Auctioning the naming rights to the stadium

Well when Cook introduced the 44% increase in revenue earlier this year he said something to the effect that the stadium naming rights would bring in a potentially huge revenue, and that was yet to come.

So it's obviously on the cards.

danburge82 said:
dref619 said:
if it was maine road maybe id be more bothered, but the city of Manchester stadium as a name doesnt really mean anything to me, as said somewhere in the transfer forum, itl be the etihad arena

There's already an Etihad Arena Stadium at the docklands in Melbourne:
etihad.jpg

Can there be two stadiums with the same name?

Melbourne's got fuck all on Beswick anyway

I believe an open auction to be a brilliant idea.

If you think in relation to the UEFA spending rules, they caveat it with a 'Realistic Market Value'.

However, in an open bid, rivals invariably pay over the odds, it's basically what someone is prepared to pay for it.

Far be it from me to suggest that any auction could be loaded with one or two vested interests.

As for Etihad Stadium, although it has a nice ring to it and the template for it is in Melbourne.

I would wager we would not hamstring our revenue potential. Etihad sponsoring shirt and stadium does not make sense.

Etihad would not need to get involved in any open auction.

Etihad have a marker for fair market value in terms of the Barca/Qatar tie-up.

Which is why I think Etihad will basically pump in £25m a year on the shirts.

And another blue chip will go £30m a year on the stadium and related developments.

dannybcity said:
WTGD!! said:
I agree. But I hate the fact that its open to abuse. Suppose it would be a very expensive practical joke though!

My thinking here is that a rich "friend of the owner" will win this auction, plough a load of money in, and we break even on the financial fair play rules ;-)

That can't be done, FIFA/UEFA which ever one it is, will decide if what the company has paid is reasonable or not.

Cant do that on naming rights i dont think cos of how long the name stays ( whos to say 100 years or more) but sponsorship is different..there was talk of 300 mill for the new dippers stadium when built. when will it end ?? fifa put prices on transfers next. ?

bluewigmcfc said:
how can we sell the name to the stadium when we don,t own it? will the council get a cut?

All the indications are that City and the council have recently renegotiated the terms and conditions.

Clearly leveraged that a £120m stadium is only a small part of a £1 billion private investment.

The council know we could easily leave and build elsewhere.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.