.

The club is hugely popular at the moment, we could fill the ground with enthusiastic genuine fans. If the club wanted to improve the atmosphere by selling tickets at face value to passionate fans, without an "all comers" JCL ticket lottery, or through the touting agencies, they could fill every single seat with loud Blues. They choose not to do that. It drives me nuts seeing so many empties at big "sold out" games, with huge unmet demand on the bluemoon ticket forum.

It's the wrong policy, for so many reasons, but they won't listen though. It's easy to knock the atmosphere at times, and blame the fans, but the club's own ticket selling policy is a very significant part of the issue. Easier to blame us than change that apparently.
Nail on the head.
Top post.

Well he was just sort of asked about it in his presser, but played it down as he was not understanding the question, as it wasn't a direct dig into what he was doing.

Hope they can come tomorrow was the response, it's a fine line this, he can either act like he doesn't understand the question or stop being a conductor going forward.

But surely he's not daft enough to know he needs us on his side, I'm just worried it won't be the last time he acts like a night at the proms.

There is a huge problem with ticket distribution. I was in 306, near the back. 4 of us together, 3 empty seats beside me, 2 on our right, 3 more in front, 2 behind. I counted at least 20 in a very small area around us. I don't care about empty seat jibes, that game is sold out since last July, so every seat is sold, but there are Blues on this and other forums begging for tickets, but very few were offered, none were reappearing on the planner as returns either. This isn't really a season ticket holder part of the ground, so I don't accept it's simply ST holders who can't make a 12:30 game, and who don't relist them, that's not credible.

There were scousers everywhere, a whole row behind us were ejected, and many more outbreaks of scouser spotting in adjacent blocks, and you can tell from many around us that they were at best neutral, and many were at their first game. But this game has a minimum previous attendance requirement, it was a safety issue, many non-regular Blues didn't qualify for tickets.

I think the club sells thousands of tickets to agencies, Stubhub and Livefootball had hundreds available for this game, they have still about 1,000 available for Spurs and the Derby. Say they get 3,000 from the club at £70 each. That's £210k. They generally sell these for about £250 each for the big games, (after they add fees etc), so if they only sold 2,500, they'd still pull in £625k, a huge profit. They don't care about the other 500 they bought from the club, the "sold but empty" problem which we all see. They have no incentive to reduce prices, or discount the remaining tickets, economically they are much better leaving them empty than selling more cheaply.

Their purchasers don't need memberships, don't need a purchase history, don't need to be City fans. The club likes it because it broadens the global fan base, the resale sites have greater reach, and the punters are likely to buy more in the club shop. Also the "game sold out" narrative helps the resellers, so you're "lucky" to get those secondary tickets for a big game £250.

That's why we have significant numbers of "sold but empty" seats in certain parts of the ground, why we have opposition fans of Liverpool, Arsenal, United and others in the back rows of the third tier, and why we have passionless casual observers in significant parts of the ground.

The club is hugely popular at the moment, we could fill the ground with enthusiastic genuine fans. If the club wanted to improve the atmosphere by selling tickets at face value to passionate fans, without an "all comers" JCL ticket lottery, or through the touting agencies, they could fill every single seat with loud Blues. They choose not to do that. It drives me nuts seeing so many empties at big "sold out" games, with huge unmet demand on the bluemoon ticket forum.

It's the wrong policy, for so many reasons, but they won't listen though. It's easy to knock the atmosphere at times, and blame the fans, but the club's own ticket selling policy is a very significant part of the issue. Easier to blame us than change that apparently.

Top post Greenandblue.

It's a shame Khaldoon, Soriano and Danny Wilson won't see it or read it.

Even if they did, I don't think they'd be bothered about what's going on with the tickets.

Couldn't agree more with this post. Well said.

Top post. There is a huge issue with the club giving thousands of tickets to ticket agencies at the moment. Who do we have that will stand up for our fans and against the club on this issue though?

Feels like the fan base have no voice again. The city matters reps should be bringing this up with the club.

Top post. There is a huge issue with the club giving thousands of tickets to ticket agencies at the moment. Who do we have that can bring that up to the club though?

Feels like the fan base have no voice again.
Is City Matters still a thing? I’m probably just out of the loop but I’ve no idea if they’re still going, and if so would they take this kind of issue up with the club?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.